Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 09:27 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times

Advertisements

This thread is discouraging if so many in this (allegedly) wealthiest of all nations are living in physical pain. What the heck is wrong with our "leaders"? More worried with non-Americans than their own citizens?

Anyways...I want to talk SHOES.

Strangely, I will find a pair of shoes that will make my back feel like I'm in heaven...for a little while. Then the pain comes back.

For example, I started wearing this pair of Nikes and the pain almost entirely went away...but then it came back again when wearing those same shoes. Same thing happened with some other shoes I wore and insoles I put in them. Pain went away for a week or two ....but then it came back and those shoes no longer alleviate the pain in my lower back.

Anyone here had a similar story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 09:32 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
This thread is discouraging if so many in this (allegedly) wealthiest of all nations are living in physical pain. What the heck is wrong with our "leaders"? More worried with non-Americans than their own citizens?
Unfortunately, pain can be a part of life as you age and move from the performance phase of your life into the maintenance phase. It often goes away on its own, and I don't think there's any big conspiracy with our leaders, doctors or health care establishment to willingly make people suffer.

In any event, you are putting the cart before the horse here. You don't even have a diagnosis. See the doctor as planned, and if your physical exam warrants it, he/she will order imaging to see what's going on.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:37 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
U

In any event, you are putting the cart before the horse here. You don't even have a diagnosis. See the doctor as planned, and if your physical exam warrants it, he/she will order imaging to see what's going on.
Yes, I agree.

I noticed this lower back pain about 10 years ago (I think) when putting (I used to be an avid golfer).

So when I would ever so slightly arch my back forward to putt on the golf greens, there would be this noticeable pain in my lower back.

Off and on over the years I believe but I do a more physical job now and it's become very problematic for me.

Old 02-14-2019, 09:56 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
I had 4 herniated disks, L2 through S1. (I had surgery about a year ago.) The best way to describe the type of pain I had is to think back to a visit to the dentist when he was probing a cavity and he hit a nerve. That’s the worst kind of pain I would get in my back. It wasn’t a stinging, burning or aching, although I had those at other times. The latter were a bit more tolerable; the nerve pain when I would get it was pretty much incapacitating. It was a sense of tremendous pressure directly on the nerve. The pain would often radiate into my left hip, through it and into my groin, sometimes even causing my tesitlces to ache. Other times I would have sciatica pain. You have my sympathy. Back pain can impact almost everything you do.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
My husband had this. On and off for years. He would say his “back went out”. And a couple days later he was fine. One day it just got really bad. And didn’t go away.

Very quickly, within one week, he had xrays, an mri, and surgery by a neurosurgeon. He saw the neuro on a Wednesday and Friday he had surgery. Between Wednesday and Friday I was given strict instructions that if it got any worse to take him to the ER and they’d operate on an emergent basis.

His was so bad that he was having severe difficulty urinating....
When the damage gets to the point where it interferes with urinating and bowel movements it is an extremely bad sign. Your husband's problem was severe difficulty urinating, but it can also produce the opposite, inability to control urination and defecation.

Either way, very high level warning sign.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:09 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
When the damage gets to the point where it interferes with urinating and bowel movements it is an extremely bad sign. Your husband's problem was severe difficulty urinating, but it can also produce the opposite, inability to control urination and defecation.

Either way, very high level warning sign.
Yep, I had the same warning for low back spinal damage. Doc told me that if I ever had loss of bladder or bowel function to call 911 first and then contact him. Fortunately, I never got there.

Old 02-14-2019, 10:54 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
The pain would often radiate into my left hip, through it and into my groin, sometimes even causing my tesitlces to ache. Other times I would have sciatica pain. You have my sympathy. Back pain can impact almost everything you do.
My husband told me to familiarize myself with dermatomes. It's given me a better understanding of what nerves are affected, where and how the pain radiates etc.

https://www.emedicinehealth.com/derm...ed_on_the_body

https://www.verywellhealth.com/under...matomes-296659

https://www.google.com/search?q=derm...s-wqkmaS9_VIM:

Old 02-14-2019, 11:12 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
I had a blown out L5 from a bike accident and it eventually felt like being stabbed in the butt with a glowing red hot ice pick that lasted 5 or so seconds. Surgery fixed it. It wasn't all the time just everytime I got up from bed or out of a chair.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:25 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
For those of you who have had a herniated disc, what did it feel like before you had a dr. confirm it was in fact a herniated disc?

My low back has been excruciating on and off for years now but it seems to be more like every day - sharp lower back pain at most times of the day for me. I'm trying to confirm whether it is a herniated disc.

Yes, I am going to have a physician check it out but I'm curious how it felt for those of you who had one.
I had 3 herniated discs removed from my neck in 2005, the pain in my neck, arm and back were terrible, when you get these, the pain can spread out, and can be hard to determine where it originates.

The majority of my pain was in my right shoulder and upper right arm area, the area where the herniated discs actually were, didnt hurt that bad.

Another way you can tell is when nerves are compressed or 'kinked', you will get tingly sensations in your arm, hand and fingers, like they are 'falling asleep' all the time, eventually you will loose feeling, I had the surgery done to remove, but to this day, I have no feeling in the tip of my pointer finger on right hand, the doctor said if I had put the surgery off any longer, the feeling loss would have spread to my whole hand, arm eventually and ultimately it would have paralyzed me had I left it untreated!

Old 02-14-2019, 02:30 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,258,290 times
Quote:
For those of you who have had a herniated disc, what did it feel like before you had a dr. confirm it was in fact a herniated disc?

My low back has been excruciating on and off for years now but it seems to be more like every day - sharp lower back pain at most times of the day for me. I'm trying to confirm whether it is a herniated disc.

Yes, I am going to have a physician check it out but I'm curious how it felt for those of you who had one.
I’ve got two of them in my lower back. They cause my back to be weak and very stiff after sitting awhile. The worst thing though is the severe pain down the back of my right leg. On top of that the top of my right leg feels slightly numb, with what feels like needles sticking me, if that makes sense.

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen all kinds of doctors and a couple of chiropractors. I’ve “endured” three separate Epidural procedures, tests I cannot remember the names of, a few MRI’s, and fifteen months of therapy spread out over several years. I live in pain every day and believe this is how it will be until I die.

Supposedly medical technology has improved in the past decades regarding back treatment, but I know too many people who have been made far worse after choosing surgery. Believe me, if I could be assured a surgical procedure could alleviate this pain I’d be all over it. This is not a great quality of life after all. Unfortunately, there are no guarantees when it comes to back surgery,so I grit my teeth every day and tough it out. I wish you much success OP in finding a solution to your back pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness