Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:15 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times

Advertisements

Check out Quackwatch's Chirobase:

https://www.chirobase.org/

Old 03-05-2019, 09:36 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,816,761 times
I am not in any real pain, much less pain that would even remotely suggest using a chiropractor.
But if I was you couldn't pay me to see one.
I am not even sure they could perform a closed reduction on a broken bone.

Every year I get more cynical but I can't seem to keep up!

Old 03-05-2019, 10:18 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
My wife goes to s Chiro for back problems and swears by him. She's very happy with the results. I went to a different Chiro for a different back problem and the Chiro made is worse and I had to have a real doc do surgery which was successful.

Old 03-05-2019, 11:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I believe many chiros do a more gentle release of the neck area and many use the activator technique...I've had that work and it works. As far as scamming, I would never sign up for thousands of dollars...one visit at a time is what I've done for 30 some yrs. We are in charge of the purse strings.
I put max money in FSA and saw them at least twice a week for years, plus they got money from my insurance too. Over the years, it could be in ten thousands of dollars. Plus my doctor gave me a note to say I needed it.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:07 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
It sounds like my initial suspicion was correct: many chiropractors are quacks, and this one certainly is.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 AM

6,410 posts, read 4,908,175 times
I saw Chiros a few times. The first time they "adjusted" my neck and I had numbness in the hand for months. Another time (different Chiro) adjusted my lower back and made it much worse. Some folks swear by them and others don't care like them. I am and was always dubious of the exaggerated claims of Cancer cures and the like. I personally prefer PT and exercise.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I was skeptical and the first one I went to my skepticism was legit (I think?).

The chiro charged me for a consult to chat with me about my problems I was having and to come up with an action plan. She made me stand up straight, walk, bend etc, which is all normal. But then she had me lay down and she just kind of hovered her hands over me and she said she was measuring some sort of energy and toxin levels? After which she said I'd need to come in for treatment 4-5 times a week for a couple weeks, then I could MAYBE cut back to 3 times a week, ultimately landing one once a week for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:15 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I've been to many, many chiropractors over the years and none of them helped. The most recent one is doing some new technique which actually made me feel worse. I had already paid for 10 visits up front since he didn't take insurance and did not continue going after the 10 visits were done.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:11 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I was skeptical and the first one I went to my skepticism was legit (I think?).

The chiro charged me for a consult to chat with me about my problems I was having and to come up with an action plan. She made me stand up straight, walk, bend etc, which is all normal. But then she had me lay down and she just kind of hovered her hands over me and she said she was measuring some sort of energy and toxin levels? After which she said I'd need to come in for treatment 4-5 times a week for a couple weeks, then I could MAYBE cut back to 3 times a week, ultimately landing one once a week for the foreseeable future.
I hope you ran far away from that place.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I looked for a thread on this but didn't see one so I apologize if this was covered before. My wife and I went to one of those dine-with-a-doc things last night. He told us his personal story about having a terrible intestinal disease that was solved by chiropractic and how he would have died if it weren't for the treatments. We are looking for more natural methods of pain relief as we reach middle age (she has some knee pain and I have headaches.) He said he could fix many problems and I am skeptical and don't believe all his claims, but maybe he can help somewhat. What do you think? Are they charlatans? Many people swear by them, but others think they are all useless thugs who prey on sick people's desperation. Or are some good and some terrible? We have an appointment with him later and will try to keep an open mind, but I'm still not sold on the idea.
This.

I remember that some years back, Consumer Reports researched chronic pain solutions, and found that for people with chronic musculoskeletal pain, yoga and/or chiropractic sometimes offered more than mainstream medicine. And my experience with a lower back injury leads me to concur.

But for a GI issue? I think you're dealing with a quack or a deluded-but-sincere nut.

Were I you, I'd look into yoga or swimming pool exercise.

Edited to add: the chiro I saw was an MD who had been in a very bad car accident, and chiropractic was the best therapy that he had found for the resulting chronic pain, so he went through chiro school so he could help others. Never made any outrageous claims about what he did.

If your wife insists on trying chiro, find a practitioner who advertises that s/he will work with MDs, physical therapists, and/or massage therapists to develop a treatment plan for you.

Last edited by jacqueg; 03-06-2019 at 10:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness