U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:39 AM

21,547 posts, read 7,281,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
The bolded is a problem for me. I am a complete sugar addict, and I can't eat just one or two pieces. If there's something sweet in my house, I will eat all of it until it's gone.

I know I have to stop eating sugar, but it's just so HARD.
True addictions are hard to break, wonder why so many addiction centers around....not just for the sugar stuff. I'm talking addiction.

A loved one in my life had a horrible addiction to sweets, every refined food, and my thinking it advanced her MS disease. She's gone and fought it so but I don't think she "got the sugar" issue and her nerves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

336 posts, read 310,202 times
I have just started working with a registered dietician for help with my weight loss goals (100 pounds overweight).
I had my children at 27 and 39 years old and in between pregnancies my weight was normal, even slightly underweight. This all changed after my youngest was born. I quit smoking 2 months before baby was born and gained 40 stubborn pounds and simply could not lose weight. Upset with my lack of progress, bored being home alone with baby, I gradually gave up exercise and began to comfort myself with food. I have always had a sweet tooth and indulged it regularly.
Over the past 18 years, I started (and stopped) a weekly drinking habit (at least four rum and cokes every Friday night) and continued to pile on the pounds.
These bad habits resulted in exacerbating health problems, including high BP, fatty liver, osteoarthritis.
Over the past few years, I started to clean up my diet, but just now learning proper portion control. I never liked artificial sweeteners, but occasionally drank Zevia carbonated soda.
Sweets are my kryptonite. The dietician has suggested that I can indulge 2-3 times a week, but I'm not convinced I have that kind of willpower. Over the past 1-2 weeks, I have drastically eliminated sugar, including honey. I know honey has some beneficial aspects but it's sugar so I cut it. When I ate a brownie, it made me feel sick. Not sure if I psyched myself out or not, but fruit is the only sweet I've allowed myself. I have Finally Lost One Pound. Why does it take so long to lose but it's so easy to gain??

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

5,788 posts, read 2,253,177 times
I haven't been "blessed" with a raging sweet tooth but while trying to reduce the amount of sugar I ate I found it helped to identify all the products that contain unnecessary sugars. Foods you don't usually realize might be sweetened; drinks, condiments, bakery items, prepared foods. I started looking for the unsweetened alternatives. Little changes that altered my detection of, taste for, and desire for sweet. Eventually things I considered normal seemed overwhelmingly TOO sweet. The desire started to drop off, which made it easier to stop eating the bigger sugar bombs. Of course I still eat an occasional sweet thing, just a lot less often and I'm satisfied with a lot less of it. Like so many dietary things its a gradual change.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 02:12 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

1,764 posts, read 860,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Anyone else dealing with this habit? I know too much sugar is bad for you. Dont know how bad though.
I've never had a sweet tooth, but thought I'd mention that my husband has had a raging sweet tooth all his life, and he has no health problems from it. Of course, if he was diabetic like me, all that sugar would kill him.

Take care of your teeth, though, they don't like sugar at all.

Old Yesterday, 02:50 PM

18,962 posts, read 18,063,822 times
I used to eat a lot of sugar, two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee! That was a long time ago though, along with home made cookies and brownies, etc.

It's really hard to stop and I don't think you can stop completely because there seems to be added sugar in so many things. Then, of course, there are the natural sugars that occur in fruits and vegetables.

I read all the labels and try to stay away from any with added sugar. For a sweetener, I use stevia because at least it comes from a plant. I will use some sugar in a recipe but I might make it half sugar/half stevia.

And every time I cheat--like going to an event where they have cupcakes sitting around waiting for you to eat them--it just makes me crave sugar again because I cannot resist eating some. So then I have to work really have to get back on track.

There is one indulgence that's decadent and will satisfy my craving but I have to make it myself. This article may contain the same recipe. It does use some maple syrup or honey but I only use half as much and the other half is stevia. I love this chocolate bar and somehow, it doesn't make me want more.

https://livingwellmom.com/easy-homem...colate-recipe/

cup coconut oil, melted
⅔ cup raw cacao powder (I just use Hershey's cocoa powder)
3-4 Tbsp maple syrup (just a little bit and the rest is stevia)
Tbsp vanilla extract

I just use ordinary Hershey's (unsweetened) cocoa powder, nothing fancy. Heat it all up, stir it, and when it's cool enough, you just shape it into a chocolate bar. Put it on a plate and refrigerate for about an hour.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's just sweet enough. It also kills that mean old chocolate craving at the same time!

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

17,860 posts, read 22,914,805 times
I have a sweet tooth love some sweets!!
but over the last year I tried the keto diet and did a lot of research..... sugars and carbs are the real food demons not meats not fats..

yes ive lost some weight ...but more importantly I feel great and haven't had even a cold..

I just got my blood work back and my cholesterol is the lowest I can remember....while my protein and fat intake has increased.... my opinion .if your body isn't loaded with sugars/carbs your body reacts differently to fats and protein...at least it has for me....my hdl increased while the ldl decreased and tryglicerides are great

the old eskimos ate more than 50% fats in their diet the rest protein.....very little fruit or veggies and they had NO heart disease or cancer

watch "the magic pill" on Netflix .. its an eye opener

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

1,764 posts, read 860,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I used to eat a lot of sugar, two teaspoons of sugar in my coffee! That was a long time ago though, along with home made cookies and brownies, etc.

It's really hard to stop and I don't think you can stop completely because there seems to be added sugar in so many things. Then, of course, there are the natural sugars that occur in fruits and vegetables.

I read all the labels and try to stay away from any with added sugar. For a sweetener, I use stevia because at least it comes from a plant. I will use some sugar in a recipe but I might make it half sugar/half stevia.

And every time I cheat--like going to an event where they have cupcakes sitting around waiting for you to eat them--it just makes me crave sugar again because I cannot resist eating some. So then I have to work really have to get back on track.

There is one indulgence that's decadent and will satisfy my craving but I have to make it myself. This article may contain the same recipe. It does use some maple syrup or honey but I only use half as much and the other half is stevia. I love this chocolate bar and somehow, it doesn't make me want more.

https://livingwellmom.com/easy-homem...colate-recipe/

cup coconut oil, melted
⅔ cup raw cacao powder (I just use Hershey's cocoa powder)
3-4 Tbsp maple syrup (just a little bit and the rest is stevia)
Tbsp vanilla extract

I just use ordinary Hershey's (unsweetened) cocoa powder, nothing fancy. Heat it all up, stir it, and when it's cool enough, you just shape it into a chocolate bar. Put it on a plate and refrigerate for about an hour.

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it'sjust sweet enough. It also kills that mean old chocolate craving at the same time!

Do you actually use 4 Tbsp of maple syrup when you make the recipe? That has 56 g of sugar. Even if you only used 2 Tbsp, that would be 28 g of sugar.

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

3,338 posts, read 1,513,096 times
I like the Atkins Caramel Nut Rolls.

Another option is those Halloween candy bars.
They're small enough that they don't have many carbs. Yes, I can eat one.

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

29,875 posts, read 18,889,409 times
Never had a big sweet tooth, if I eat a cupcake or something I get sick to my stomach. No sweets in my coffee. For dessert I'll do an almond milk/protein powder shake, cinnamon, rum or almond extract, chocolate powder or sugar free pudding.

I like rich and decadent thought, chocolate almond torte with whipped cream, mousse, souffles, but that is a rare indulgence.

For a snack I may have a square of 86% chocolate, maybe add some peanut butter.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

18,962 posts, read 18,063,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Do you actually use 4 Tbsp of maple syrup when you make the recipe? That has 56 g of sugar. Even if you only used 2 Tbsp, that would be 28 g of sugar.
No. I think I said this recipe might be like the one I use. Also, I use mostly stevia in my recipe and that has zero sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness