U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 03:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 828,391 times

Advertisements

In a few days I will be 64 and I have been dealing with bulging discs since 1990. I wonít go into all the treatments Iíve had since then, but a short list includes spinal injections 3 times, 15 total months of rehab/therapy/exercise training, more Dr. visits than I can count,electrical stimulus, and the list goes on.
What I have not had is surgery. I must canít bring myself to risk it after speaking with so many who have had it and are worse off because of it. I had a surgeon tell me he could reduce my back pain but wouldnít guarantee he could eliminate the sciatica. No deal.
I have learned to live with the pain, which is nearly constant. I take no meds except for Advil, which takes the edge off for a couple of hours. My quality of life is poor as I have no back strength to speak of and the sciatica renders me nearly immobile most days. I wouldnít wish this on anyone, and I am tired after nearly 30 years of the constant pain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 04:25 PM

452 posts, read 912,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbseer View Post
I am 67, MRI and x-ray shows I have spinal stenosis, scoliosis, probably spinal arthritis too. Degenerative spondylolistesis at L4-L5,resulting in pinched nerve and pain when standing or walking. A very well regarded orthopedic surgeon rejected my suggestion of a minimally-invasive laminectomy, saying since 2 discs were involved, fusion and a more expansive procedure would be needed, and he didn't think the results would be all that good.

I had an injection, did nothing. Various stretching, nothing. I guess since it doesn't hurt when sleeping on my side or sitting, I should just accept the pain when standing or walking? For the rest of my life

People see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear. I've had three back fusions, and two cervical fusions. When the pain became significant, for me it's off to surgery. I go to Johns Hopkins and find that a really good doctor combined with a good hospital makes all the difference in the world.

All of my surgeries have been successful, and I have well over 35 surgeries. I don't feel like saying the actual number as I would seem to be crazy, which I am not. Crazy is being in pain for way too long, putting off surgery and suffering in the meantime.

Old Today, 05:25 PM

52 posts, read 20,094 times
I am 65 and have had low back pain for 40 years but I've never had surgery. I recommend that you read Back Mechanic by Dr.Stuart McGill before getting any surgery. It's the best book on back pain I've ever read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or