U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM

1,819 posts, read 655,709 times

Advertisements

thank you newtovenice:

1. yes, this is a well-known side-effect that has been public for many years.
2. although not everyone will know about it since this might be their first child.
3. thank you again for the reminder. you just might have prevented a crisis.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 PM

8,049 posts, read 3,197,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Suicidal ideation 100% due to Tamiflu.

Self harm, 100% due to Tamiflu.

Delusions of someone wanting to kill her, 100% due to Tamiflu.

Crying/laughing mental swings, 100% due to Tamiflu.
How awful for your friend, and her daughter, and how scary!

But I have to say, no, all these affects aren't caused 100% by Tamiflu, or else, every single person who took Tamiflu would experience these side effects.

It's a coming together of things. The girl has something that predisposes her to those horrible side effects, that other people don't have, or else everyone who took Tamiflu would react the same way. It may be as simple as another virus she was carrying at the time, or it may be as complicated as she's predisposed to suicidal ideations and paranoia, that, at the age of 5, hadn't really surfaced yet.

It's like smoking and cancer. Most people who smoke, don't get lung cancer. There are other factors. Smoking cigarettes alone doesn't cause cancer, despite what the public thinks. There's something else, another mitigating factor.

In this child's case, who knows what her other factors within her body aligned with this side affect to produce these horrible consequences. Tamiflu was the last ingredient of a perfect storm.

Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM

1,099 posts, read 680,650 times
Quote:
Um... did you miss the part where the doctor didn't tell them about the risks, but then said, oh, yeah, it's a side effect?

And yes, it was 100% caused by Tamiflu.
those handouts you get at the pharmacy? yeah, they contain a lot of information about side effects. i suggest people read them.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

22,113 posts, read 27,001,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
those handouts you get at the pharmacy? yeah, they contain a lot of information about side effects. i suggest people read them.
Yes, the only way to be ignorant about any medication you take is to not ask the doctor any questions and to not read the printed material that comes with the medication dispensed by the pharmacist. Your pharmacist is also there to answer questions.

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

8,049 posts, read 3,197,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
That's not really fair.

Medications have side effects, and usually you won't get them.

When you do, you have other mitigating factors that allowed those side effects to present.

Most typically if you take a medication you won't experience rare side effects, and you have to balance the value of the med against the risk of the side effect.

My guess is, these parents of the 5 year old didn't think their daughter was in the high risk category for these horrific effects, and they proceeded with tamiflu to relieve her of the flu symptoms.

But in fact, she was, mysteriously, in the high risk category unbeknownst to them.

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not really fair.

Medications have side effects, and usually you won't get them.

When you do, you have other mitigating factors that allowed those side effects to present.

Most typically if you take a medication you won't experience rare side effects, and you have to balance the value of the med against the risk of the side effect.

My guess is, these parents of the 5 year old didn't think their daughter was in the high risk category for these horrific effects, and they proceeded with tamiflu to relieve her of the flu symptoms.

But in fact, she was, mysteriously, in the high risk category unbeknownst to them.
The OP contends they were not told by the doctor about possible side effects. However, reading the printed material that accompanied the dispensed medication would have made them aware of them.

It is certainly possible, if not probable, that they would give the med even if they had read about the possible mental changes with the drug.

Old Today, 01:44 AM

5,384 posts, read 2,086,221 times
Quote:
I read your italic "uncommon" as sarcasm, as in ... more common.

And I had not heard of it and neither had my friends ... so it's new to me. Probably because I think tamiflu is a waste of time I never paid attention to whenever this was apparently big news?
When I intend a forum post to be sarcastic I say so. We all should know that electronic text has no tone. This side effect is uncommon.

Old Today, 04:26 AM

5,262 posts, read 1,747,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, the only way to be ignorant about any medication you take is to not ask the doctor any questions and to not read the printed material that comes with the medication dispensed by the pharmacist. Your pharmacist is also there to answer questions.
Let me clarify what you wrote:

1. Everyone should read package inserts and understand all the possible side effects of a drug.

2. After reading that information, they are responsible for deciding whether the risk is worth talking the drug. They can choose to take the drug or not take the drug.

3. If they take the drug and have a side effect, the responsibility of it is purely on the patient and caregiver, not the doctor or the manufacturer.

That's what you are saying, correct?

Old Today, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Let me clarify what you wrote:

1. Everyone should read package inserts and understand all the possible side effects of a drug.

2. After reading that information, they are responsible for deciding whether the risk is worth talking the drug. They can choose to take the drug or not take the drug.

3. If they take the drug and have a side effect, the responsibility of it is purely on the patient and caregiver, not the doctor or the manufacturer.

That's what you are saying, correct?
Yes. It is our responsibility as a patient or caregiver to be informed about every drug we take. It is ultimately the patient's decision to take the drug or not, with a clear understanding of the risks and whether the benefit of that drug outweighs the risk for the individual.

With respect to vaccines, the risk of a serious adverse reaction is tiny, on the order of one in a million doses. That means that the risk to benefit ratio of a vaccine is greatly skewed toward benefit.

Side effects are inevitable with every drug, whether prescription or over the counter. If a side effect is inherent in the nature of the drug, that does not make the drug defective, and if I experience that side effect I should not expect the doctor who prescribed it or the company that made it to be "responsible", by which you mean "pay me money". If that were so, we would have no medicines, because they all have side effects.

Old Today, 04:48 AM

5,262 posts, read 1,747,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes. It is our responsibility as a patient or caregiver to be informed about every drug we take. It is ultimately the patient's decision to take the drug or not, with a clear understanding of the risks and whether the benefit of that drug outweighs the risk for the individual.
Exactly.

It is ALWAYS the patient's/caregiver's decision.

No one else's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness