Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:38 PM

8,757 posts, read 5,055,756 times

Advertisements

Just got back from the Dr, and I have osteoporosis. He wants me to take Prolia. He said there are no side affects of the drug. Well, I am sitting in front of my TV, and the first commercial I see is for Prolia. Well, they list all the side effects, and there are many. I am disappointed in the doctor I have been seeing for years.
He did make a good case for going on the meds......broken hip.....nursing home.
So, any advice from those in the same boat as me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Just got back from the Dr, and I have osteoporosis. He wants me to take Prolia. He said there are no side affects of the drug. Well, I am sitting in front of my TV, and the first commercial I see is for Prolia. Well, they list all the side effects, and there are many. I am disappointed in the doctor I have been seeing for years.
Wow, all those osteoporosis drugs come with a list of possible side effects. I work with alternative minerals and more and it's interesting and I've fallen probably 6 times in the last couple yrs and all mostly due to arthritic knee issues and body being unstable from hip surgery, I have not broken anything. I have been a major proponent of getting enough magnesium in our bodies, as there is plenty of info on this deficiency. My take on what I feel has worked in my long life. Did your MD happen to mention mag deficiency?

This is the s/e I heard so much from yrs ago, I would not touch the drugs.

https://www.biltmoreperiodontics.com...mage-jaw-bone/

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-04-2019 at 01:48 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 01:00 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
I don't know about that specific drug, but I have read about other osteoporosis drugs. They interfere with the natural process of bone loss. Bones are in a constant process of losing and adding, in response to how they are used. Preventing loss sounds like a good idea, but it isn't, because loss is part of the process that keeps bones strong and organized.

So you wind up with clutter, which is not strong or healthy. It might help a little to prevent certain kinds of fractures, but in general it does nothing for bone health. And then you have all the other side effects.

I have never heard of an MD mentioning side effects. They believe what the drug companies say -- the side effects, from any drug, are very rare.

That is not true, but MDs don't have time to fact check what the drug companies and their research say.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:03 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,422,044 times
"The following are common (occurring in greater than 30%) side effects for patients taking Prolia:
Fatigue.
Muscle weakness.
Decreased levels of phosphorus in your blood (hypophosphatemia)"

30% of patients is A LOT. Are you sure you want fatigue and muscle weakness??

Old 03-04-2019, 01:10 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
OP, do you take calcium to help prevent osteoporosis? and magnesium? Vitamin D3? They are discussed on here a lot. Weight bearing exercise, etc?

A doctor once put me on some stuff to prevent osteoporosis and luckily it didn't have any side effects on me. I wasn't on it too long before they took it off the market--this seems to happen quite a bit. I always go online and read the side effects--that often scares me enough that I'll do the work on my own rather than take a prescription with dangerous side effects.

Last edited by in_newengland; 03-04-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 01:35 PM

Thanks for all the comments so far. I have a few weeks to think about it, as they contact the ins company. Hope to hear from those who have taken prolia, or other drug.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:11 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Whenever I want information about a medication, I look it up on askapatient.com. Here's the link to the Prolia page: https://www.askapatient.com/viewrati...20&name=PROLIA

Old 03-04-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Whenever I want information about a medication, I look it up on askapatient.com. Here's the link to the Prolia page: https://www.askapatient.com/viewrati...20&name=PROLIA
Thanks. I wonder though.....I think most people who post online are the ones who have a bad reaction, those that don`t have side affects, don`t bother to post online. What are your thoughts? I do appreciate the info.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:45 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Quote:
Osteoporosis has a range of severities. The lowest severity may be treatable with calcium supplements but the highest severity is not since there has been too much bone loss for the body to recover. My wife has very bad osteoporosis which has resulted in five fractures of her spine. It was extremely painful for her and she had to be super cautious of everything as she could break other bones easily. She just finished a treatment with Forteo and is now on Prolia. Forteo is the only drug which grows new bone in severe cases of osteo. It has helped DW tremendously. But you cannot take it more than 2 years, and after that the goal is to prevent the new bone from being lost with use of Prolia.

My recommendation to you is to find out how serious your osteoporosis is. You mentioned breaking a hip - did that happen from osteo? If so, it sounds serious. If you have a serious case of it, I would get a second opinion of the treatment. Prolia prevents bone loss but won't grow new bone material. I would not take bis-phosphanates. Those do have bad side effects.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:53 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Thanks. I wonder though.....I think most people who post online are the ones who have a bad reaction, those that don`t have side affects, don`t bother to post online. What are your thoughts? I do appreciate the info.
I didn't read the comments on Prolia carefully (I have osteopenia, rather than osteoporosis, so haven't had to face the medication decision yet), but I did see there were quite a few people who gave Prolia 4's and 5's (5 being the highest rating). So there seems to be a range of experiences with the drug.

I'd be very cautious, however, with a doctor who says it has no side effects. Best-case scenario is, he's uninformed. But it would sure make me wonder what else he's uninformed about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness