U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 05:38 AM

14,435 posts, read 7,944,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I has thought about that but it seems dramatic. It's probably better just not to go at all. Which is a shame. But I can't afford weeks of feeling awful after.
I dunno - certainly a lot of asians wear face masks in their own country - perhaps they should also when they are out of their country! Not only will you not breathe in as much stuff you'll also have a barrier if you're the type to touch your face a lot.

But I mean to say is that it might not really be that dramatic - do what you need to do for yourself and don't worry about what others might think - just enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 09:39 AM

528 posts, read 157,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
lot.

But I mean to say is that it might not really be that dramatic - do what you need to do for yourself and don't worry about what others might think - just enjoy!
Here in the NYC metropolitan area, it isn't uncommon to see Asian with face masks. I think I've seen more Asians with face masks at airports than without.

It's so common, no one is going to freak out about it.

Could it be a change in diet which is the problem?

Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 AM

2,559 posts, read 1,434,936 times
Have you tried taking emergen-c or similar for the week before and after going? It may help. But it sounds like you’re better off skipping it or planning to be sick after. Then if you aren’t it’s a nice surprise.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:07 AM

3,617 posts, read 2,575,102 times
I think it's possible that the hand sanitizer over the years has hurt your body's immune system and made you unable to fight off germs yourself.

I know it's a whacky idea, but we refuse to use hand sanitizers, just wash our hands with regular soap and water, no antibacterials added. We travel, we go to big attractions, we are with the public seven days a week and we don't get the flu or lots of colds.

We also follow the advice of a favorite college professor from long ago - don't touch your face. Keep your hands out of your eyes, nose, mouth.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM

9,455 posts, read 7,554,143 times
I do not have a hand washing fetish.
I do not use anti-bacterial wipes on shopping cart handles at Walmart (or anywhere else, for that matter).
I do not use, nor do I have, hand sanitizers.
I visit museums, trade shows, gun shows, and other places where there are mobs of people.
I often go to "pot-luck" luncheons and eat whatever looks good.
I go to Ham radio get togethers where there are several hundred people from the U.S. and Canada.
I rarely get sick.
OP, I do believe that either there is something in that place that YOU are reacting to but doesn't effect most other people, (keep in mind that there is a difference between an allergy and a sensitivity), or you need to get medical help the next time this occurs. It may be advisable to get bacterial tests done to determine if this problem is, in fact, bacterial or viral. If no infection actually exists, it is probably an allergic reaction, or a sensitivity, or psychosomatic.
You need to investigate to find out which it is.
Good luck.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:47 PM

654 posts, read 362,797 times
Wear a mask. Doesn’t matter what others think. Besides, most will think you are in chemo treatments. I wear one on airplanes during flu season. I think most think I’m the sick one and like that I am protecting them. Sat in my seat and a young woman beside me asked if I had an extra mask she could have. Lots of coughing on the flying sewer pipe.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:06 PM

14,906 posts, read 30,525,727 times
I am thinking it's psychological. For one the OP wont mention which "attraction" it is - why the secrecy? I believe OP has associated going to this place with the certainty that he will become ill, therefore a self-fulfilling prophecy. There may be other things he doesn't like about this place which literally make him physically ill. That is my take on it. OP, just don't go there anymore! You obviously don't enjoy it and it makes you SICK, you should not feel forced to go there, doesn't matter WHY you get sick, only that you do.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2019, 08:28 PM

8,760 posts, read 5,907,264 times
Quote:
I get deathly ill every time I visit a certain tourist attraction in my area. There are people who come from literally all over the world to see it and not all are hygienically inclined. Also there's invariably a lot of school trips and kids there too. It's the perfect storm of germs and I have gotten terrible infections (the flu twice and bad colds numerous times) within a day or two of a visit. It never fails.

I use hand sanitizer and try to avoid going during cold and flu season but I think I have to just stop visiting altogether. I enjoy this particular attraction and out of town guests always want to be go. Anyone else notice they get sick when going somewhere like this?
Don't go to tourist attractions.

You'll save money and won't get sick

Old 03-13-2019, 06:01 AM

12,649 posts, read 17,223,197 times
Quote:
The time of year doesn't seem to matter. I have thought about writing to them and asking if they can put more signage around about hand washing and not visiting when sick etc. Ironically I used to live not far from this place (it's in a major city) and never got sick when visiting. But now that I've moved away I get really ill every time I go. Last visit a woman from East Asia sneezed right in my face when we were standing in line and wiped her nose with her hand and then touched the railing we were standing by. I think a lot of people have different cultural norms about cleanliness so it might be a good idea to have a public health campaign around visiting.
Did I miss the sign East Asia?

Old 03-13-2019, 11:48 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,758,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If no infection actually exists, it is probably an allergic reaction, or a sensitivity, or psychosomatic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am thinking it's psychological. For one the OP wont mention which "attraction" it is - why the secrecy? I believe OP has associated going to this place with the certainty that he will become ill, therefore a self-fulfilling prophecy. There may be other things he doesn't like about this place which literally make him physically ill. That is my take on it. OP, just don't go there anymore! You obviously don't enjoy it and it makes you SICK, you should not feel forced to go there, doesn't matter WHY you get sick, only that you do.
At first I thought the idea that it was psychosomatic seemed a little far-fetched, but the OP posted in another thread (about warehouse stores) that she is an introvert who dislikes large shops, being surrounded by people, standing in lines, and being exposed to germs. So there may very well be something to the psychological aspect. OP may enjoy this tourist attraction in one sense and also feel obliged to go with out-of-town guests, but on another level she feels quite uncomfortable there and may respond by becoming physically ill.

Yeah, armchair psychology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or