U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:54 PM

20,626 posts, read 13,526,935 times

Advertisements

I went to my first physical therapy session today. They mostly did evaluations and sent me home with exercises to do. I say “they” because I have two therapists, one of which is a “doctoral intern”—if I understood what he told me.

So, these two young guys were poking and prodding, and having me move my legs around. They tell me I have tightness in my lower back, and I believe one of the vertibra is out of line.

Apparently my leg pain is referred pain, which is caused by my arthritic back, and the out of line vertibra.

So far nothing they had me do hurt, except for one exercise which oddly enough hurt my shoulder.

Am I just a walking mess, or what? Bad knees, bad back, bad shoulder!

I go back next week. I don’t know whether to dread the next session or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 PM

8,721 posts, read 5,890,187 times
First visit is usually an evaluation.

Do the exercises and go to your next appointment

Old 03-12-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
First visit is usually an evaluation.

Do the exercises and go to your next appointment
Well, I intend to.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:57 PM

7,598 posts, read 7,009,536 times

Old 03-12-2019, 10:06 PM

12,823 posts, read 8,095,524 times
In our state you must be referred to a PT by a doctor. So pardon my confusion, but why are you at the PT?
Some of what you describe is solidly under the chiropractor's area. I use chiropractors and have for 30 years, but I understand that a lot of people feel differently about them. If you are open to it, I would encourage you to visit one. Get someone who is using one to recommend him. There is no pain associated with chiropractic service.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 PM

I was referred by an orthopedist after my MRI.

Old 03-12-2019, 11:50 PM

4,880 posts, read 10,797,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In our state you must be referred to a PT by a doctor. So pardon my confusion, but why are you at the PT?
Some of what you describe is solidly under the chiropractor's area. I use chiropractors and have for 30 years, but I understand that a lot of people feel differently about them. If you are open to it, I would encourage you to visit one. Get someone who is using one to recommend him. There is no pain associated with chiropractic service.
PT and chiropractic are not the same thing and what a PT does is not "under the chiropractors area"

Chiropractic care by and large is nonsense and the fact that you have been "using chiropractors for 30 years" points out one of the main differences between PT and chiropractors......PT's actually fix a problem.....you don't hear about people using PT for 30 years....

https://cityparkpt.com/pt-vs-chiropractic/

OP no need to dread the PT you are in the right place to treat your issues, avoid the chiropractors....

Old 03-13-2019, 05:19 AM

5,325 posts, read 1,803,010 times
I've had PT that was helpful and PT that was not.

Try to get a PT that is affiliated with sports medicine. Same for chiro. They are of the mindset in getting people better, they don't drag out the therapy.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM

4,928 posts, read 6,111,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post

I've had the exact same kind of treatments at both a PT and a chiropractor. Of course, the PT will not do spine manipulations, which is strictly a chiropractic treatment.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:55 AM

7,598 posts, read 7,009,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
They tell me I have tightness in my lower back, and I believe one of the vertibra is out of line.

Apparently my leg pain is referred pain, which is caused by my arthritic back, and the out of line vertibra.
You might need someone at home to help go through the exercises if it's too stiff/tight. Pulling the two legs up to the chest would be a candidate for assisted stretching. There are actually assisted stretching studios opening up to do just that. Another suggestion would be to apply a heating pad or take a hot bath or shower before the stretching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or