U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 04:09 PM

17,892 posts, read 22,940,229 times

Advertisements

everything in moderation....

sugar is worse but you don't see "is eating sugar bad for you"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 05:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 2,638,130 times
It certainly isn't good for you, nutritionally. In addition to lots of sodium and saturated fat, there are nitrates and nitrites in most of them. And the amino acids of the proteins are damaged by all the processing, to the point of having little value, except for breakdown to carbohydrates.

Of course, those involved in the production or sales of them would deny all that. And many of those who have a lifelong tradition of eating them, would join in that denial. And if you read in the right places, you'll see lots of warnings about how bad sugar is for you.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:55 PM

12,277 posts, read 8,251,133 times
Nitrates are bad for you because it kills good bacteria in your belly. Just as bad as preservatives.

The more processed foods you eat that are loaded with nitrates and preservatives the worst your immune system gets. Without a strong immune system, you will be susceptible to colds, flu, and then cancer.

You should eat foods that have lots of probiotic content like fermented foods. Spices like curry that can kill cancer cells. And wholesome foods that boost your digestive enzymes that can protect you from carcinogens.

There's reason why some cultures don't get cancer as frequently as Americans because they eat a lot of fermented foods and in general less red meat and more fish and fiber. They don't eat canned and deli meats.

Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 PM

29,932 posts, read 18,939,105 times
Nitrates probably aren't good for you, and nitrates from celery probably isn't good for you either.

I just make sure that we eat luncheon meat in moderation, and it is a very small part of our diet.

If we eat a lot of all the things that are good, and little of all the things that are bad..... I think we will be fine in general.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-10-2019, 08:02 PM

29,932 posts, read 18,939,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
everything in moderation....

sugar is worse but you don't see "is eating sugar bad for you"?
Um, yeah, lots of threads.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-11-2019, 05:59 AM

70,682 posts, read 81,777,042 times
I really do not think processed meats is the worst thing you can eat. Anyone that thinks that isn't really thinking of all the back things many of us eat. Now, to be honest, of course processed meats and I don't care what the brand is certainly isn't a healthy diet, but as many have said over and over, in moderation, a nothing is all that bad. We do not eat sandwiches often period, maybe one a week with lunch meat, if that many. I like to fix tuna, chicken salad or something like that, but there are those times when a big fat sandwich just hits the spot. The same with red meat, we keep it down to once or twice a week, but I love those once or twice a week dinners. The rest of the time I love our fish and chicken with pork thrown in there about once a week.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:51 AM

2,536 posts, read 880,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The nagging question in most products is...why does it cost more to NOT add nitrates..msg and a zillion other harmful 'additives". ?

The economics of shelf life/ cost of spoilage.

Of Course Deli Meats cause cancer! The real question is how much cancer do they cause?...The real answer is --so little you can't differentiate it from the statistical noise in the data.

You're more likely to die in an auto accident driving that extra mile to get "chemical free" food.

Who wants to live longer if it means worrying so much about such unimportant details? Keep things in perspective.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:32 AM

3,674 posts, read 1,836,160 times
I used to eat the "healthy" nitrate and nitrite free deli meats before my heart attack, and thought they tasted fine. At that time I believed I was eating healthier as well since the fat amount was very low. However, now I really have to watch my sodium levels like a hawk, so deli meats are simply not on my menu. I tried the same deli chicken once since the heart attack and was shocked at how salty it tasted, so I just threw out the rest of the package. I don't keep bread in the house, so I don't miss making sandwiches anyway.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:33 PM

70,682 posts, read 81,777,042 times
[quote=guidoLaMoto;54659449]The economics of shelf life/ cost of spoilage.

Of Course Deli Meats cause cancer! The real question is how much cancer do they cause?...The real answer is --so little you can't differentiate it from the statistical noise in the data.

You're more likely to die in an auto accident driving that extra mile to get "chemical free" food.
. /QUOTE]
I never like the statement such and such causes cancer. it sounds like if you eat whatever you will get cancer. I think what is meant is processed meats can be a factor in cancer.
btw: wanted to rep you again but I have to spread it around I am told

Old Today, 07:05 PM
Status: "Neeson's daughter REALLY was Taken!" (set 14 days ago)

15,967 posts, read 15,986,037 times
IDK, but I did start buying uncured-bacon in-light of news about this subject............but all that salt, ugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or