U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:46 AM

1,099 posts, read 680,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's not really fair.

Medications have side effects, and usually you won't get them.

When you do, you have other mitigating factors that allowed those side effects to present.

Most typically if you take a medication you won't experience rare side effects, and you have to balance the value of the med against the risk of the side effect.

My guess is, these parents of the 5 year old didn't think their daughter was in the high risk category for these horrific effects, and they proceeded with tamiflu to relieve her of the flu symptoms.

But in fact, she was, mysteriously, in the high risk category unbeknownst to them.
be responsible for your care or don't. reading material provided does not mean you don't take the medication. it means you are informed.

Old Today, 09:00 AM

10,243 posts, read 7,848,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
I read your italic "uncommon" as sarcasm, as in ... more common.

And I had not heard of it and neither had my friends ... so it's new to me. Probably because I think tamiflu is a waste of time I never paid attention to whenever this was apparently big news?
You aren't addressing the issue of responsibility of patients to read the readily available information on side effects.

Old Today, 09:30 AM

1,562 posts, read 747,573 times
newtovenice, just over a year ago the daughter of friends had a similar reaction. She was 15 and ended up in a psych ward for 2 weeks until it was determined she had an adverse reaction to Tamiflu.

Shortly after that, I read about the 6 y.o. in Texas who tried to jump out of a window. https://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...icle-1.3757787

Do you know if the parents asked the doctor if he reported their daughter's reaction? How many of these reactions go unreported? 65% of these doctors polled have never reported a suspected adverse drug reaction. Only 5% did it regularly. https://mediately.co/research/do-doc...-side-effects/

The first thing people should know about Tamiflu is that it only reduces flu symptoms by ONE day. Is it worth it? https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/new...for-influenza/

I searched the forum and found this http://www.city-data.com/forum/50877353-post1.html

Apparently Japan banned it in 2007 after 12 teens died.

Old Today, 09:34 AM

29,411 posts, read 18,639,853 times
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../#.XGBEUnbYo3E

Japan lifts more than decade-old ban on use of Tamiflu for 10- to 19-year-olds
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 09:38 AM

13,952 posts, read 7,889,563 times
Quote:
Um... did you miss the part where the doctor didn't tell them about the risks, but then said, oh, yeah, it's a side effect?

And yes, it was 100% caused by Tamiflu.
You don't know that. Correlation is not causation. Convenient timing doesn't mean something caused something else. And did the child receive the flu shot? If not, I have little sympathy. It's likely she didn't get the flu shot if they received all these negative comments like you say. My sister absolutely refuses to get the flu shot. She says, "Lots of people who get the flu shot still get the flu anyway." True, but people are 0% protected from it if they don't get vaccinated, and the flu can actually be fatal. Her entire family just down with the flu and she continues to cling to this ridiculous belief.

Old Today, 09:39 AM

5,262 posts, read 1,747,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You aren't addressing the issue of responsibility of patients to read the readily available information on side effects.
Absolutely, I'll make it 200% clear:

1. Parent should be aware of all side effects of every medication that is prescribed. Parents should understand that their doctor and pharmacist will never tell them all the risks for every drug.

2. Parents can then decide NOT to give it to their child for any reason of their choosing based on what they have learned. They can tell their doctor, no I will NOT be giving this immediately to my child. And the doctor will respond: Absolutely, you don't have to. I respect your decision.

3. No one should ever require that their child be forced to receive any medication that they decide is not right for their child. Since the responsibility is solely on the parent, not the doctor, pharmacist or drug manufacturer, parents should always have final say on what drug their child receives, and no person or agency should override it.

Agreed?

And in this case, since the child had the flu, no one should have question their decision IF they had passed on Tamiflu because they didn't want to expose the child to the risk. I can only imagine if the child were older and killed herself in the middle of the night while they were sleeping. My heart break for what the parents went through.

Leaving this discussion, as my intent was to pass on information that I had not heard before. Didn't realize this would turn into a parent slamming/blaming discussion. But that's what happened to them on F B, so I shouldn't be surprised that was the turn here.

Old Today, 09:41 AM

22,113 posts, read 27,001,461 times
Quote:
This above is what you said.

That every individual has the sole responsibility of self educating and then can make their own choice based on that self education.

Freedom of choice for deciding what medications to take. For all possible medications.
Yep. Even vaccines. Just keep in mind that if you use bad information to do your risk assessment you may make a bad decision about whether or not to take the medication.

Quote:
Patient: "Should I be worried about any side effects from this drug [which I have never heard of and have no information on right now during my 5 min visit with you]?"

Doctor: "No, the drug is safe. Not really anything to be worried about. But you really need to start taking it immediately for it to have any effect."

End conversation. Or does your doctor go to the PI and read every side effect to you for every drug you take, and explain all the risks/benefits and statistics during your 5 min visit?
Actually, no doctor would say that.

The real scenario:

Doctor: "The two most common side effects of Tamiflu are nausea and vomiting, which are usually not all that severe and occur within two days of starting treatment. Taking it with food can usually lessen the risk of these side effects. There are other side effects, but they are uncommon, and in my experience it is usually well tolerated.

Do you have any questions? No?

If you have any concerns or she is not better in a day or two please call the office."

I already pointed out that no doctor is going to discuss every rare side effect of every drug. Unless you cannot read why would you expect someone else to read the patient info to you?

Old Today, 10:27 AM

18,727 posts, read 17,877,531 times
Informative but will develop into a fight so this is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness