U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2019, 10:44 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,229,524 times

Advertisements

BFF since 3rd grade called last Oct. complaining of hemoptysis. His self-diagnosis: lung cancer. He took a fatalistic approach and did not seek medical intervention.

I was floored. He had never complained before of any physical impairment, took no meds, check-ups were always spot-on normal, long-lived ancestors... hell, he was playing schoolyard hoops with teenagers when he was 65.

Two days before Xmas, he died, age 74, lung cancer.

He never touched cigarettes but in middle age, took up cigars (no inhale). However, his dad smoked 2-3 packs a day. Yet he lived to 82 (CHF). Mom smoked a pack a day until her mid-70s, and lived to 93. Death not due to any cardio-respiratory impairment. And then there's me: heavy cigarette smoker for 20 yrs.

So he was around three chimneys as we polluted his lungs, in combination with his own 2nd-hand cigar smoke of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM

21,057 posts, read 7,090,013 times
We never know what's going to take us. I lost a friend in her early 90's who was still smoking and there is a lady I've known who is in late 80's and still puffing away. Son in law lost out at 55, with both nasty vices...we never know but I choose to keep cleaner.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:59 AM

2,313 posts, read 815,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We never know what's going to take us. I lost a friend in her early 90's who was still smoking and there is a lady I've known who is in late 80's and still puffing away. Son in law lost out at 55, with both nasty vices...we never know but I choose to keep cleaner.

Good point. There are multiple genetic factors that determine how a body will handle the insult of inhaling pollutants. Alpha-1-antitrypsin Disease is a well known genetic variant that results in sever lung problems at an early age, no other "cause" needed.

I once did a Fermi Solution to the problem of Second Hand Smoke. It seems that a non-smoker bar tender, for example, who worked in a bar catering to 20 heavy smokers at a time (essentially one pack per half hour) that was 20'x20'x1o'-ft for 8 hr shifts, 5 days a week, would inhale as much toxin over the course of 1000yrs (yes, one thousand) as the 1 ppd smoker does over 40 yrs-- and not nearly all of those smokers get lung ca (maybe cuz 1/2 of 'em die of heart attacks before they're old enough to get lung ca?)

Ten percent of lung & throat cancer occurs in non-smokers with no history of significant exposure to 2nd hand smoke. "Only" 15% of smokers wind up with lung ca-- add in throat, bladder and various other cancers and the portion developing ca goes higher-- and I'm not kidding about dying of MI too early to see ca.

Calvert- no need to feel guilty, just sympathetic.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:22 PM

15,845 posts, read 15,841,160 times
I am probably screwed, the amount of filthy cigarette-smoke that I have inhaled in my lifetime, GACK.

Lived mainly around lower-class people, the smoking-rate amount them is probably at least 4-times the national average.

I lived in downtown San Diego for years in a rooming-house......LOL, I believe I might have been one of the very few non-smokers in the whole place. The whole place smelled like a rotting ashtray..

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

5,152 posts, read 7,396,106 times
A lot of times, lung cancer is the secondary location for cancer.

I’m sorry for your loss.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
A lot of times, lung cancer is the secondary location for cancer.

I’m sorry for your loss.

I hear you. The friend in question had a colonoscopy at age 50 which was clean and never bothered to have a repeat test.

Thing is though, there's no familial evidence of cancer, going back several generations.

So hard to accept that he checked out already.

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

1,268 posts, read 376,361 times
OP, what kind of cancer? If it was “Oat Cell” or small cell carcinoma, the chances are extremely high it was smoking related. Any other type of lung cancer, it could be a variety of other things as well.

Old Today, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
OP, what kind of cancer? If it was “Oat Cell” or small cell carcinoma, the chances are extremely high it was smoking related. Any other type of lung cancer, it could be a variety of other things as well.

Death Cert. does not specify and I don't have access to the autopsy rpt.

Old Today, 11:46 AM

11,650 posts, read 16,342,944 times
Second-hand smoke can cause all kinds of issues. My only risk factor for developing my stage IV cancer at 23 was exposure to second-hand smoke as a kid. My parents (who both quit before I was in middle school) bore none of the health brunt of their addiction.

Lung cancer is also not always caused by smoke. I just lost a beloved coworker after a 3 year battle with lung cancer. She never smoked, her family didn't smoke, and she was healthy as a horse until it happened - running marathons into her late 60s, a vegetarian, and taking supplements in an effort to stay healthy. Something about her genetics led to lung cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness