U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 06:44 PM

17,256 posts, read 10,598,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Know anyone who had a heart attack before age 50? Was it due to a heart defect or a lifestyle factor?

I had mine at 42. When I was laying on the emergency room table, the Doctor asked "Do you smoke ?" NOPE. "Do you drink heavily ?" NOPE. " Then I told him my own dad died at 48 with a heart attack, and he said "Bingo !" Heredity got me.

So, I have made it to 73 and outlived my dad by a long ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 06:48 PM

4,921 posts, read 2,077,081 times
Me. Female. 3 MIs at Age 36. 38 & 42. (Now 46) Not overweight, athletic, non diabetic.

Found blockages that were previously unknown. Zero prior issues or factors that might cause it...Had a grandfather drop at work from heart disease at 40 so probably hereditary although they screened my mother and her brothers...none of them have heart disease.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:51 PM

4,921 posts, read 2,077,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I had mine at 42. When I was laying on the emergency room table, the Doctor asked "Do you smoke ?" NOPE. "Do you drink heavily ?" NOPE. " Then I told him my own dad died at 48 with a heart attack, and he said "Bingo !" Heredity got me.

So, I have made it to 73 and outlived my dad by a long ways.
Hey there hereditary MI friend!

Old 03-13-2019, 07:42 PM

22,266 posts, read 27,267,252 times
Not before 50, but soon after. Male cousin died at 51 after having a stent put in. Another cousin has had bypass surgery but I do not remember exactly how old he was. He would probably have died if his wife - a nurse - had not insisted that he go to the ER.

There is an awful history of cardiovascular disease in that branch of my family.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:51 PM

2,045 posts, read 821,985 times
I had a widow maker at 45. My surgeon told me mine was 80% hereditary and 20% sedentary.
While I was in rehab I met a guy who was just 32 and had a bad heart attack. Heart disease stopped being a disease of old people a long time ago.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:26 PM

3,002 posts, read 1,157,728 times
Brother-in-law at 33. His father died of a heart attack at 33. So genetics, but he's now 58 and still ticking.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 PM

316 posts, read 90,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
My stepfather died of a heart attack when he was 47. He was not overweight at all, but he was a smoker. Autopsy showed no heart defects. It was all lifestyle related - officially arteriosclerosis. No family history of heart attack or disease. Smoking killed him.
I know someone who died at 50 of a heart attack. He never drank, smoked, and was slender. However he seemed to work way too much. He worked at home on complex hobbies after he came home from work. He seemed to approach most things with passion and intensity and pushed himself severely.

Today, I encounter those whether it's on the commute or in the office who are similarly intense. The other day a man yelled at me, used his car to harass me and implied I was crazy simply for trying to merge from a highway onramp. (And yes I did have my signal light on) He asked "what the hell are you doing?! Are you crazy???!!" Wow. I believe this overreaction to a normal process of commuting to and from work can and obviously does push people over the limit. They seem to be the people crashing and burning at younger than normal ages.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:41 PM

5,593 posts, read 1,815,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Know anyone who had a heart attack before age 50? Was it due to a heart defect or a lifestyle factor?
I have...several people. One was a coworker that died at 49 from HA, he worked out daily, seemed to eat okay, not obese...but you never really know someone's medical history or whether in their past they had a contributing lifestyle.

I've also known people that died even younger, same situation and happened to find out they had atherosclerosis (and often these people have family history of heart disease).

Another was a close childhood friend. Had a massive heart attack after the death of a parent - stress was just too much for him, but he had a long history of obesity and some (long past) drug/alcohol dependency.

You can't beat your genes. It doesn't even have to be a structural defect of the heart.

Years of being heavy or having HBP, or having arrhythmia, can all cause congenitally normal hearts to become abnormal. Anyone with atherosclerosis can throw a clot.

You just never know.

Lifestyle is a major factor though. Specifically, diet and stress. Stress really is the silent killer.
This is one reason that HA affects more men than women and why men have higher mortality when they DO have one.
The cortisol response to psychological stress in men is roughly 1.5-2x that in women.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:45 AM

1,075 posts, read 502,072 times
It is important to know your numbers. Check your BP and cholesterol.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 AM

2,457 posts, read 6,250,395 times
I am 85 and saw several age 45 deaths due to heart attacks,our thoughts then were if you get past 40's you were pretty safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness