Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 09:54 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
My initial reaction was there must have been a time issue. The doctor couldn't get to the patient in time to give the news personally, and he didn't want someone else to do it. You can still give a personal touch over a video link, even if you aren't physically in a room. I think it would have been colder to send someone else to tell the patient.
No, you misunderstand.

There is no geographical proximity issue today with medical care. If you go in for a CT scan today it will be read by someone who could be 3,000 miles away. Radiologists? Who needs a lot of radiologists on staff any more when you can pay a freelancer to interpret a scan?

That doctor on the telepresence robot screen could have been anywhere in California. That's WHY they use robots.

As I said in the beginning, this is the inevitable consequence of belonging to an HMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 05:39 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
The patient and his family had been told many times by many doctors in his actual presence that his condition was terminal. This was not new news to them. I think the family was just hoping that this other doctor would tell them something different than everyone else and were upset when he didn't. They are looking for someone to be angry at.
That. I think that's exactly it. They're trying to kill the messenger. Which, really, I can empathize with in their pain.

But he's not the cause of their pain.

I had a conversation with my doc while we were waiting for some lab results, and he said people more and more want impersonal service providers. More and more, we order online so we don't have to shop, email or text so we don't have to talk, drop and pick up items on our friend's doorsteps so we don't have to interact with a family member who might open the door, get our airline gate passes from a machine.

Except doctors. Doctors are it. We expect them to take a lot of personal time with us, to deliver bad news in person, and in fact, be as empathetic and emotional as a dear friend or family member would be when the news is bad.

And those doctors who are good at that are much more insulated from lawsuits than doctors who don't emote well.

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness