Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:31 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Hate to say it, but a high sugar diet has been implicated in Alzheimer's, so much so that some would like to rename it "diabetes type 3" .

It may seem that lots of disease processes are related to sugar consumption, enough to make you roll your eyes. But we were never intended to eat that way.
When I think of it for myself and I'm sure there are many way worse than me, I so enjoyed the cookies, pies, ice cream, boy I've changed my "likes" in the last 10 yrs or so.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:56 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Hate to say it, but a high sugar diet has been implicated in Alzheimer's, so much so that some would like to rename it "diabetes type 3" .

It may seem that lots of disease processes are related to sugar consumption, enough to make you roll your eyes. But we were never intended to eat that way.
Oh great, as I'm sitting here eating a sugary treat.

I'm legal guardian to a cousin who has Alzheimer's so I was doing some reading on it. From what I read, about 1/3 of the cases are hereditary, 1/3 is environmental, and the other 1/3 ???? no one knows. The environmental part could include bad diet, toxic fumes, brain injury, etc. The causes seem to be very elusive and I don't think anyone really knows.

I did find an interesting list of drugs that no older person should take. That goes under "environmental" and my relative with Alzheimer's was talking a high dose of one of those drugs. Protective Services had already decided she needed to be in a nursing home. One of her doctors was shocked when she saw the high dose and talked to her PCP about it. The relative was taken off that drug and her memory was back to normal in a day or so. The social worker couldn't believe it was the same person.

She lasted four more years in her own home but she lives in a memory care unit now. There's no way of proving it, but it's possible or even probable that the drug that caused the temporary memory loss is what started the downhill journey. I think most doctors know about not using high doses of these drugs on older people but apparently some don't.

So I think lifestyle could be important in prevention. I wonder if anything can be done if it's in your genes though. They're been talking about prevention and cures for years but this must be an awfully hard one.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:56 PM

This issue came to me about 20 yrs ago and I was getting rid of all alum cookware and other stuff alum in my house. Now so much new info, so who knows, could be some of this and some of that and then the genetic issue. I don't have any family that I know of with the memory loss issues.

My latest "sweet" treat are frozen red grapes, 6-7 and I'm good. I've done my life of refined sugars and I'm also eliminating for other reasons as well.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Also, be sure to take your oral health seriously, before it gets bad. There is a growing body of evidence linking it to Alzheimer's.

Alzheimer's is linked to gum disease

Old 03-18-2019, 03:43 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Amyloid Plaques are clumps of sticky proteins in the brain that damage the connections.

Normally, there are cells called Microglia that “prune†away brain overgrowth & unneeded synapses (connections) but neuroinflammation (inflammation in the brain) can alter the Microglia. Altered Microglia occur in Autism, Schizophrenia & Alzheimer’s. https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-8674(16)30587-6.pdf
Microglia: The Brain

Due to biomarkers in the brain called Cytokines; it appears as though the neuroinflammation altering the Microglia & altering the Synaptic Pruning, is from an atypical viral response. https://www.researchednutritionals.c...-14-17-002.pdf
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322223.php

Alzheimer’s is altered synaptic pruning in an aged brain. Schizophrenia is altered synaptic pruning in a young adult brain & Autism is altered synaptic pruning in a developing brain. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30846948
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30210663

Susceptibility to viruses is determined by genes but atypical responses can be random (sepsis). There are several viruses currently being studied for both Autism & Alzheimer’s. https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news...eimers-disease
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017...trigger-autism

Regarding Aluminum; it is not thought to be able to cross the Blood-Brain Barrier unless the barrier is damaged or penetrated. Could possibly cross using a viral vector; as viruses can penetrate the BB barrier. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7587371/

Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
My mother was diagnosed with amyloidosis, which in her case affected her kidneys. It can affect different parts of the body. She had to be on chemo drugs and prednisone 4 days out of every month. After 2 years her disease is under control, however the chemo drugs destroyed her bone marrow and she can't make enough hemoglobin or platelets now so she has to have blood and platelet transfusions every other week. The doctor has given her 3-6 months to live unless she takes a very toxic medication (similar to thalidomide) which has tons of side effects. It is only going to extend her life another year or two.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:57 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:

That's the common sense conclusion, but it doesn't hold water: it didn't take northern Germanic tribesmen too many generations after they domesticated goats & cattle to develop an altered gene pool to allow them to tolerate lactose. Men have been raising grains & grapes for much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Oh great, as I'm sitting here eating a sugary treat.

I'm legal guardian to a cousin who has Alzheimer's so I was doing some reading on it. From what I read, about 1/3 of the cases are hereditary, 1/3 is environmental, and the other 1/3 ???? no one knows.

Right. No one knows. It's impossible to delineate environmental factors because AD doesn't come on suddenly after you go off your good diet for 2 weeks, say. It takes a lifetime and we can't possibly evaluate the role of any single factor, if any, are involved. They're guessing without any evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Regarding Aluminum; it is not thought to be able to cross the Blood-Brain Barrier unless the barrier is damaged or penetrated.

Exactly. The presence of extra Al, or amyloid or anything else in the brain may be a secondary effect of the damage and not the cause of the damage.

The cells/tissues in the body are in a constant dynamic equilibrium-- wrecking crews and construction crews working in synchrony. When there's the right balance, things are "healthy." When one works faster than the other, there's disease- often referred to as "inflammation."...And as those of us who are deep into aging know, we don't heal like we used to- that delicate balance changes as we age.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:31 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Amyloid is a substance that gets deposited in some people in places other than the brain. Officially, "they" really have little understanding of why this occurs - just that some people are more prone to it than others. Beyond that little is known about this mysterious substance. Amyloid plaques are found in brains of people where there was no dementia. So...the real question is what is the significance?

Amyloid in kidneys (for example) can surely, in some, cause kidney failure, etc. But what exactly it has to do with dementia is still officially unknown. It is an interesting thing to investigate, however. But like all things of this sort, the answer will require time - especially since brains are only examined, in toto, after death and studies, so far haven't even established exactly where and how much, etc., is positively correlated with dementia.

Prevention of amyloid deposition is in its infancy, and specifically amyloid deposition in the CNS is still a mystery. This is not going to get solved over night.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,419,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Amyloid is a substance that gets deposited in some people in places other than the brain. Officially, "they" really have little understanding of why this occurs - just that some people are more prone to it than others. Beyond that little is known about this mysterious substance. Amyloid plaques are found in brains of people where there was no dementia. So...the real question is what is the significance?

Amyloid in kidneys (for example) can surely, in some, cause kidney failure, etc. But what exactly it has to do with dementia is still officially unknown. It is an interesting thing to investigate, however. But like all things of this sort, the answer will require time - especially since brains are only examined, in toto, after death and studies, so far haven't even established exactly where and how much, etc., is positively correlated with dementia.

Prevention of amyloid deposition is in its infancy, and specifically amyloid deposition in the CNS is still a mystery. This is not going to get solved over night.
It's caused by proteins folding incorrectly. Cells make the proteins that do all kinds of life functions, using codes in the DNA. But after a protein is created it still has to fold into its complex shape. Mainstream science says this is no big deal, the protein just knows its shape. No, not likely. The information for the 3D shapes of proteins probably involves quantum physics somehow.

Anything unnatural in our environment might disrupt protein folding. It is an extremely complex process. Misfolded proteins can form sticky stuff that can cause mad cow disease, Alzheimer's, autoimmune disorders, you name it.

Quantum biology is new and mainstream medicine doesn't understand it. Non-mainstream medicine barely understands it.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

For me and the longer I take the antioxidant the more that comes out on it's benefits and one of the latest ones are the amyloid plaques....so why not mention it and I'm glad I do what I do on possible prevention and true we don't know how we'll end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness