U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 8,442 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I had this procedure done on 2/28. It’s now 3/4 and I am still in the most ridiculous amount of pain. Is this normal? The hydrocodone that was prescribed doesn’t even take the edge off. When can I expect to feel any amount better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 10:39 AM

11,254 posts, read 44,563,494 times
after having two removed in the course of some polyp removals and experiencing similar pain to yours …

my internal med doc told me that this is one of the most painful/difficult surgery recoveries people undergo. They didn't forewarn me of this possibility prior to or after the surgery, so it was only after a couple of weeks when I visited with the doc with my concern and he revealed the probable outcome of a significant recovery time frame and ongoing pain as a common experience.

your diet will play an important role in how much irritation your internals experience that trigger a pain response. I found that to be more of an improvement than relying upon opiods, which I rarely took and discontinued after a week because they … as you have also discovered … weren't very effective and I wasn't tolerating the side effects very well.

I can't say how long your recovery may take, but for me the pain didn't slack off for months. It took almost two years before I could infrequently return to my prior diet where I enjoyed spicy foods … and, at that, with only a fraction of the chili heat or peppers that I previously used. My taste buds were trying to get happy but the rest of tract wasn't. It's been years since the surgery and I still cannot tolerate the spicy foods of years ago without being at risk of triggering a painful aftermath.

IMO, best to keep your doc advised of the ongoing recovery and difficulties. They may have some recommendations or a dietitian who can be of help. Best wishes for your recovery, be prepared for this to take awhile.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM

2,711 posts, read 2,009,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker1859 View Post
Hello -

I had this procedure done on 2/28. It’s now 3/4 and I am still in the most ridiculous amount of pain. Is this normal? The hydrocodone that was prescribed doesn’t even take the edge off. When can I expect to feel any amount better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
after having two removed in the course of some polyp removals and experiencing similar pain to yours …

my internal med doc told me that this is one of the most painful/difficult surgery recoveries people undergo. They didn't forewarn me of this possibility prior to or after the surgery, so it was only after a couple of weeks when I visited with the doc with my concern and he revealed the probable outcome of a significant recovery time frame and ongoing pain as a common experience.

your diet will play an important role in how much irritation your internals experience that trigger a pain response. I found that to be more of an improvement than relying upon opiods, which I rarely took and discontinued after a week because they … as you have also discovered … weren't very effective and I wasn't tolerating the side effects very well.

I can't say how long your recovery may take, but for me the pain didn't slack off for months. It took almost two years before I could infrequently return to my prior diet where I enjoyed spicy foods … and, at that, with only a fraction of the chili heat or peppers that I previously used. My taste buds were trying to get happy but the rest of tract wasn't. It's been years since the surgery and I still cannot tolerate the spicy foods of years ago without being at risk of triggering a painful aftermath.

IMO, best to keep your doc advised of the ongoing recovery and difficulties. They may have some recommendations or a dietitian who can be of help. Best wishes for your recovery, be prepared for this to take awhile.
OK, that does it. 2 words I never want to use together: "my hemorrhoidectomy"!

Old 05-20-2019, 08:48 PM

28 posts, read 38,309 times
Wow I am happy I stumbled on this thread. I just had two prolapsed internal hemorrhoids removed last Monday (5/13) and have been going through hell. There's not a lot of information on the internet of people sharing their recovery experiences with this surgery so thank you OP for sharing. It is comforting to know that what I'm experienced isn't completely uncommon.

This has been my experience so far. First day and half of the following day I was doing okay. Then in the afternoon of the 2nd day everything turned worse, much, much worse... I had my first bm that afternoon and the pain was so intense that I almost passed out and it took several hours for it subside enough to be barley tolerable. On day three things got even worse. I was unable to urinate so I ended up in the ER and was placed on a catheter and was informed that it would be for the next 5 days. I did not have a BM on day 3 but there was immense pressure and I felt extremely constipated so in addition to the hydrocodone, the stool softeners twice per day and the Miralax and fiber they told me to add 1 dose of Milk of Magnesia each morning until I had a BM. Day 4 I woke up feeling about the same as day 3 and had my first BM of the day which was mostly water after some semi hard stool. I spent most of the day in the bathroom and was experiencing severe diarrhea this is only getting slightly better as of today and I stopped taking all of the laxatives as soon as the diarrhea started. Every time I have a BM it feels like I'm being poked with a hot poker in the you know where. After the BM is finished I'm left with an excruciating burning sensation and the only thing that helps is ice. Over the weekend my catheter stopped draining so I went back to the ER and they removed it. I have a bladder infection so an antibiotic has been added to the mix. This has been the most brutal pain I've ever experienced in my life. It has been exactly one week today and the light at the end of the tunnel is very far away.

I stopped the hydrocodone after day 4 and have been taking Ibuprofen and Tylenol 3 times a day. The pain just laughed at the hydrocodone. the Ibuprofen seems to help the most. Good luck to anyone else going through this right now.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Today is day 9 and the pain is still very strong when I have a BM. The burning and stinging after passing a bowel is very intense and lasts for about an hour before it starts to subside. I get in the shower right away to "cool" things down and then I take a sitz bath in about 100 degree water for 15-20 minutes or until I feel better. As I'm sitting here typing this I'm in some pain and there is a lot of pressure. I constantly feel the urge to go but I know my body can't and I will just want to strain and push and that's going to cause more pain. It's difficult to know when it's actually time to go and and when it's not. This has been, and is a very miserable situation for me. Oh, and there is still quite a bit of bleeding where the incisions were made. I know that the areas where the Hemorrhoids were removed will need to heal from the inside of the wound out and I suspect that will take quite some time given the location and the size of the cavity that was left behind. Hanging in there as best I can.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:27 PM

163 posts, read 76,032 times
I had an OHMIGODWHATHAVEYOUDONETOMYBUTT-ectomy as well. It took a long time for the pain to subside, and I gave up my usual disdain for pain relievers. I took what they gave me and got a prescription renewal as well.

The following is TMI, but necessary for this subject.
The only advice I have for those who're recovering is warm baths (assuming docs say OK). This relaxed me to the point that I could lay back and "go" in the bathtub. Not optimal, but with forethought and disposable gloves the cleanup was minimal. I didn't care what happened to the tub just so long as I could relieve the pain for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
my internal med doc told me that this is one of the most painful/difficult surgery recoveries people undergo.

I met a woman at the doc's office who was recovering from it along with me. She told me "congratulations, you can now claim to have endured pain equivalent to childbirth". It was the worst I've ever experienced. Best wishes to anyone recovering from this.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 AM

This is just terrible. It's day 10 and the pain remains just as bad as it's been when I have a BM. I have done the same thing the above poster has done but mine was in the shower.

Old 06-19-2019, 12:21 AM

I figured I would provide another update. I'm on week 5 and things have improved significantly. i would say I am 90% plus back to normal at this point. Looking back on my journey I would say that the first 3 weeks of this surgery are just pure misery and intense pain but once things starts to heal improvement increases quickly as each day passes. I'm glad now that I had the procedure done and that the pain is behind me. To others considering this surgery I would just like to add that you should only consider it if you have grade 4 and your daily life is impacted to the point you have no other option. In my case, I couldn't deal with the everyday pain and discomfort any longer and there was simply no other treatment option that was effective.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:50 AM

1,176 posts, read 439,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAmerica View Post
... and that the pain is behind me....
Giggle!

Seriously though - that is really good news, I am so happy for you! (and for others, including myself, who might have to one day deal with this) I hope the improvement continues quickly you and are up to 100% very, very soon!

Old 06-19-2019, 12:12 PM

26,130 posts, read 9,486,298 times
Avoiding certain foods and making sure we are getting necessary minerals like magnesium can keep us from those surgeries. I had a history of hems but with years of changing diet and being prudent with magnesium, they are gone. And daily doses of antioxidants which include Vit C and Grape Seed Extract. No more hems, but I keep at it. OP, continue to keep regular. Surgeries can be necessary but so often we end up with more issues from them.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-19-2019 at 12:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness