U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 01:12 PM

21,547 posts, read 7,307,377 times

Advertisements

I would think this could happen more if one frequents indoor places with crowds..even movie theatres and airplanes, but even then I've not gotten sick.

Outside places like Disneyland, 6 Flags etc..are out in the fresh cleaner air.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-06-2019 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:16 PM

5,811 posts, read 2,271,930 times
No, nothing with such a pattern. Even working at libraries, visitor centers or giving programs to kids I just don't tend to pick up their bug-of-the-month. Maybe because I'm exposed so much my immune system is on higher alert more of the time. OP it might not be the place itself or their practices but the fact that there are simply sheer numbers of carriers present on any one day you visit. A crowded venue with huge turnover day in and day out.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:20 PM

32 posts, read 6,214 times
Isn't it fairly common for people to get sick when they travel? I know my sister and I just had a debate a few weeks ago because she had a fever but didn't want to cancel an expensive trip. I can imagine there are lots of people who do this. They pay for a trip and look forward to it, then at the last minute they come down with something but take the trip anyway. All of a sudden you have someone infecting planes, museums, restaurants, hotels, public transport etc far away from home. And if they have an illness that is uncommon where you are from, your body may not have the resources to fight it.

If you go to the Port Authority Bus Station in NYC, chances are good you might get sick. There are just some places that a lot of humans move through that are illness incubators.

Wasn't this part of the Ebola scare a few years ago? That one of the nurses who was exposed had a fever but then got on a plane to go to a wedding dress fitting out of state?

You just don't know what nasty or dangerous bugs people are bringing with them when they travel.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,035,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightserenade View Post
It has happened to me as well. I don't mind saying it was at the Smithsonian museums on the national mall. We were sick for weeks after. We travel a fair bit, and its not the only time something like this has happened. I don't think its uncommon.
Yes we have a joke in my family....if you want a week off of work, just take a trip to the Smithsonian. That place is gross.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:57 PM

5,129 posts, read 6,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlightserenade View Post
It has happened to me as well. I don't mind saying it was at the Smithsonian museums on the national mall. We were sick for weeks after. We travel a fair bit, and its not the only time something like this has happened. I don't think its uncommon.
Maybe it is maybe it isn't. But I think if people got sick this frequently from just going where crowds are no one would go anywhere. I have flown a lot and been to world class attractions all over. I have used PLENTY of airport bathrooms. I don't recall ever getting sick from any of it.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:04 PM

2,044 posts, read 1,035,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Maybe it is maybe it isn't. But I think if people got sick this frequently from just going where crowds are no one would go anywhere. I have flown a lot and been to world class attractions all over. I have used PLENTY of airport bathrooms. I don't recall ever getting sick from any of it.
I don't get sick often at all so it's very notable when I do. And I can point to a clear connection between a specific tourist location and gross illness shortly after. If I got sick more often the connection might not be so pronounced. As one of the rep comments said, I should probably stop going before I get some bizarre form of untreatable TB. And the ebola comment brought back that whole scare of an illness not normally found in the US being brought here and then a caretaker exposing others through air travel.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:26 PM

5,023 posts, read 3,400,645 times
My family goes a lot of places, including big tourist attractions like Disney World (we have annual passes, in fact) and the Smithsonian museums, and I've never noticed that sort of thing. We also tend to fly around a lot... as far as I can remember, we only got any type of bad illness once, after flying back from Germany. Could have been the plane, the airport, the grocery store on the way home. Who knows? My son flies monthly or more often and he recently brought home a cold after going to Chicago. Again, could have been the plane, the airport, the event he went to, or even from one of his friends who might have picked it up at a gas station or from his aunt Edna. I interact regularly with people from other countries and sometimes have them living in my home. I have never caught anything more serious than a cold from any of them, and even that is rare.

It sounds like you are picking up a cold and since you go to this place frequently, you're attributing it to this place. Are you also stopping at a rest area along the way? Pumping gas or stopping to get a drink? Unless the attraction has some feature that attracts sick people (is it like a healing place or an art exhibition attached to a hospital? ), I don't see how it would be logical that you get sick each time. Surely you encounter crowds at other times and you use public restrooms (which are generally not as clean as your own bathroom) regularly? Or do you not do these things and going to this place is the only time you are around a lot of people at once?

I guess if you're getting sick and attributing it to this one attraction, then stop going for a year and see what happens. Then go back one day and see if you get sick. If so, maybe there is something about it, like mold in the air vents or similar.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:04 PM

11,118 posts, read 19,726,953 times
Agree - I've gone to Smithsonians, etc. many times - have never gotten sick. Maybe it's something about stress of people visiting you? Psychological?

Old 03-07-2019, 05:30 AM

3,424 posts, read 1,434,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Agree - I've gone to Smithsonians, etc. many times - have never gotten sick. Maybe it's something about stress of people visiting you? Psychological?
I have been to Disney more than 100 times, Smithsonians, other major tourist attractions. I live in a suburb of a large city and take friends/family to sightsee and have rarely gotten sick.

Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 AM

2,094 posts, read 883,572 times
I don't think wearing a mask is too dramatic. If anyone questions it, you can say YOU have a cold and don't want to spread it. I would also go with disposable cotton gloves and wash your clothes and shower after getting home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or