U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 02:54 PM

22,008 posts, read 7,439,753 times

Advertisements

I just heard this amazing story by the woman being interviewed on the BBC. I'd love to have some of this gene.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...lands-47719718

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0327203450.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2019, 03:24 PM

2,894 posts, read 1,301,445 times
Hmm, tempting thought, but I'd just as soon keep mine. Pain may be a pain, but we have it for a reason. It literally saves your life. I wouldn't mind lowering the intensity of it, though.

Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 PM

22,008 posts, read 7,439,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Hmm, tempting thought, but I'd just as soon keep mine. Pain may be a pain, but we have it for a reason. It literally saves your life. I wouldn't mind lowering the intensity of it, though.
That's why I qualified my post with "some". Thinking about this woman and all she's missing out on "hardly any pain"!!!!!

Last edited by jaminhealth; 03-28-2019 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-28-2019, 05:15 PM

8,816 posts, read 5,935,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just heard this amazing story by the woman being interviewed on the BBC. I'd love to have some of this gene.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland...lands-47719718

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0327203450.htm
No, even you wouldn't.

Pain is our bodies' warning sign

I had a patient who felt zero pain. He didn't know that he had a tack in his heal. Or the gangreen that he developed from that tack.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:18 AM

102 posts, read 21,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
No, even you wouldn't.

Pain is our bodies' warning sign

I had a patient who felt zero pain. He didn't know that he had a tack in his heal. Or the gangreen that he developed from that tack.
With all due respect, I agree. As an adult I have taken to the notion that pain can be our friend. It lets us know we are truly alive. It alerts us to problems and makes us aware of our circumstances so that when needed we can seek help.
About thirty years ago a friend had a terrible accident when a storm blew a storm door into him, cutting him up pretty bad. He had severe damage to his left arm which included nerve damage. This damage left him with little to no feeling in his left hand. About ten years ago we were at a gathering, I think to watch football and he was there. He got up and was slicing some cheese and talking with another guest when all of a sudden she screamed. While slicing the cheese he was cutting through his finger and he had no idea of what he was doing to his finger. I instantly thought of this when I read about the woman with no pain.
Again, all due respect to the folks living with pain.

Old 03-29-2019, 11:06 AM

5,942 posts, read 3,417,466 times
Maybe it is just a matter of conditioning oneself? Going back to my childhood, I refused Novacane for drilling cavities. Dentists always said to me, "You aren't in pain"? Fast forward to adulthood more dentists have asked me why I didn't come in sooner for very bad dental issues. "Weren't you in excruciating pain". No, did not feel anything.

Two years ago after major dental surgery (2 extractions and cyst removed), Dentist wanted me to take a script for pain medication. Told him I did not need it, but he insisted I would be pain. Right, Doc. His Assistant followed me to my car, script in hand. Leave me alone. A couple of Tylenol at night is enough for me. When I went back to this Dentist, he shook my hand and said he had never had a patient before who didn't need that pain script after similar surgery.

Cuts? I cannot count how many times I have cut myself with a kitchen knife and didn't know I did until I saw a trail of blood on the floor. Oh, must have cut myself! Well, let me say this much. Blood alone is a sign of something wrong, even without any pain attached to it. Thirty-five years when I had a ruptured ectopic pregnancy, I cleaned my house before I went to the hospital. Only a dull "pain" down my left side, but a lot of BLEEDING, warned me of it.

Well, the one thing you can say about those of us with very high tolerance for pain, is that we won't become addicted to Opioids.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 PM

19,755 posts, read 55,017,557 times
The woman in the article has a genetic abnormality. She has not "conditioned" herself to pain. She is being studied to see if they can learn anything about how to treat pain.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; Today at 09:02 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:04 AM

4,899 posts, read 10,827,749 times
There is a terrific book on this very topic, The Gift of Pain by Paul Brand and Philip Yancey

Outstanding read about Brand's work with Leprosy patients in the US and abroad detailing the horrible consequences of a life without pain sensation. Really good read.

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

5,020 posts, read 2,121,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
The woman in the article has a genetic abnormality. She has not "conditioned" herself to pain. She is being studied to see if they can learn anything about how to treat pain.
This.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; Today at 09:02 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

926 posts, read 505,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is a terrific book on this very topic, The Gift of Pain by Paul Brand and Philip Yancey

Outstanding read about Brand's work with Leprosy patients in the US and abroad detailing the horrible consequences of a life without pain sensation. Really good read.
Thanks! I'm going to put this on my reading list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or