U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 05:37 AM

1,608 posts, read 767,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Where did those genes come from? Nobody had them in the 40s.

Yeah, diets weren't made up of modern factory foods in the 40s either. That is what is not compatible with human genes. Very few overate back then. Many are overeating now, and it's mostly junk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 08:34 AM

5,363 posts, read 4,550,229 times
I also think that the food additives, such as growth hormones in the chicken and beef, have a lot to do with messing up our body's processing of the foods we eat. I mean if they are feeding chickens and cows hormones to fatten them up, and then we eat those animals with heightened levels of hormones, it makes sense that we would get "fattened up" also. Our parents and grandparents didn't eat all these different additives like BPA and the various preservatives and flavor/ texture enhancers. Packaged foods are also loaded with salt and sugar to the point that it has to impact us too.

You can say that it's all what you eat, but when two people eat the same diet and the one who eats less gains, and the one who eats more loses, even with similar activity levels, obviously "a calorie is a calorie" isn't true. We are all individuals and we all process our food somewhat differently. I eat less than 1200 calories a day and gain. Hubby eats 2500-4000 calories a day and can barely maintain a normal weight (150 lbs at 5'10"). His friends used to call him "tapeworm".

Old 03-10-2019, 08:22 AM

5,045 posts, read 4,944,857 times
Both of my parents are obese and I am relatively thin---but I also don't eat like them and move a lot more. I have also been heavier than I am right now because of how I was eating at one point, so obviously it would be very easy for me to fall back into that.

I have noticed a lot of people who are thin/normal have pretty good eating habits. Most of them are not eating 3K+ calories per day. Those that do eat a lot are moving a lot, whether it be walking, working out or manual labor. One of my friends used to say, "Joe can eat whatever he wants! He stays thin!" But Joe also went to the gym five days per week and really worked out. Obviously, there are ALWAYS exceptions and anecdotes, but for the most part, people are very similar. To just throw obesity onto genetics takes away from the fact that obesity is getting out of control, to a point it never was before.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:34 PM

20,593 posts, read 13,511,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
But on the whole we were much less fat than people of today. I grew up in the fifties too. In our school classroom there would usually be ONE fat kid. And that fat kid would probably have been that way due to some genetic defect. And I do remember one example of exactly that--his mother was slender and she was taking the boy to doctors to find out what was wrong with him. She said he didn't eat any more than anyone else. So out of a class of 30, ONE kid.

Our diets in the fifties weren't perfect but our mothers usually tried to give us a couple of vegetables, a starch and a meat. That was what they were advised to do. For dessert we had canned fruit--not perfect by any means, but around here you couldn't get fresh fruit for half the year. In previous generations, canned foods accounted for a large part of the diet in winter because there was no refrigeration. But look at pictures of people from 1900 or so--they are not fat, and maybe were strong and healthy looking.

We seldom drank soda. It came in small glass bottles and you might have one soda at a birthday party or a day at the beach. You didn't buy it very often like people do today. Ice cream was another rare treat. You might go out for a ride on a hot summer's day and your dad would buy everyone an ice cream cone. That was the extent of the ice cream.

Probably some people did eat huge, hearty meals, but those people worked it off by farm work. Look at old photos back as far a photos go. Look at paintings. The fattest one I can think of is King Henry VIII--a glutton, and since he was a king, he didn't work and get exercise.

There is an epidemic of obesity today and we still have the same genetics we have always had. It's not so much about the genes--genes are something to take into account--but it's more about paying attention to healthy eating and exercising.
I am sure that there are more overweight people than there used to be. But, I do quarrel with the idea that fat people were rare in mid-century USA.

In terms of old paintings, there are quite a few that depict very fleshy, nude young women. Take a look at the works of Renoir, for example. Many older paintings depict very fleshy young women, often only partially clothed.

I am coming round to the idea that there are likely environmental factors that influence.our collective weight gains. And, I have been a proponent of healthy eating for all of my adult life.

For those of us who are genetically disposed to be heavy, healthy eating habits are not enough to keep the weight off. We must be continually vigilant, monitoring every bite we take, eating less than we really want, resisting the efforts of home cooks pushing desserts on us, and constantly making hard choices. Keeping the weight off is a wearisome lifetime task that gets harder every year as we age.

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

386 posts, read 240,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Even if there is a genetic pre-disposition to be overweight, it doesn't mean that a person HAS to be overweight.

We all have free-will. Someone may claim that former fat people in their family are the reason they are also fat as an excuse for not watching what they eat, eating excessive amounts of food and/or not exercising, but that's all it is - an excuse.
NO!!!!! A reality!!! I come from obesity. They had to get a special scale to weigh my very fat uncle because the scale didn't go high enough. My grandmother, and mother were both obese. I AM NOT.

BUT LET ME TELL YOU. It is a constant struggle. Every day I have to plan, watch everything that goes in my mouth. I hate to exercise. I know I must and I do.

