U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM

20,678 posts, read 13,563,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
BTW how did the MRI go?

I was helped a lot by PT, but my issue was balance, not pain. My neighbor got a lot of pain relief and increased range of motion in her shoulder from her PT. It lasted almost 3 months and now she is off any pain meds.
I got through it fine. One valium had me experiencing it with no anxiety. If I ever have to do it again, I should not need it again.

The valium made me really tired later.

The MRI indicated that my spine was not “that bad” according to the doc I later saw. So, I do have arthritis in the lower lumbar, and there is scoliosis, but I am given to understand that this is not too serious. However, I still have pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I found the recommended physical therapy exercises I did for my back were quite helpful at times when I was suffering with it. Eventually it got so bad I gave in and had surgery. It is still amazing to me to no longer have that severe nerve pain in my lower back. To be most effective, you have to do the exercises correctly and consistently. Too many of us do some, then feel good enough to skip them and we just end up cycling back and forth instead of maintaining good tone.

However.......I am having problems with the muscles in my lower back, hips and legs when I try to do much walking. More than 1/2 mile and muscles in my hips start to sting and burn. Legs still ache most of the time and still have numbness. Since I had the surgery about a year ago, itís beginning to look like the numbness will be permanent. I know I waited too long to have surgery but, it is what it is. Iíll be seeing my regular doc in a few weeks for a routine checkup and Iíll see what path he recommends.
Good luck!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I went through physical therapy four times over the years. The first was after going through sudden menopause and having "fibromyalgia like" symptoms that deeply affected my ability to function. I did twelve sessions back then and was introduced to a fitness center, which practically erased the pain in my body.

My second time was after a pelvic injury when I was hit on my bike by a vehicle pulling out of a driveway and not stopping and looking first. I did three months of PT then and it was incredibly helpful.

Third time was just a few sessions for low back strain from overdoing it.

I just completed six sessions of PT in Jan/Feb for left tibia stress fracture, stress reaction in right foot metatarsal, and shoulder strain all from overuse injuries related to LOTS of ballet/modern dance training in addition to my regular exercise routines. I was fortunate to have a physical therapist (doctorate degree) who is also a dancer/choreographer, dance instructor, and is the official physical therapist for a local ballet company (who's school I take classes under). I found it very helpful. I was given not only dance and injury specific exercises to do, but we did tissue mobilization, periodic assessments of strength, and I was given lots of tips and help in regards to dealing with pain, use of ice/heat, compression etc. We also worked closely with orthopedics.

Though I am finished with PT, I still do the exercises I was given and am still working slowly back up to the exercise routine I had before, but with modifications and a new approach so I don't end up with the same issues. It's hard work and takes work and diligence on the patient's part. You only get out of it what you put into it. Ask lots of questions while you can!

Years ago i went to a chiropractor for the pelvic injury first before PT, and the guy was a total quack. I have low bone density (which he dismissed as not serious because I was "too young" to worry about that) and I warned him I did NOT want my back cracked. The first few sessions were ok, annoying though because he kept trying to sell me a bunch of useless supplements. But the third session, he was manipulating my body from behind and not explaining what he was doing, and it all happened so fast. He suddenly jerked up on my chest and cracked my back. The pain was horrific and I screamed and then sobbed. My breath was taken away for a few seconds. The coward walked out and had a nurse come in and check on me. I walked (more like crawled hunched over) out of there angry as all hell and never went back. Turns out this guy already had a record of at least one lawsuit against him. I am VERY lucky he didn't permanently damage my back but it took weeks to recover from the pain he caused it by doing that. I will never never go to a chiropractor again. And never allow anyone to do anything to me without a full explanation first.
Your experience sounds awful.

My chiropractic experience was much more benign. She did adjustments that helped my sciatica, and later made periodic adjustments. I was never pressured, and I had a lot of input about my treatment.

But I donít blame you for not ever visiting a chiro again.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:10 PM

6,394 posts, read 3,634,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I got through it fine. One valium had me experiencing it with no anxiety. If I ever have to do it again, I should not need it again.

The valium made me really tired later.

The MRI indicated that my spine was not ďthat badĒ according to the doc I later saw. So, I do have arthritis in the lower lumbar, and there is scoliosis, but I am given to understand that this is not too serious. However, I still have pain.

