U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,430,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
For the next 30 years is a long time. Have you ever considered getting a dog? I am a single woman and I run or hike alone... with my dog. (120 pound Rottweiler) He was trained to protect me by a guy who trains police dogs. If I tell my dog to “watch” him/her, he will stand between us and hold his ground while I walk away. He won’t allow them to walk in my direction. Once I am a safe distance away I just call him and he returns to my side. If I am walking and someone is coming from the opposite direction he will make sure that he is between us when we pass one another. He not only keeps me safe, but he’s a great hiking companion. He never gets tired or bored.
That isn’t the only issue with hiking alone. You could twist your ankle, get lost, run out of water/supplies. The dog is not going to be able to help you in those situations. I do plenty of hiking meetups (they are in most cities) and there are lots of people who join who have spouses who can’t hike with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM

419 posts, read 277,925 times
Thanks everyone. I don't think it is so much for my safety as not wanting to accept his limits. We only do shorter moderate hikes so there are always other people hiking also.
It isn't that I don't want him to hike with me but it causes him severe pain and he sometimes cannot go on or back. ��
It has happened on hikes with inclines and on flat walks around block. In the past I have been content to read a book or just enjoy the scenery if he wanted to go further than me. I have recommended that to him as well but he insists on going with me but suffers later. He will admit he probably should not have went etc...

Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM

23,911 posts, read 22,893,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
He may need a hiking stick. Those actually look pretty cool like someone's who's prepared to trek a long distance (even if he's not). The only other thing I can think of is to wear some kind of brace to protect the back or do some preparation walking for several weeks before the trip.
Those are good ideas. Maybe some different shoes or boots. I once bought a nice pair of 3 season hiking boots which I thought would be wonderful for my intermittent hip and knee pain. They weren't. They refused to make friends with my feet, and my other body parts deliberately shunned them.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

3,599 posts, read 2,557,190 times
I love hiking in the mountains and I always go by myself. This just isn't my husband's thing. The few times we went together, he wanted to sit down and rest about 20 minutes in. I'll go for hours.

We talked about it and we agreed that this is just something we won't do together. I can't give it up, it refreshes my soul. He's rather do something else, which is fine with me.

OP, I wish you lived in a place where you could hike every day like I do. You need to talk with your husband and get him to understand that this really brings you joy and that it's okay to do things separately. Even on our vacations, sometimes I'll spend the day at the beach alone while my husband traipses through museums. We're okay with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or