U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:13 AM

5,363 posts, read 4,550,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As Dr. Laura has often said. "There are no fat people in concentration camps".
And no one should have to live their life like they are in a concentration camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 09:14 AM

5,363 posts, read 4,550,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I have lived the life. I have a predisposition to be fat. I have dieted since I was 3 to prevent diabetes from being overweight. Should I have to justify my post to you? Are you supposed to be somebody with that "did you even read the article" taunt?

Sorry, you and your response to my post will never out-class my life experience. Nice try though.
So the answer is no you didn't, I guess.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 AM

3,703 posts, read 1,085,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Read the article-- genetics are the sine qua non of obesity....The benefits of fiber have been thoroughly debunked.....Grains are good for thiamine and not much else. Check your little nutritional content booklet-- the extra nutrients in whole grain compared to white flour is really quite minimal.

The article points out the research that shows the overweight people don't eat any differently than the normal weight folks. I've given the example of the "easy keepers" at the stable-- horses that maintain good body weight on half the feed of normal horses-- it's all in the genes.

We're bigger now than 50 yrs ago-- heavier, but taller too. It's not that we eat too much now, it's that there was more under-fed people a couple generations ago...Don't forget we live longer now-- life expectancy was only 62 yrs in 1936. How bad can the "Obesity Epidemic" be?

The obesity epidemic is very bad, a major cause of disease and suffering.

Life expectancy was lower in 1936 mainly because they didn't have antibiotics, so more young children died.

It is SO misleading to say we are healthier now, just because childhood deaths have decreased. That is such a dangerous deception. It makes people think they can live on artificial food and never exercise.

Cancer, heart disease, dementia, diabetes 2, all have increased because of how we live. They did NOT increase because we are healthier and living longer. I wish people would stop repeating that myth. It's just advertising for the drug companies -- don't take any responsibility, drugs will keep you healthy, all diseases are from genetics or age.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM

888 posts, read 178,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
And no one should have to live their life like they are in a concentration camp.
And no one does.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM

10,524 posts, read 9,807,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
While it is true that there are some nutrients in grains, people who tend to put on weight should avoid them. Why? Because insulin has to be produced in the pancreas to process carbohydrate foods. And you can't gain weight unless you produce insulin. So if you have a tendency to pack on the pounds, you should avoid foods that cause your system to produce insulin.

A low carb diet works wonders for those who can't keep weight off. And it works without starvation, plus it's delicious. Fats cause the body to produce virtually zero insulin, and proteins cause a very low insulin response. So it's almost impossible to be heavy if you consume meat, fish, butter, eggs, and dairy. Plus, you'll have a very nutrient rich diet.

Check out the keto, paleo, high protein, or Atkins diets. They all work, without starvation or exercise. According to Dr. Jason Fung, these diets can also prevent or reverse Diabetes, if you have higher blood sugar issues. You owe it to yourself to do the new research.
I don't find any of those diets "delicious" and that's not true. You can easily be heavy and consume meat, eggs, etc. It's called overconsumption of calories and it wouldn't be nutrient rich. Case in point, when I was sick all I ate was white rice, bread, stuff like that. I lost seven pounds in two days because I ate only 1100 calories. No real mystery there.

I eat white rice, grains, fruit and I have no insulin issues. I don't have a weight problem. And my numbers are great too. For the conditions I do have, a low carb diet wouldn't do diddly. What I owed to myself was getting off my butt, exercising and eating less. Carbs aren't the devil, as with anything, you eat them in moderation.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 5,606,744 times
One of my kids lost 40lbs on smaller plates diet. She ate carbs. She was not fat nor obese. At one point she was as thin as Kate Middleton. Not as tall though. But when she did try to diet in her senior year in high school, she was miserable and lost nothing.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 AM

29,924 posts, read 18,939,105 times
For me it was a medication, which of course I didn't know until I stopped taking it.

I was exercising all the time, tracking my calories.... and would gain weight looking at celery. Stopped meds..... dropped weight. It was magic.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-08-2019, 08:04 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,290,863 times
Where did those genes come from? Nobody had them in the 40s.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 PM

29,924 posts, read 18,939,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Where did those genes come from? Nobody had them in the 40s.
If you are saying there were no obese people in the 40s, that is untrue.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-09-2019, 12:29 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,290,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you are saying there were no obese people in the 40s, that is untrue.
No, I'm saying they were very few in number, maybe one child per classroom of 30 (I was there), or one adult in a dozen or more, and those would often be a beer-belly. And even then, some obesity must have been attributable to lifestyle. Certainly not enough to account for more than a small fraction of the gene poos just two or three generations later.

It is certainly true that a high proportion of today's obese had zero obese people among their eight great grandparents. No such genes present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or