I hope everything you're doing helps! These are the kind of problems that can REALLY curtail your enjoyment of life life!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:58 PM

Five days in, doing 4 exercises twice a day, and I still have pain. Actually, I have had a LOT of pain.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:13 PM

24,355 posts, read 4,975,116 times
Quote:
Five days in, doing 4 exercises twice a day, and I still have pain. Actually, I have had a LOT of pain.

Is the pain during or after exercises?? If during, discuss with your therapist. Discomfort yes, pain is too much, IMMO. You don't have to do really painful exercises. It's your body so you decide....just don't quit the program.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:17 AM

7 days in; I revisit tomorrow. Much of the pain—not discomfort—has remitted. I feel better this morning.

I am having problems finding ways to get in the morning exercises. I will do a set a little later this morning, but decided not to do my regular gym visit.

One of the exercises still gives me trouble, but the others seem easier to do. One of them especially feels very beneficial. The exercises are basically stretches.

The original pain that took me to the doctor is slightly better.

Luckily my knees are not talking to me, so there is that.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:21 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,090,104 times
Quote:

I am having problems finding ways to get in the morning exercises. I will do a set a little later this morning, but decided not to do my regular gym visit.
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.

If you try and think of doing the exercises as part of your "new normal", it helps. And strive to do them in addition to your existing exercise routine. Yes, it adds time to the routine, but if you do it for a few weeks, it gets easier. I did PT last Fall as a first intervention for a disc herniation I have, and although the PT did not correct the problem and I continue to have pain, I've stuck with the exercises ever since. I believe it's gotten me stronger than I had been before, even though I have always exercised at the gym and have always been in good shape. My core strength and flexibility are much better now and I think I'm in a much better position to prevent future problems and/or recover from surgery (in the event I need it).

Old 03-18-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better.

If you try and think of doing the exercises as part of your "new normal", it helps. And strive to do them in addition to your existing exercise routine. Yes, it adds time to the routine, but if you do it for a few weeks, it gets easier. I did PT last Fall as a first intervention for a disc herniation I have, and although the PT did not correct the problem and I continue to have pain, I've stuck with the exercises ever since. I believe it's gotten me stronger than I had been before, even though I have always exercised at the gym and have always been in good shape. My core strength and flexibility are much better now and I think I'm in a much better position to prevent future problems and/or recover from surgery (in the event I need it).
My problem with doing both a gym visit and the exercises is energy, and scheduling. I have never been a high energy person, and as Iíve gotten older this has gotten worse. I know exercise is supposed to energize one, but it tends to tire me. However, what Iím doing in the gym is important to me, and I want to continue. I have to adjust to doing both three days a week, but doing this will be hard.

I think the stretching exercises will improve my core. They seem to have made my lower back more comfortable. I am certainly not giving up.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:13 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,090,104 times
Quote:
My problem with doing both a gym visit and the exercises is energy, and scheduling. I have never been a high energy person, and as I’ve gotten older this has gotten worse. I know exercise is supposed to energize one, but it tends to tire me. However, what I’m doing in the gym is important to me, and I want to continue. I have to adjust to doing both three days a week, but doing this will be hard.

I think the stretching exercises will improve my core. They seem to have made my lower back more comfortable. I am certainly not giving up.
You can only do what works for you. If it becomes too much of a chore, you'll find reasons to avoid it. So, if you can find that balance for yourself, that's great. For me, the exercise does energize me and once those endorphins start kicking in, it cuts down on my pain. It's also a big emotional issue for me. I've put in a lot of time and effort over the past 20 years into being fit. I'm not about to give that up now because of these back problems....at least, not as long as I can avoid it.

I agree about the stretching and warming up, and I really wish I had been more diligent with this in the past. My home routine is about 40 minutes long and I start out with stretching, then core work (primarily planks, side planks and push ups while balancing on an exercise ball), then I move into lower body stuff working abductors, adductors, glutes, hamstrings, and quads. Sometimes, I do that stuff at the gym instead. I've been pleasantly surprised at how effective doing it at home has been, using just a yoga mat, 65 cm exercise ball, a couple bands and 5 lb and 10 lb weights.

When I'm at the gym, I do Elliptical for cardio (I've never been a runner or done anything high impact, so I didn't have to give that up) and I lift for upper body strength. I'm very careful about my form and had the PT take a look at everything I was doing to make sure I wasn't doing anything overtly wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or