U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 07:23 PM

21,621 posts, read 7,318,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcass View Post
Oh yes - in fact, processed meat is probably the worst thing you can eat. It's been declared a class one carcinogen by the World Health Organization - in good company, along with smoking, asbestos, and plutonium.

Red meat isn't far behind, being a class two carcinogen.
I certainly don't believe everything I read. I've eaten both all my very long life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 07:27 PM

42 posts, read 15,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I certainly don't believe everything I read. I've eaten both all my very long life.
Nor do I, but this has been declared so by the World Health Organization, and there have been a multitude of long term studies implicating processed meat consumption with a wide variety of cancers and chronic diseases.

I'd be concerned if you've been eating a lot of processed meat - of course, diet is tricky, because the deleterious effects of a poor diet (such as the SAD) are pernicious, and can take years to surface. But they exist, nonetheless, as evident by the very poor state of health that much of the population is in.

Old 03-09-2019, 08:51 PM

2,052 posts, read 823,449 times
Itís usually very high in Sodium and MSG. Iím very careful about which kinds of deli meat I eat, and I read the labels thoroughly.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:05 PM

21,621 posts, read 7,318,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcass View Post
Nor do I, but this has been declared so by the World Health Organization, and there have been a multitude of long term studies implicating processed meat consumption with a wide variety of cancers and chronic diseases.

I'd be concerned if you've been eating a lot of processed meat - of course, diet is tricky, because the deleterious effects of a poor diet (such as the SAD) are pernicious, and can take years to surface. But they exist, nonetheless, as evident by the very poor state of health that much of the population is in.
Foods were a lot cleaner and of higher quality many yrs back and I grew up on all meats and parents lived into 90's eating meats, and I'm not a cheerleader for meats, but in my life I've done pretty well closing in on 81. Back then too, meats were preserved but not like today, we have a mega population to feed vs years back and back then we didn't shop for organic foods, so much was naturally organic due to richer soils. So much has changed and being much older I've been thru it.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:26 PM

19,535 posts, read 12,786,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You can find nitrite/nitrate free cold cuts pretty easily in most places.

Even Oscar Meyer has a few products that are nitr* free.

True, but one has to be careful even there as the substitute used for sodium nitrate is often celery powder, which while natural have virtually same properties as artificial nitrates. This includes effects upon human body once ingested.

Only way to totally avoid nitrates is to not consume cured meats (bacon, salami, most deli meats, etc...). There just isn't a free lunch here; nitrates kill off and prevent nasty things from growing thus extending shelf life, and also give cured meats that pink color.

https://firsthandfoods.com/2017/12/0...th-or-reality/

Moderation is the key.....

Eating bacon once a week on say Sunday at breakfast, or getting your gabagool itch satisfied now and then probably causes no harm. But eating a BLT several times a week and or consuming various cured meats for lunch or dinner often probably isn't a good idea.

That being said have to pick-up a corned beef brisket later this week for Saint Patrick's day!

Old 03-10-2019, 06:48 AM

20,816 posts, read 29,436,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've had the Oscar Meyer but the meat guy at the grocery store said it wasn't what it was cracked up to be. Whatever he meant, I'm not sure. Maybe he meant that there's other nasty stuff in there.

So I'm back to Applegate Farms which is consistently good.
I agree, it's available at most grocery stores too.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:34 PM

1,608 posts, read 767,096 times

So, CSPI wants to put warning labels on processed meats that say it increases risk of colon cancer. USDA has had it under review since 2016. If they are going to do that, they should just go ahead and put warnings on all processed foods since all contain potentially harmful additives.

Many won't get cancer from eating processed meats. All smokers won't get cancer either, but it will cause health problems, or aggravate them at the least. Same here.

We stopped eating them over a decade ago, mainly because they taste awful to us. The sodium is overpowering. Those who eat processed and restaurant foods regularly are probably used to it and don't notice. Many have sugar added too. Look at the ingredient labels.

There is a lot deceptive advertising and using deceptive terms on the front of packages. All brands are guilty of this; it's a competitive industry. It's legal. Scrutinize those terms and you will see how misleading they are. Scrutinize the ingredients. Research. Many of the reasons to avoid them are the same reasons to avoid other processed foods.

Even if animals were raised in the best conditions, processors do disgusting things and add harmful ingredients to the meat.

If I want deli meat, it's far cheaper, tastier and healthier to roast my own turkey, chicken, beef, slice it up, portion it out and freeze to be used as wanted.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:53 PM

11,778 posts, read 5,606,744 times
I’ve always avoid deli meat. Never packed them for my kids lunch. But I indulge myself occasionally with a pastrami sandwich, like the one I had when I was teenager, simply delicious. I think there’s one Jewish deli/restaurant in LA where Larry Kings used to eat regularly.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:59 PM

5,566 posts, read 2,526,982 times
The nagging question in most products is...why does it cost more to NOT add nitrates..msg and a zillion other harmful 'additives". ?
This delusion that if it's a name brand then it must be safe is silly. My dil gets migraines from nitrates..name brand or not.
Who's to say that roasted chicken wasn't injected ?
In my area...deer bologna is a standard after the kill...I imagine it's got some real nasty naturally formed carcinogens to pass along. Sort of nature's way of evening out the species..eat at your own risk.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM

13,692 posts, read 24,833,191 times
All you need to remember is that if it tastes good, it is bad for you. No one has escaped death yet but to me, a life where you eat nothing but kale and drink sterilized water is a life not lived. We all get to take our chances.

Please pass the plutonium!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or