U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2019, 08:44 PM
 
1,040 posts, read 1,921,174 times
Reputation: 953

Advertisements

Anyone else dealing with this habit? I know too much sugar is bad for you. Dont know how bad though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2019, 09:11 PM
 
Location: Southern California
21,547 posts, read 7,281,408 times
Reputation: 14304
Trying is not enough, doing is what counts.

Off the top of my head "why sugar is bad for you"...

Dental issues, more and more trips to the dentist.

Cancer cells love sugar, been reading this for years.

Diabetes just about epidemic in our country.

High Blood Pressure, now there is info coming out that it's really sugars and not salt
so much for the cause of HBP. I don't know if anyone knows this Truth.

Arthritic issues, sugar attacks the joints. I believe that is a big part of the OA I live with.

I'm sure there are more but that's a start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:10 AM
 
589 posts, read 175,990 times
Reputation: 1240
I did this. I started with candy cars. Because who really needs a candy bar? There's no actual purpose to them (except that they taste good). I eventually cut out cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. as well. And finally artificial sugars.

Now my only exceptions tend to be our family annual chocolate fondue adventure, a small amount of maple syrup on pancakes, and something I've never tried before (like the dark chocolate oreo I ate last week). Oh and an occasional diet coke, plus my daily stevia sweetened protein smoothie.

Oh, and I do eat natural sugars like fruit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
15,023 posts, read 12,088,413 times
Reputation: 21603
Yes eating fruit with natural yogurt and honey is a great way for sugar cravings but good for you too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:43 AM
 
995 posts, read 443,941 times
Reputation: 3673
When I cut back on carbs (refined sugars specifically and simple carbs generally) a few years ago, I noticed that it took about two weeks for me to stop missing the sweetness of the sugars. After that period of time, it was much easier. And now, sweet stuff just doesn't taste very good.


Perhaps knowing this will be helpful. Good luck, it's a worthy goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,498 posts, read 3,929,458 times
Reputation: 14596
Tip for sugar cravings and those who like chocolate:

In a small pot, melt 1 tsp butter or margarine on low, add 3 squares of unsweetened chocolate until melted. Add 1/2 cup of nuts of your choice (I like almond pieces). Add 1 or 2 packets (to taste) of artificial sweetener of your choice and stir it all together.

Lay wax paper or parchment paper on a cookie sheet, immediately spread the chocolate mixture out and pop it in your freezer. Once frozen, break it up into bites and store these in your freezer in a plastic food grade container with a lid. Eat one or two pieces when the sugar and chocolate cravings start.

They are very satisfying for low carb, no sugar diets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Orlando
1,908 posts, read 2,525,616 times
Reputation: 7068
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Tip for sugar cravings and those who like chocolate:

In a small pot, melt 1 tsp butter or margarine on low, add 3 squares of unsweetened chocolate until melted. Add 1/2 cup of nuts of your choice (I like almond pieces). Add 1 or 2 packets (to taste) of artificial sweetener of your choice and stir it all together.

Lay wax paper or parchment paper on a cookie sheet, immediately spread the chocolate mixture out and pop it in your freezer. Once frozen, break it up into bites and store these in your freezer in a plastic food grade container with a lid. Eat one or two pieces when the sugar and chocolate cravings start.

They are very satisfying for low carb, no sugar diets.
The bolded is a problem for me. I am a complete sugar addict, and I can't eat just one or two pieces. If there's something sweet in my house, I will eat all of it until it's gone.

I know I have to stop eating sugar, but it's just so HARD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
53,608 posts, read 52,646,826 times
Reputation: 63085
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
The bolded is a problem for me. I am a complete sugar addict, and I can't eat just one or two pieces. If there's something sweet in my house, I will eat all of it until it's gone.

I know I have to stop eating sugar, but it's just so HARD.
Her recipe called for the "artificial sweetener of your choice", though. NONE of them are my choice, lol. I don't eat that stuff.

It is hard, and it is addicting because when you a) taste sugar on your tongue and then b) it hits your bloodstream, it makes you feel good. For a short time. Then you need more.

Somebody on here once said, "Remember, folks, sugar is just another crystalline substance made from a tropical plant. Made me say "Hmmm".

I had to get serious about this last year because my blood sugar was nearing diabetic levels. For me, that meant I had to stop eating ice cream first and foremost. I started checking sugar level in everything. After six months, I lost 24 pounds and got my A1C back to the normal range.

I can't buy something like a bag of M&Ms and just eat a few, either. Candy corn crack at Halloween? I will eat it until I feel sick.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
 
589 posts, read 175,990 times
Reputation: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
The bolded is a problem for me. I am a complete sugar addict, and I can't eat just one or two pieces. If there's something sweet in my house, I will eat all of it until it's gone.

I know I have to stop eating sugar, but it's just so HARD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
<snip>
I can't buy something like a bag of M&Ms and just eat a few, either. Candy corn crack at Halloween? I will eat it until I feel sick.
I get these statements! OMGoodness do I get them! This is exactly why I had to give it up. It's been years though. And I'm generally okay with fruit. I even eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich regularly, I just found a 'no added sugar' jelly and keep the amount minimal.

It works for me. Now. But the beginning was really, really hard! It took me 6 months to stop craving sugar. It should only take 2-3 weeks, but I kept allowing myself 'special exceptions' which, in retrospect, were probably every 2-3 weeks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Southern California
21,547 posts, read 7,281,408 times
Reputation: 14304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy_C View Post
I did this. I started with candy cars. Because who really needs a candy bar? There's no actual purpose to them (except that they taste good). I eventually cut out cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. as well. And finally artificial sugars.

Now my only exceptions tend to be our family annual chocolate fondue adventure, a small amount of maple syrup on pancakes, and something I've never tried before (like the dark chocolate oreo I ate last week). Oh and an occasional diet coke, plus my daily stevia sweetened protein smoothie.

Oh, and I do eat natural sugars like fruit, etc.
I started with the candy bars at register check outs in market etc...they have a huge bunch of candy to entice you as one is checking out. I started to "wake up" probably 10 yrs ago.. I don't need that "S".... then it went from there...

I'm enjoying a Whole Foods special trail mix with tiny peanut butter cups mixed with the nuts and raisins and just enough sweet and salty.

I've paid dentists for years and don't want to do that anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top