Its like having diabetes or alcoholism in families. Or any other genetic imperfection. Some people can overcome them. Some people can not. But to call it "an excuse" angers me. Its not an excuse BUT A REAL STRUGGLE. What part of that don't you get? Even though I'm not obese at all, my mind is. I can relate to fat people because my genetic makeup is programmed that way.

And do I ever eat bad and don't exercise? You bet. BUT only for a day or so. Never more because I know the consequences. I keep a close watch on my weight and my lifestyle.

I have compassion for people who struggle. I don't sit high on my mighty horse because I've managed to overcome my genetics. I totally understand people who struggle with life. And telling them its just an excuse does not help them AT ALL.

And btw, psych meds are known to cause weight gain. It activates the hunger part of the brain.

IT'S A STRUGGLE NOT AN EXCUSE!!

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

21,488 posts, read 22,676,647 times
I think the take away here is not to use genetics as an excuse, because we of course bear responsibility over those things we can control, but to understand that all "discipline and willpower" is not equal. Some people can eat (mostly) what they want, without too much worry, and if they need to lose a quick 5 lbs they cut out dessert and soda and do a bit more walking and in a week or two it's gone - and congratulate themselves on their discipline. I know because I used to be that person. I've been humbled as I've aged and I know I wasn't thin because of my awesome willpower and discipline. I have a lot more now than I did then. I pay much more attention to what goes into my mouth and how much exercise I get but it's a constant struggle. I also have a relative who has struggled mightily with weight practically since she was born. Neither parent is overweight (although one practically lives on hot water and lemon to maintain her weight), sibling is not overweight, very active family growing up, swam, golfed, skied, tennis..Yet has struggled every day of her life. I'm not convinced something isn't different for her.

Old Today, 11:14 AM

29,924 posts, read 18,939,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think the take away here is not to use genetics as an excuse, because we of course bear responsibility over those things we can control, but to understand that all "discipline and willpower" is not equal. Some people can eat (mostly) what they want, without too much worry, and if they need to lose a quick 5 lbs they cut out dessert and soda and do a bit more walking and in a week or two it's gone - and congratulate themselves on their discipline. I know because I used to be that person. I've been humbled as I've aged and I know I wasn't thin because of my awesome willpower and discipline. I have a lot more now than I did then. I pay much more attention to what goes into my mouth and how much exercise I get but it's a constant struggle. I also have a relative who has struggled mightily with weight practically since she was born. Neither parent is overweight (although one practically lives on hot water and lemon to maintain her weight), sibling is not overweight, very active family growing up, swam, golfed, skied, tennis..Yet has struggled every day of her life. I'm not convinced something isn't different for her.
Very well said, and I completely agree.

My sister has always had a weight problem, despite a better lifestyle than me, and I was always thin no matter how little exercise I had or how many pounds of bacon I ate.

Of course my genetics have determined, now that I am older that I exercise religiously and eat healthy or I plump up.

Then I was on a medication, that put on 10 pounds and I could NOT get it off despite lots of exercise, and calorie counting. Medication gone, 10 pounds gone.

So there ARE factors that contribute that make it much more difficult for some.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 11:19 AM

3,703 posts, read 1,085,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
In terms of old paintings, there are quite a few that depict very fleshy, nude young women. Take a look at the works of Renoir, for example. Many older paintings depict very fleshy young women, often only partially clothed.
The women in those pictures are not obese. And maybe being slightly overweight was considered beautiful then, since you had to be rich to get a lot of food.

It's exactly the opposite now -- you have to be skinny to be considered beautiful, because you have to be rich to afford healthy food and time for exercise.

Old Today, 11:34 AM

5,890 posts, read 3,395,119 times
I grew up in an Italian and Irish household in the 50's. My Mom and Nonna did not cook like what you people get at an Olive Garden today. We ate PEASANT food which was a lot of dark green fresh veggies and beans made into soups. I walked home from elementary school (horror) and Nonna who lived with us, cooked me lunch, and not pastas. Lot of soup from scratch.

I hated meats, fast food, TV dinners as a kid. Mom liked baking but I wouldn't eat it. Can I have a carrot, celery, or raw potato for a snack? Kids in school called me Bugs Bunny, and not because of my teeth. It wasn't my parents pushing this on me, but my own individual tastes in food.

I have never been one single pound overweight in my life. Probably because I never like the kinds of foods that food on weight. PLUS, I am a hyper person who cannot sit for long period of time. Quit working in an office because I couldn't sit at a desk for 8 hours a day.

I am 70 now and retired. STILL don't sit for hours on end.

Old Today, 11:37 AM

29,924 posts, read 18,939,105 times
I think you are missing the point Jo, and that's people are different.

People at work used to say I didn't have lunch, I grazed (all raw veggies). Offerings for my help at work included them bringing me veggies and/or chocolate, both bought my love equally.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or