U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 06:14 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,508,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
My sister had extremely high blood pressure and was put on drugs. She had not been exercising at all for a couple of years. Her husband finally convinced her to start exercising again, and her blood pressure went down. Her doctor had never said anything about exercise, just gave her drugs.

The same thing happened with my mother when she was middle aged. The doctor gave her drugs, and never mentioned exercise. But that was a long time ago. Now they should know better. But it seems like they don't.
The patient with high blood pressure should know as well 🤷*♀️ Plenty of info in the public domain regarding cardiovascular health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 PM

1,867 posts, read 912,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
My sister had extremely high blood pressure and was put on drugs. She had not been exercising at all for a couple of years. Her husband finally convinced her to start exercising again, and her blood pressure went down. Her doctor had never said anything about exercise, just gave her drugs.

The same thing happened with my mother when she was middle aged. The doctor gave her drugs, and never mentioned exercise. But that was a long time ago. Now they should know better. But it seems like they don't.
It isn't always related to exercise.

I was diagnosed with hypertension when I was in my 30s. I was a runner at the time, fit and strong, with a BP of 185/100. Nothing brought it down except medication.

All of my grandparents had strokes, and I have no desire to follow in their footsteps, am happy to take the medication.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:18 PM

3,754 posts, read 1,107,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was exercising for decades and still BP rose with aging. Could be I was just consuming much of the no no foods like sugars and refined carbs, as we're now being told are the culprits.
I think it can also be related to upper cervical problems. Did you ever get checked by a chiropractor? Did you ever have a neck injury?

Old 04-04-2019, 06:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,175,745 times
Keep a log of your blood pressure for a week or two, then go into your doctor's office with your own monitor and have them take your pressure on their equipment and then you take it on yours. If the readings are consistent between the two, and your readings are low when you take at home, then you probably are one of those people who gets high blood pressure just by seeing a doctor. Your doctor may prefer to go by your own log rather than a one time reading in their office.

Old 04-04-2019, 06:43 PM

2,470 posts, read 6,278,031 times
I have been fighting BP for some time and now have it in good range,the 40mg of lisinopril makes me light headed when taken in morning.He also had me on horrible water pill.
I go to doctor tomorrow,I have done what he has asked for a month.

Old Yesterday, 12:07 AM

8,413 posts, read 2,703,319 times
Many people are affected by "white coat syndrome", or higher tension and blood pressure just because they're in a doctor's office.

Old Yesterday, 04:29 AM

4,897 posts, read 3,099,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

I was diagnosed with hypertension when I was in my 30s. I was a runner at the time, fit and strong, with a BP of 185/100. Nothing brought it down except medication.

All of my grandparents had strokes, and I have no desire to follow in their footsteps, am happy to take the medication.
I thought I've read that blood pressure is up to 40% genetic, so you can be as fit as a fiddle, like yourself, triathlete, Mr. Universe, world-class athlete, etc. and still get it, just look at Bob Harper, the personal trainer from The Biggest Loser, who had a heart attack back in 2017.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

476 posts, read 190,482 times
I never let the doctor use that BP machine on me! I swear, just looking at that thing, and knowing it's going to squeeze my arm to bursting, causes my BP to rise! I always insist on the old fashioned method. I also had a very wise NP tell me to get the most accurate reading, the patient should be sitting still, legs uncrossed for at least 5 minutes before taking a reading. The variation is huge between doing it correctly with a manual set-up vs. doing it incorrectly with the machine, at least for me. My first reading was high enough that the doc wanted me to go on BP meds....15 minutes later, using no machine and following the guidelines stated above, it was spot on "normal" 120/80. Just my two cents.

Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

7,849 posts, read 5,808,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I had my blood pressure taken for the first time in about 12 years recently, when I visited a doc for a pre-surgical evaluation. The first attempt read 142/85. A second attempt read 135/85.

I had always had low blood pressure, so I purchased the same brand digital monitor the doc was using and began taking my blood pressure. I was under stress as I prepared for surgery. Most of my readings were in the 115 - 130/ 70 - 80 range. After I did aerobic exercise, it was considerably lower (as expected), reading 100 - 110/ 55 - 70 range. The highest reading on my home monitor was 142 / 90. Just before I went into surgery, my blood pressure was 180 / 95. Five minutes later, it was 135 / 85.

Now that I've had the surgery and have been laying around doing nothing for two weeks, I'm getting low readings in the range of 100 - 120/ 55 - 75. Just now I got the lowest reading I ever had 92 / 54.

This makes me wonder if measuring blood pressure is so variable using traditional measures that doctors are highly likely to be prescribing medication when it isn't necessary. Given my initial readings, some docs would have wanted me to start blood pressure medications to LOWER my blood pressure. Given my current readings, it looks like I have borderline hypotension, LOW blood pressure.

How can doctors rely on blood pressure readings to prescribe medications?
As someone that DOES have hypertension, both from lifestyle factors and genetics, yes, but they usually don't fly off on one reading.

At both the doctor I went to see for my BP, and my regular doctor, they take it twice, sometimes three times. Because they both recognize that white coat is a thing. They both told me to buy a cuff and monitor it at home. Some doctors have a machine that takes several readings over 10-15 minutes as well. And you aren't borderline Hypotensive.

I've had a really low reading when I was having an allergic asthma attack, similarly it was 92/54.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

3,754 posts, read 1,107,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post

Nothing in health is "always." But very often lack of exercise is a factor. Doctors should always emphasize lifestyle before giving drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or