U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM

1,764 posts, read 860,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
No. I think I said this recipe might be like the one I use. Also, I use mostly stevia in my recipe and that has zero sugar.

That sounds tasty then, I might try it for my husband to give him some sweets with less calories than he usually gets. Thanks for the recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM

214 posts, read 28,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Anyone else dealing with this habit? I know too much sugar is bad for you. Dont know how bad though.
I cut out all processed sugar from my diet and have never felt better. The only sugar I get now is from fresh fruit and occasionally raw honey in tea. Look younger and have as much energy as ever.

Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

3,164 posts, read 1,710,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
When I cut back on carbs (refined sugars specifically and simple carbs generally) a few years ago, I noticed that it took about two weeks for me to stop missing the sweetness of the sugars. After that period of time, it was much easier. And now, sweet stuff just doesn't taste very good.

Perhaps knowing this will be helpful. Good luck, it's a worthy goal.

That's the way it worked for me too. The healthier ones' diet becomes the less appealing junk food tastes. Some people mistakenly believe we're "depriving" ourselves when in fact it's quite the opposite.

A good start is reducing or just eliminating processed foods from the diet. If you're still into baking some goodies, use a reduced amount of natural sweetener other than sugar. Eventually this may become a greatly reduced amount of sweetener. Honey is actually sweeter than table sugar, but healthier. I used to enjoy honey and maple syrup once in awhile but now a container may last for years. They still taste good but the sweetness is quite overpowering. A little bit of these goes along way.

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM

5,244 posts, read 6,458,707 times
Pretty much the only sugar I eat is fruit, and I don't even eat much of that. I don't eat grains or dairy either. Cravings were tough at first, but they do go away. I find I eat a lot less now, and not because I'm trying to limit how much I eat. I don't. I'm just not hungry. I feel better than I ever have and an healthier than I've ever been. On the rare occasion that I do eat a small amount of sugar, I feel awful. I really don't even miss it any more.

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

5,498 posts, read 3,929,458 times
Baking is my sugar downfall.

I used to bake, but I rarely bake any more because I know I'll eat it.

I sliced away at cake or squares with a knife, evening up the edges until it was just about gone, nibbled on cookies one at a time, even if they were frozen. Ruined butter tarts while taking them out of the tins on purpose so I could eat them before they hit a storage container (they are my FAVORITE sugary treat)

It wasn't bad eating baking when I was younger. Riding my horse 3-4x week gave me lots of exercise, but now it's hard to lose one pound.

Do I feel awful after eating sugar? Heck no, only my guilty conscience in knowing that it will just put weight on.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

18,962 posts, read 18,063,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Baking is my sugar downfall.

I used to bake, but I rarely bake any more because I know I'll eat it.

I sliced away at cake or squares with a knife, evening up the edges until it was just about gone, nibbled on cookies one at a time, even if they were frozen. Ruined butter tarts while taking them out of the tins on purpose so I could eat them before they hit a storage container (they are my FAVORITE sugary treat)

It wasn't bad eating baking when I was younger. Riding my horse 3-4x week gave me lots of exercise, but now it's hard to lose one pound.

Do I feel awful after eating sugar? Heck no, only my guilty conscience in knowing that it will just put weight on.
I used to like to bake too. I stopped for the same reason: I would eat all of it. Now I bake something maybe once a year and it will be for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Hubby wants sweets all the time and I said I'd make him some gingerbread, but who would eat most of it? Me! I'd probably drink half the bottle of molasses too!

But I haven't had any sugar since Friday night at the event with the cookies on a plate. That made me want more sugar. Any time I have sugar I want more. Tonight I made popcorn and I don't feel any craving for sugar, thank goodness.

Old Yesterday, 09:55 PM

8,192 posts, read 2,622,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
When I cut back on carbs (refined sugars specifically and simple carbs generally) a few years ago, I noticed that it took about two weeks for me to stop missing the sweetness of the sugars. After that period of time, it was much easier. And now, sweet stuff just doesn't taste very good.

Perhaps knowing this will be helpful. Good luck, it's a worthy goal.
If you eliminate as much salt as possible from your diet, you will go through a similar period of a couple of weeks, to adjust your taste and your body to the reduced level. You will also lose a few pounds of liquid that were retained, in your system's effort to dilute the salt concentration. This also happens when your simple sugar intake is reduced, as it is a harsh irritant in your bloodstream. Regular use of ibuprofen will cause your body to retain extra liquid, as well.

Old Yesterday, 11:37 PM

336 posts, read 310,202 times
That's interesting Steve. So the solution is to drink more water, right? I'm trying to do that too. I can't use salt either. I'm just praying the day comes soon when all these changes to my diet (no added salt or sugar, more water) show up on the scale. I do feel better, with more energy and better sleep.
Here's an easy smoothie recipe, with no added sugar:
Blend one frozen banana, one quarter cup nut butter (with no added sugar or salt), one cup milk, a few ice cubes, a dash of vanilla extract, and one or two tablespoons of cocoa powder. Serves two.

Old Today, 09:52 AM

10,509 posts, read 9,786,355 times
Sweet things are my vice. We all have our vices.

I've found control by allowing myself to go totally off the rails once a week, including sugar. My other days are pretty structured. I've willed myself to eat small sugary snacks that aren't more than 150 calories. I have to have my daily dessert, so I treat myself with a frozen ice cream novelty. Nowadays I'm eating Enlightened, but before that it was skinny cow ice cream cones. Eating those small treats satisfied and prevented the sugar bingeing. Elimination only made me binge. AS in I'd be good for a bit, but then I'd obsess about sugar, and then I'd act on it - consuming far more than a small candy bar. My solution is to give myself what I want but in controlled amounts. This all depends on your individual tendencies of course...

Old Today, 10:47 AM

5,498 posts, read 3,929,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I used to like to bake too. I stopped for the same reason: I would eat all of it. Now I bake something maybe once a year and it will be for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Hubby wants sweets all the time and I said I'd make him some gingerbread, but who would eat most of it? Me! I'd probably drink half the bottle of molasses too!

But I haven't had any sugar since Friday night at the event with the cookies on a plate. That made me want more sugar. Any time I have sugar I want more. Tonight I made popcorn and I don't feel any craving for sugar, thank goodness.
Yup! Mine asks for banana bread once in a while, but when I make him one, he eats it agonizingly slow, like one slice a day. Sometimes I swear he's acting anorexic in how he can control himself to one slice/day and without BUTTER! He's not anorexic, but he's got so much control, I'm very jealous. He's about the same size he was when I married him in 1978 (sure wish I was! )

Meanwhile the damned thing is sitting on the counter daring me to hack off a slab and woof her down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness