U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:07 AM

20,206 posts, read 11,028,732 times

Advertisements

I'm not great at maintaining a regular exercise routine (I tend to go in fits and spurts) but when I've been referred to PT for rehab after surgery or an injury, I am always EXTREMELY diligent about it and I've always gotten very good result, often better than the surgeon even predicted.

Don't try to cut corners - do the exercises fully, and do however many times they tell you, although at least to start with, don't exceed that. At some point, they will likely tell you to do a minimum amount and that you can do more if you are comfortable doing more so at that point, add in some extras when you can.

If something does hurt - and there's a difference between painful and uncomfortable, esp. if it's about using muscles that aren't used to being worked - make sure to go over the exercise again with the PT, to make sure you are doing it correctly. Sometimes just a small adjustment to your posture or the way you move takes care of the pain and gets you the maximum value from that exercise.

Back in the old days, people used to go to PT multiple times a week, and do their assigned exercises under supervision. Now it's once a week or even once every two weeks, so try to maximize the sessions you have. Write down any questions you have, and then write down the answers you get when you ask them. If you feel uncertain whether you are doing something correctly (even if it doesn't hurt), ask them to watch you to make sure you are doing it correctly, they will often not go back over the things they assigned the previous session and just say to keep doing them, add additional reps, etc and then show you new things, but they will review the old stuff if you ask. If you are making any adjustments - doing something on a bed instead of getting up and down off the floor, make sure that you are still getting the benefit of that exercise and that they don't need to adjust it or switch it to something else that you don't have to be on the floor to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 09:09 AM

24,355 posts, read 4,975,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I went to my first physical therapy session today. They mostly did evaluations and sent me home with exercises to do. I say “they” because I have two therapists, one of which is a “doctoral intern”—if I understood what he told me.

So, these two young guys were poking and prodding, and having me move my legs around. They tell me I have tightness in my lower back, and I believe one of the vertibra is out of line.

Apparently my leg pain is referred pain, which is caused by my arthritic back, and the out of line vertibra.

So far nothing they had me do hurt, except for one exercise which oddly enough hurt my shoulder.

Am I just a walking mess, or what? Bad knees, bad back, bad shoulder!

I go back next week. I don’t know whether to dread the next session or not.

PT is not meant to hurt you....there might be times of discomfort but should you actually hurt, discontinue the exercise. No one is going to push you when it's painful....just be sure to tell them, don't suffer through a painful appt.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:55 AM

12,861 posts, read 8,119,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
PT and chiropractic are not the same thing and what a PT does is not "under the chiropractors area"

Chiropractic care by and large is nonsense and the fact that you have been "using chiropractors for 30 years" points out one of the main differences between PT and chiropractors......PT's actually fix a problem.....you don't hear about people using PT for 30 years....

https://cityparkpt.com/pt-vs-chiropractic/

OP no need to dread the PT you are in the right place to treat your issues, avoid the chiropractors....
Symptoms described are the sorts of things chiropractors address.
Chiropractic has kept me pain free and active. I had severe neck and back problems when I was about 40. That was 35 years ago, and I still go about 4-5 times a year.
The BIG thing is that I avoided surgery. Not everyone is that lucky.
Wife's neurosurgeon (she has spondylolisthesis) advised her to use a chiropractor as an alternative to surgery, so not everyone agrees with you.

Old 03-13-2019, 01:31 PM

20,677 posts, read 13,563,777 times
I have used chiropractic in the past. It was helpful at a time when I could not get into orthopedist in a timely way. And, I was asked if I had used chiropractic by one of the PTs.

I was assigned PT by the practice.

I have visited ortho in the past. This year I had to visit the doc because of new pain in my upper leg.

I thought posting about my experience with physical therapy would be of interest to some.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:04 PM

2,258 posts, read 834,264 times
"Am I just a walking mess, or what?"

or what.
old punchline.

good news: you are WALKING.

Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 PM

86,131 posts, read 101,086,907 times
Quote:
I have used chiropractic in the past. It was helpful at a time when I could not get into orthopedist in a timely way. And, I was asked if I had used chiropractic by one of the PTs.

I have visited ortho in the past. This year I had to visit the doc because of new pain in my upper leg.

I thought posting about my experience with physical therapy would be of interest to some.
It's of interest to me. I have a daughter who is a PT. I agree with both bluedevilz about chiropractors always keeping you coming back, and with emm74 about doing what the PT recommends. When I had my hip replacement, I decided I put too much into that surgery to not follow up with the PT. My PT said she could tell I was doing my exercises.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 AM

483 posts, read 160,343 times
I went through physical therapy four times over the years. The first was after going through sudden menopause and having "fibromyalgia like" symptoms that deeply affected my ability to function. I did twelve sessions back then and was introduced to a fitness center, which practically erased the pain in my body.

My second time was after a pelvic injury when I was hit on my bike by a vehicle pulling out of a driveway and not stopping and looking first. I did three months of PT then and it was incredibly helpful.

Third time was just a few sessions for low back strain from overdoing it.

I just completed six sessions of PT in Jan/Feb for left tibia stress fracture, stress reaction in right foot metatarsal, and shoulder strain all from overuse injuries related to LOTS of ballet/modern dance training in addition to my regular exercise routines. I was fortunate to have a physical therapist (doctorate degree) who is also a dancer/choreographer, dance instructor, and is the official physical therapist for a local ballet company (who's school I take classes under). I found it very helpful. I was given not only dance and injury specific exercises to do, but we did tissue mobilization, periodic assessments of strength, and I was given lots of tips and help in regards to dealing with pain, use of ice/heat, compression etc. We also worked closely with orthopedics.

Though I am finished with PT, I still do the exercises I was given and am still working slowly back up to the exercise routine I had before, but with modifications and a new approach so I don't end up with the same issues. It's hard work and takes work and diligence on the patient's part. You only get out of it what you put into it. Ask lots of questions while you can!

Years ago i went to a chiropractor for the pelvic injury first before PT, and the guy was a total quack. I have low bone density (which he dismissed as not serious because I was "too young" to worry about that) and I warned him I did NOT want my back cracked. The first few sessions were ok, annoying though because he kept trying to sell me a bunch of useless supplements. But the third session, he was manipulating my body from behind and not explaining what he was doing, and it all happened so fast. He suddenly jerked up on my chest and cracked my back. The pain was horrific and I screamed and then sobbed. My breath was taken away for a few seconds. The coward walked out and had a nurse come in and check on me. I walked (more like crawled hunched over) out of there angry as all hell and never went back. Turns out this guy already had a record of at least one lawsuit against him. I am VERY lucky he didn't permanently damage my back but it took weeks to recover from the pain he caused it by doing that. I will never never go to a chiropractor again. And never allow anyone to do anything to me without a full explanation first.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:28 AM

6,394 posts, read 3,634,058 times
Quote:
I was referred by an orthopedist after my MRI.

BTW how did the MRI go?

I was helped a lot by PT, but my issue was balance, not pain. My neighbor got a lot of pain relief and increased range of motion in her shoulder from her PT. It lasted almost 3 months and now she is off any pain meds.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 AM

1,368 posts, read 420,306 times
Quote:

I found the recommended physical therapy exercises I did for my back were quite helpful at times when I was suffering with it. Eventually it got so bad I gave in and had surgery. It is still amazing to me to no longer have that severe nerve pain in my lower back. To be most effective, you have to do the exercises correctly and consistently. Too many of us do some, then feel good enough to skip them and we just end up cycling back and forth instead of maintaining good tone.

However.......I am having problems with the muscles in my lower back, hips and legs when I try to do much walking. More than 1/2 mile and muscles in my hips start to sting and burn. Legs still ache most of the time and still have numbness. Since I had the surgery about a year ago, it’s beginning to look like the numbness will be permanent. I know I waited too long to have surgery but, it is what it is. I’ll be seeing my regular doc in a few weeks for a routine checkup and I’ll see what path he recommends.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:37 AM

20,677 posts, read 13,563,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"Am I just a walking mess, or what?"

or what.
old punchline.

good news: you are WALKING.
You hit the nail on the head. I am upright and walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or