U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 06:22 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,249,248 times

Advertisements

Dr prescribed metoprolol 25mg,20mg lisinopril and water pill 25mg.(Hydroch-----).Had to get a refill today and bottle was thrown away.
The water pill gave me severe muscle cramps,researched it on Google and someone mentioned one teaspoon mustard,it worked for me within 30 minutes,still o'k 4 hrs later.They say it is the Tumeric in mustard.
The doctor said on 3/20 I would be able to stop taking it,it removes salt from urine.
My blood pressure now 115/50-60-128/50-60.
Thought I would pass it along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 08:02 PM

1,790 posts, read 869,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Dr prescribed metoprolol 25mg,20mg lisinopril and water pill 25mg.(Hydroch-----)
Hydrocholorothiazide? I've been taking it for 35 years or so with no problems. Did you have a question about it?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:35 PM

8,713 posts, read 5,877,194 times
Quote:
Dr prescribed metoprolol 25mg,20mg lisinopril and water pill 25mg.(Hydroch-----).Had to get a refill today and bottle was thrown away.
The water pill gave me severe muscle cramps,researched it on Google and someone mentioned one teaspoon mustard,it worked for me within 30 minutes,still o'k 4 hrs later.They say it is the Tumeric in mustard.
The doctor said on 3/20 I would be able to stop taking it,it removes salt from urine.
My blood pressure now 115/50-60-128/50-60.
Thought I would pass it along.
Is there a question here?

You can take potassium for the cramps

Old 03-01-2019, 05:50 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,249,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Hydrocholorothiazide? I've been taking it for 35 years or so with no problems. Did you have a question about it?
With me I urinate every 2 or so hours 24/7 which is almost intolerable.I believe my cramp problem is related to potassium,so am eating one meal high in potassium,salmon,white beans,sweet potato or spinach to see if that helps.Do you take a potassium supplement?
The diuretic depletes potassium and magnesium.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:00 AM

2,528 posts, read 877,082 times
Hctz makes you lose K; metoprolol & lisinopril make you save K;-- it usually works out just about right , but not always....Don't take K on your own- you need a blood test and doc's prescription so you get it right. Too much K is as bad (or worse) as too little.

Lisinopril dilates arterioles, effectively giving you "less blood per pint of blood vessel." Your kidneys sense this and try to save extra Na to fill them back up again, so most pts need a diuretic to go along with the lisinopril or they'll get edema (swelling of the feet).

Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 AM

36,205 posts, read 44,362,621 times
Maybe your doctor can switch you to a different medicine? I’ve been taking a blood pressure/diuretic combo (Tenoretic) for 20 years. No issues whatsoever, and no extra potassium required.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 AM

20,578 posts, read 13,498,782 times
Quote:
Yep. I take 25 mg every day.

If you get muscle cramps, drink more water during the day. I am guessing you donít drink that much normally?

When you take your meds, just drink a full glass of water.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 AM

1,790 posts, read 869,631 times
Quote:
With me I urinate every 2 or so hours 24/7 which is almost intolerable.I believe my cramp problem is related to potassium,so am eating one meal high in potassium,salmon,white beans,sweet potato or spinach to see if that helps.Do you take a potassium supplement?
No, I've never taken a potassium supplement with it, and my labs are fine. I do eat a lot of spinach every day.

Years ago, I did get foot cramps, but that went away when I realized I wasn't drinking enough water. (Taking HCTZ or not, I wasn't drinking enough water.)

As for urinating every 2 hours...maybe you can cut your dose down a bit to make that more manageable. Mine is every 4-5 hours.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:04 PM

3,428 posts, read 1,434,368 times
Quote:
No, I've never taken a potassium supplement with it, and my labs are fine. I do eat a lot of spinach every day.

Years ago, I did get foot cramps, but that went away when I realized I wasn't drinking enough water. (Taking HCTZ or not, I wasn't drinking enough water.)

As for urinating every 2 hours...maybe you can cut your dose down a bit to make that more manageable. Mine is every 4-5 hours.
Once every two to three hours is pretty much the norm for me (I am a relatively small person and try to drink a lot of fluids) even when I am not on a diuretic. If I drink coffee in the morning, I usually go to the bathroom every hour. The OP may just need to accept going every two hours is the norm right now. It sounds short term, so it wonít be forever.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:10 PM

21,551 posts, read 7,307,377 times
Quote:
If you have a copy of your last labs and hopefully doctor did potassium levels, see where your potassium came in high, med, low end of range. Often a 99mg of potassium helps and many do work with that. Also a friend with chronic fatigue takes more to help her get out of the horrid fatigue. I eat avocados and sweet potato but one can only eat so much. Not everyone functions best or good at the set of numbers we're tested with. This issue of potassium brings me back to a friend who is now gone but she would pass out enough to go to the ER and each time she was low in sodium and potassium and had to have IV's .. She took BP meds and I don't know which ones but she probably didn't eat enough potassium rich foods and was paranoid about sodium. We are aging for sure, but to support ourselves as best we can in the process is important.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-02-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or