U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:53 PM

10 posts, read 2,787 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to find an excellent hand surgeon in Missouri.

I have gone to a surgeon in Columbia, MO and he gave me two steroid injections that I later learned only give you very temporary relief and actually do harm to your joint. His only other recommendation was to freeze the joint so it would be unmovable. I'm have good mobility of the joint so I'm not willing to give that up.

I have had several prolotherapy sessions and they did help quite a bit with the pain but the joint subluxation is still present.

Does anyone have any experience with a hand surgeon in Missouri?

Thank you for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:04 PM

21,272 posts, read 7,172,386 times
OP: I've had this issue with a couple fingers and for the last year or more no issues. I believe we may be talking about the same thing on the subluxation. Surgery of any kind is the VERY LAST RESORT in my books. Our body can do a lot of healing and I've had Prolo in shoulder 10 yrs ago and would like to do more. So many are so quick to "cut" for relief and often we get more trouble.
Just my thoughts. This issue is probably a problem due to arthritic joints and I take extra Vit C and other antioxidants to help the joints.

Old Today, 01:27 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,044,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryclaire View Post

Does anyone have any experience with a hand surgeon in Missouri?
I am familiar with both the University of Missouri Orthopedic Institute and Columbia Orthopedic Group (COG) and many of those surgeons. For a city of its size, Columbia has a high density of extremely well trained Orthopedic surgeons. Plastics at the University also does Hand. In my opinion, you need not go elsewhere.

But, if you absolutely insist on going elsewhere, my recommendation would be to go to St. Louis and see a Hand Surgeon at Wash U or perhaps SLU.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; Today at 01:35 PM..

Old Today, 02:20 PM

10 posts, read 2,787 times
Thank you to both of you! I really appreciate your insight...It just would be really nice to hear from someone who had the same problem and repaired it...mine was caused by a sports injury long ago and then was agravated by my rehab activities...thanks again!

Old Today, 03:27 PM

3,835 posts, read 3,044,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryclaire View Post
Thank you to both of you! I really appreciate your insight...It just would be really nice to hear from someone who had the same problem and repaired it...mine was caused by a sports injury long ago and then was agravated by my rehab activities...thanks again!
Sorry. I must have I misunderstood what you were asking for. Hopefully, others who've had this experience will chime in.

Old Today, 08:12 PM

4,857 posts, read 10,755,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I am familiar with both the University of Missouri Orthopedic Institute and Columbia Orthopedic Group (COG) and many of those surgeons. For a city of its size, Columbia has a high density of extremely well trained Orthopedic surgeons. Plastics at the University also does Hand. In my opinion, you need not go elsewhere.

But, if you absolutely insist on going elsewhere, my recommendation would be to go to St. Louis and see a Hand Surgeon at Wash U or perhaps SLU.
^ These are all excellent recommendations from Texas Ag

If you want to go outside of Columbia, Wash U has one of the best Hand Departments in the country and Richard Gelberman, MD is one of the best hand surgeons in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or