Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:12 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,002,223 times

Advertisements

Mmm. Eggs are yummy. Especially with some bacon. And cheese!

Not giving them up!

(PS - everything is bad for you, so whatever!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,166,332 times
They don't know.
First they're ok, then they're not, then they're good, then they're bad.
You may as well check the wind direction to decide if they're good or bad that day.

I eat 2 or 3 every day and I've lost 60 lbs. so far.
IMO, eating them is a great way to avoid hunger while still counting carbs and calories.
I never tire of them, either.

The last creation I made with them was a garlic chicken sandwich.
A whole chicken breast on toasted Aunt Millie's Light Whole Grain Bread (only 11 net carbs!)
Garlic Butter (not too much)
Mayo (not too much)
Mushrooms
Lettuce
2 slices of American Cheese
1 fried egg

This is really good (and quite big) and I think the whole thing has around 400 calories and 15 carbs.
A salad with Walden Farms dressing (2 hard boiled eggs in it) and a can of green beans is dinner. About 700 calories and I'm really full.
You could split this up, add a little chicken and another fried egg to make two sandwiches and be around 1000 calories.
I don't think I could eat that much.

Last edited by eaton53; 03-16-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2019, 07:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,613,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They didn't conduct a study. They did a statistical analysis of old studies so the samples and the variables may not have been controlled as required.

link
Excellent observation. This “correlation means causation” fallacy is one of my pet peeves. Correlation simply means there might be something worth a closer examination but until well designed experiments, with proper controls, are performed, it remains nothing more than speculation, a hypothesis awaiting proof.

Also, as Mikala says, moderation in all things is usually a safe bet.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:45 AM

7,200 posts, read 4,467,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Excellent observation. This “correlation means causation” fallacy is one of my pet peeves. Correlation simply means there might be something worth a closer examination but until well designed experiments, with proper controls, are performed, it remains nothing more than speculation, a hypothesis awaiting proof
Yes what is it with the poor quality studies? A lot of people online in the comments pointed this out. It also had flaws in that apparently it was all men and also 60% african american people which may have a higher rate of heart disease period.

Still it makes me doubt and I do not like it.

If anyone can't access the article... fyi, if you clear your cookies and reload all "paywall" articles can be read.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:49 AM

6,336 posts, read 4,055,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Like all other foods, deli meats, oxilates in spinach..... whatever. Eat it in moderation and you should be fine (unless you have a specific medical condition that counters that).

If you eat 2 or 3 eggs a day, and have no trouble with your numbers, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.

(personally, I would add more variety to my diet)
True, moderation is the key and although eggs are a great source of protein, you’re probably betting off mixing it up a bit and alternating between eggs and other protein sources rather than 2 to 3 eggs each day, regardless of your numbers.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:35 AM

1,299 posts, read 814,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
True, moderation is the key and although eggs are a great source of protein, you’re probably betting off mixing it up a bit and alternating between eggs and other protein sources rather than 2 to 3 eggs each day, regardless of your numbers.
Why, though? Your feelings?

If someone's health and numbers are good, they're good. And maybe 2-3 eggs a day is moderation, factually, not what something thinks might be true just because it sounds good.

(so I say, healthy 50s person, as I eat the two eggs for breakfast that I have most days...)

Old 03-16-2019, 08:56 AM

4,844 posts, read 2,952,227 times
What most articles fail to mention:

"However, Huntington College of Health Sciences notes, lecithin in eggs actually absorbs bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol. The mechanism by which lecithin modifies cholesterol levels may be attributed to its high polyunsaturated-fats content."
https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...ithin-in-eggs/

Old 03-16-2019, 10:39 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,475,500 times
American Heart Association: Eggs have healthy fats

link

This has been repeated in a quite a lot of low-carb medical sites. I think the main complaint with eggs is that people tend to eat them with cooked sausages which are high in saturated fat.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:54 AM

8,174 posts, read 3,368,042 times
Here is a summary of the article: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/eggs-an...ne-2019-03-15/

Most of what I have read about eggs and cholesterol, especially in recent years, said that dietary cholesterol is not an important factor in heart disease. But this study says it is.

This study also seems to contradict the high fat, low carb, ideas, which make sense to me and lots of others.

I think there could be something wrong with this study. Can't see it without paying though.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:20 AM

87,995 posts, read 83,805,998 times
My mother eats an egg or two every morning. Her dialysis docs recommended that she do because she needs to keep her protein levels up. She is 90 years old. She also had a quad bypass four years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness