Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 AM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times

Advertisements

I have been walking at least an hour a day for most of my life, and I think the best shoes for walking are certain kinds of flip flops. For example, I think the cheap ones you can buy at Old Navy are very good.

Recently, someone told me flip flops are the worst thing for your feet, because they have no arch supports. I have also read that somewhere, and I think it is a myth.

If you walk a lot, and your posture is ok, then your feet muscles will be strong. There won't be any need for shoes that support the arches.

Flip flops are good because they don't squeeze the toes, and it feels almost the same as walking barefoot. Barefoot would be ideal, except we need protection from heat and cold, broken glass, etc.

In cold weather, you can wear thermal socks with flip flops. It is not hard to squeeze the socks between the big toe and the other toes.

However, in cold wet weather, or if there is deep snow on the ground, you need waterproof shoes of some kind. Aside from that, flip flops are the best, in my many years of walking experience.

Some flip flops are no good for walking. They have to be flexible, with no sharp edges to cause blisters. That's why the cheapest are often the best.

But I also got shoes at a discount store that are very soft, like socks with rubber soles, and those are good too.

I do not own any expensive sneakers or walking shoes. I hate most shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2018, 11:47 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
As you age, your foot arch drops and you end up with flat feet. You don't notice it until your feet start hurting when you are older...it aches and can be quite painful.

So foot dr told me they are the worst...no support of any kind. There are a few flip flop companies that make them with a firm arch but still, they just can't beat closed shoes with a firm sole, solid arch support.

I still have ff, of course.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:57 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I don't wear flip flops and don't think I ever did.

My daughter swears by Fit Flops as they have good arches in them and are helping her foot arch issues.

A friend also says she does best with Clark flip flops.

I have good arches but arthritis has set in my feet so I wear orthotics and a lift in right shoe which is my problem side of body, right side.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:17 PM

Arches won't fall if your feet get enough exercise. Wearing shoes probably causes weak arches. I can't say that for certain, just a hypothesis. We evolved to walk barefoot, so I think that is the most natural and the best. However, as I said, our feet need protection from the bad weather and broken glass, etc.

Strong feet also depends on the alignment of the spine and hips and knees. All has to be more or less correct, or the feet will not hit the ground correctly.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:29 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
I'll go with what my podiatrist said...

Old 10-07-2018, 12:30 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I have been walking at least an hour a day for most of my life, and I think the best shoes for walking are certain kinds of flip flops. For example, I think the cheap ones you can buy at Old Navy are very good.

Recently, someone told me flip flops are the worst thing for your feet, because they have no arch supports. I have also read that somewhere, and I think it is a myth.

If you walk a lot, and your posture is ok, then your feet muscles will be strong. There won't be any need for shoes that support the arches.

Flip flops are good because they don't squeeze the toes, and it feels almost the same as walking barefoot. Barefoot would be ideal, except we need protection from heat and cold, broken glass, etc.

In cold weather, you can wear thermal socks with flip flops. It is not hard to squeeze the socks between the big toe and the other toes.

However, in cold wet weather, or if there is deep snow on the ground, you need waterproof shoes of some kind. Aside from that, flip flops are the best, in my many years of walking experience.

Some flip flops are no good for walking. They have to be flexible, with no sharp edges to cause blisters. That's why the cheapest are often the best.

But I also got shoes at a discount store that are very soft, like socks with rubber soles, and those are good too.

I do not own any expensive sneakers or walking shoes. I hate most shoes.
You are welcome to your opinion, but flip flops would not work for me. I hate the thong between the toes and if you walk at any speed your foot slides from side to side, increasing the risk of tripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz37HCFuJpM

Old 10-07-2018, 12:37 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
So you're likely a proponent of the "negative heel" for when you absolutely must wear shoes - you know, for church and weddings, and such. The theory was that in primitive societies where people don't wear shoes the heel sinks deeper into the ground than the rest of the foot causing a "negative heel" height. This was big in the '70s. They still sell their shoes, but most aren't a negative heel - seems like a ripoff for them to even sell:

Women's Comfort Shoes | Earth Brands Shoes

Personally, I've never had an arch...never had aching feet or any foot issues despite walking a lot both in various jobs and on my own.

But, there are more problems with flip flops than purely arch support, and that is that they have little support of any kind. Kids love them because they have a lot more fat on the soles of their feet. As you get older, the fat layer decreases and you start to notice if you wear flimsy soles such that you can feel rocks and unevenness to a much greater degree than when younger.

My mom was a stickler for "good shoes" with support - she would never abide by the $5 flip flops you can get now. And we were never allowed to go barefoot outside the house because of rusty nails, but whatever.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are welcome to your opinion, but flip flops would not work for me. I hate the thong between the toes and if you walk at any speed your foot slides from side to side, increasing the risk of tripping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz37HCFuJpM
I can understand why they would not work for everyone. It took me a lot of trial and error, over the years, to figure out they work for me. I also tried a lot of flip flops that caused blisters. And you can't tell by trying on in the store, because you have to walk about 2 miles before you know.

I definitely recommend Old Navy flip flops -- they have different colors, about $4 a pair and less if on sale. So if you try them and they don't work for you, it's only a $4 dollar loss.

The only problem is they are cheap and won't last forever.

And, of course, you must have a big space between the big toe and the others, which I have. That is just something you are born with or not. That's why I can even squeeze into flip flops with normal socks.

But the arch support thing is a myth, I think, started by shoe companies. Strengthen your feet by walking, don't rely on artificial supports.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:41 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
The Orthopedic Foot and Ankle surgeon who lives in this house does not allow our kids to wear flip flops or Crocs. The only exception is when they go to camps that require shower shoes, in which case we usually send them with slides or begrudgingly the classic crocs, which quickly disappear once the kids are back home again.

He's got enough stories and pictures from degloving and other acute injuries he's seen from people wearing flip flops or going barefoot that it's convinced me to not wear them. I had never been a fan anyway because I've always had very little space between my toes and never liked the feeling of anything in between them.

Old 10-07-2018, 12:44 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I practically live in flip flops in the summer. I buy Reef, most of them have arch supports. Also Fit Flops are a great brand for support, I have 5 pairs of those. I am a bit addicted to them. I can walk for miles in those and they are a bit dressier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness