Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 07:18 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. I just don't mention it very much. I am not big on support groups. I just try to handle it on my own. I try to be with positive people who make me laugh, rather than people who exchange maladies and aches and pains. That's why I haven't mentioned it on C-D.

THIS thing is new, and I am thinking of all of the WORST things that this could be. My mother died of cancer at a much younger age than I am now. So did both of my aunts, maternal and paternal.

I have a friend who survived leukemia (seven years, so far, and a former boyfriend later a friend, who passed of non-Hodgekin's lymphoma at 49.
I am also an inactive RN, so my mind runs wild with horrible possibilities.

So, I am scared.

That is completely understandable.

I got RA and FM at pretty much the same time, when large injections of steroids were doing nothing for the pain of the RA... FM diagnosis.

I can tell you there were times I was almost positive that I must have had a stroke, I was mentally and physically tired, I could no longer do math in my head, or remember things like I could before. I literally felt that my IQ must have dropped 30 points. I was very frightened. As the FM cleared up, so did those symptoms. But no sleeping, no matter how tired I got... insomnia.

Maybe something for you to look at. I know many with FM have chronic fatigue syndrome, but I have no knowledge on that.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 07:38 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Thyroid or cortisol issues - or both. Do a 4 point saliva test, ZRT - you can order it yourself online. Make sure you are off any cortisol altering supplements for 2 weeks prior to taking the test. (you can find a list via google)

Don't supplement anything before you get it tested.

There's plenty to read on circadian rhythm. The best things I've done is install f.lux on my computer, using a sleep bulb to read before bed, and the same bulb to gently wake me up.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,424,435 times
Have your thyroid checked. And not just the basic tests run. I mean test for all the antibodies and such. It may take some digging to find a doctor even willing to do this, and the doctor you find may not be an endocrinologist. I found a Family Med MD that knows more about thyroid issues than any endo I've ever seen.

I would also have vitamin levels checked as others have mentioned.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,555,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
There are special lights to use if you get SAD that you are supposed to use every day to help. I know one of my friends who has SAD and goes to therapy was recommended a specific type to get but I don’t have the information for it. I will probably look into it next winter since I live in Chicagoland and have trouble with side effects on antidepressants.
So true. This helped my Father-in-Law immensely. He had a different dilemna than you do, but it helped him to refocus, and become more like himself again. Sheena, you may want to try ordering the special "sunlight" bulbs while you are still up north. I can't remember exactly what they are called, but someone here may be able to offer up a link.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Could be any of the above but also, do you know if you have any allergies? Allergies usually come with fibro. Allergies can cause extreme fatigue and also brain fog. It could be a food you eat every day or something environmental like dust, mold, or pet dander.

Winter is really depressing when it drags on and on and you feel like you have run out of steam. I find that I feel totally drained by this time of the year. The vitamin D gel caps and the light could help with that.

Do take a look at the possibility of allergies and sensitivities though--dust, mold anywhere in the house, etc. And you could try eating some gentle foods for a few days while avoiding dairy, wheat, nightshade vegetables. Substitute almond milk, rice, squash, carrots--all are fairly non allergenic. I hope you find the cause and start to feel better soon.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Have your thyroid checked. And not just the basic tests run. I mean test for all the antibodies and such. It may take some digging to find a doctor even willing to do this, and the doctor you find may not be an endocrinologist. I found a Family Med MD that knows more about thyroid issues than any endo I've ever seen.

I would also have vitamin levels checked as others have mentioned.
Endos and MDs I saw for 10 yrs on thryoid being the culprit, kept telling me your numbers are fine, you are fine...I knew I was NOT, finally asked the D.O. who worked with my back for years about thyroid and he put me on a theraputic dose and that did it, lifted 10 yrs of depression. The rest is history, 18 yrs of desiccated thyroid support. No depression...then a lowness hit some yrs later and found I was so Vit D empty.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:31 PM

166 posts, read 191,797 times
when I was out in California I felt a lot better! The sunshine gave me energy and brightened up my day.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,169,560 times
Sheena, the B12 definitely helped me but you should get tested first. When my number came up ok the next time, dr said I didn't have to take it any more. I complained, saying it felt like it sure gave me energy, and she said yes it does that, but your numbers are ok. So I don't take any unless I'm having back to back busy days, then I'll do one. It does not seem to make a difference in my lab work.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 PM

98 posts, read 134,895 times
My husband has non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver and the sleeping during the day and not at night is a symptom. If you are an RN you know you need to get a good physical exam including complete bloodwork to rule out lots of potential diseases.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:24 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
She has her doctors appointment today. Hopefully she will update us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness