U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 04:49 PM

905 posts, read 494,933 times

Advertisements

I said in another thread that I have been overweight and losing and gaining for 50 years now. I have lost 32 pounds in the last 2 years by walking 2 to 4 miles about 5 times a week and eating 1200 calories a day. I am hungry most days, right now I'm starving.

I don't know what will happen to me when I've lost the last 10 pounds and start to eat more. Probably gain it all back and then some. I do have the "fat gene" and wish I didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 05:38 PM

7,042 posts, read 7,942,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Food has never been so inexpensive and easy to get as it is now-- and the "experts" are all telling us to eat the wrong stuff (grains/carbs).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not necessarily. Whole grains have nutrients and fiber. Fiber is the best thing you can eat. Now baked goods are not good for anyone unless its a sprouted wheat bread that is minimally processed. Grains like bulgar, faro, quinoa, oats, black and wild rice provide lots of nutrients and fiber.
While it is true that there are some nutrients in grains, people who tend to put on weight should avoid them. Why? Because insulin has to be produced in the pancreas to process carbohydrate foods. And you can't gain weight unless you produce insulin. So if you have a tendency to pack on the pounds, you should avoid foods that cause your system to produce insulin.

A low carb diet works wonders for those who can't keep weight off. And it works without starvation, plus it's delicious. Fats cause the body to produce virtually zero insulin, and proteins cause a very low insulin response. So it's almost impossible to be heavy if you consume meat, fish, butter, eggs, and dairy. Plus, you'll have a very nutrient rich diet.

Check out the keto, paleo, high protein, or Atkins diets. They all work, without starvation or exercise. According to Dr. Jason Fung, these diets can also prevent or reverse Diabetes, if you have higher blood sugar issues. You owe it to yourself to do the new research.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:20 PM

9,621 posts, read 2,338,820 times
I took the 23andMe DNA test, which showed high risk of obesity, heart disease and diabetes. I'm slim and fit and so are my siblings. Our parents had heart disease and mother was fat. Biology isn't destiny. Self control is key.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 PM

10,671 posts, read 5,792,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I hope this doesn't give people the impression that they can just eat anything they want. It's not all genetics and if you do have some genetic tendency to gain weight, you have to be aware and stay on top of it.

We never had so many fat people back in the 50s and 60s. Maybe they were eating real food, not fast food. Soda was a treat, not for every day. Few processed foods, it was mostly real food.

Believe what you want, but healthy eating is still healthy eating and that doesn't change.
Great point. The whole genetics argument is really being taken to the extreme and is, I submit, being used as an excuse for people to overeat. Note, even if genetics mean you don't lose weight/burn fat like most people do, there are still things you can do to limit how much you gain. Ultimately, weight gain still comes down to consuming more calories than you burn. If your body doesn't work like other bodies do for whatever reason, you have to adjust.

For most overweight people I know, however, the issue is pure overeating. Nothing genetics-related to blame.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:24 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,606,744 times
If you watch movies back in the 70s, people were naturally thin. Very thin waistline too.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 03-04-2019 at 12:10 AM..

Old 03-04-2019, 06:53 AM

888 posts, read 178,235 times
Quote:
(Blame your parents, not your will-power.)
Nope. People need to take personal responsibility for their actions, and in this case, their actions are consuming too many calories for their level of caloric expenditure.

That's it.

Everything else that contributes to the condition is an excuse, and relieves the individual of responsibility.

We cannot choose our parents, but we can choose how much and what type of food we put in our mouths and how much we exercise.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:56 AM

888 posts, read 178,235 times
Quote:
Food has never been so inexpensive and easy to get as it is now-- and the "experts" are all telling us to eat the wrong stuff (grains/carbs).
Yes. I see far too many people focus on the 4 Basic Food Groups: Coffee, Donuts, Pizza and Potato Chips.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:48 AM

7,767 posts, read 5,730,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I hope this doesn't give people the impression that they can just eat anything they want. It's not all genetics and if you do have some genetic tendency to gain weight, you have to be aware and stay on top of it.

We never had so many fat people back in the 50s and 60s. Maybe they were eating real food, not fast food. Soda was a treat, not for every day. Few processed foods, it was mostly real food.

Believe what you want, but healthy eating is still healthy eating and that doesn't change.
Soda's and Fast Food were smaller. A Big Mac was a big burger. Now its an "also ran" in the competition for fast-food unhealthy eating.

I also think that people were more active without thinking about it. More jobs, even less physical jobs, had more movement. People walked a bit more to and from work, were more active around the house, etc...

Old 03-04-2019, 08:56 AM

5,132 posts, read 6,195,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
While it is true that there are some nutrients in grains, people who tend to put on weight should avoid them. Why? Because insulin has to be produced in the pancreas to process carbohydrate foods. And you can't gain weight unless you produce insulin. So if you have a tendency to pack on the pounds, you should avoid foods that cause your system to produce insulin.

A low carb diet works wonders for those who can't keep weight off. And it works without starvation, plus it's delicious. Fats cause the body to produce virtually zero insulin, and proteins cause a very low insulin response. So it's almost impossible to be heavy if you consume meat, fish, butter, eggs, and dairy. Plus, you'll have a very nutrient rich diet.

Check out the keto, paleo, high protein, or Atkins diets. They all work, without starvation or exercise. According to Dr. Jason Fung, these diets can also prevent or reverse Diabetes, if you have higher blood sugar issues. You owe it to yourself to do the new research.
I eat a diet full of fiber and eat whole grains. I have lost weight and kept it off.
Low carb works for some but not others. And different grains effect insulin differently. Low carb diets for some are just not tenable.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:59 AM

5,132 posts, read 6,195,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
If you watch movies back in the 70s, people were naturally thin. Very thin waistline too.
Back when fast food was hardly a thing and sodas came in small bottles and people moved their bodies more we were thinner. Being overweight or obese was the exception, not the rule. Now a 1/3 of our population is obese. We cannot blame that on genetics. We can blame it on a terrible diet and a sedentary lifestyle. We can also blame it on obese parents feeding their kids the same foods they eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or