U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:50 AM

7,849 posts, read 5,808,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
My sister had extremely high blood pressure and was put on drugs. She had not been exercising at all for a couple of years. Her husband finally convinced her to start exercising again, and her blood pressure went down. Her doctor had never said anything about exercise, just gave her drugs.

The same thing happened with my mother when she was middle aged. The doctor gave her drugs, and never mentioned exercise. But that was a long time ago. Now they should know better. But it seems like they don't.
Do you want to know what prescribed treatment regimen is least likely to be adhered to by a patient? Diet and Exercise. I agree with you that the smart thing would have been to tell them, "Watch the salt, one cup of coffee only, and start exercising 45 minutes a day, and come back in 6-8 weeks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM

3,758 posts, read 1,107,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Do you want to know what prescribed treatment regimen is least likely to be adhered to by a patient? Diet and Exercise. I agree with you that the smart thing would have been to tell them, "Watch the salt, one cup of coffee only, and start exercising 45 minutes a day, and come back in 6-8 weeks."
Salt and coffee are ok.

Patients ignore the advice to exercise because they think they can get the same result from drugs. Taking a pill is easier. They don't realize that the pills will cause other problems, and will not fix the cause of the high BP.

I have argued about this many times at this forum. Doctors over-estimate the benefits of drugs, and mostly ignore the disadvantages.

Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

12,437 posts, read 13,742,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
....How can doctors rely on blood pressure readings to prescribe medications?
I've never known a doctor to prescribe blood pressure medication based on a few readings. They look for readings that are increasing over time or in some cases take a rather large jump due to a particular physical crisis.

Blood pressure can also be monitored over a twenty-four hour period while a patient goes about their usual activities, and this can be done several times to assess a patient.

Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM

3,545 posts, read 1,479,808 times
My BP is usually in the 120-130/70-80 range, but it can read higher if I'm upset, or had to rush to get the doctor's office. It was very low for a while after a surgery, down to 95/60.

You might want to check it routinely under controlled conditions.
For instance, when you first get up in the morning and just before bed.

A few ways to make your BP lower before testing:
About an hour before, take a brisk walk, then relax.
Sit down in a comfortable, non-stressful place for at least 5 minutes just before testing.
During testing, get comfortable. Don't cross your arms or legs.
Close your eyes, and imagine you're in a favorite place. Maybe relaxing in a hammock overlooking a flower-filled meadow, or making a sand castle on the beach. If it's chilly in the office, I imagine I'm in the sun; if I'm hot, I think about somewhere cool.

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

1,870 posts, read 912,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I never let the doctor use that BP machine on me! I swear, just looking at that thing, and knowing it's going to squeeze my arm to bursting, causes my BP to rise! I always insist on the old fashioned method. I also had a very wise NP tell me to get the most accurate reading, the patient should be sitting still, legs uncrossed for at least 5 minutes before taking a reading. The variation is huge between doing it correctly with a manual set-up vs. doing it incorrectly with the machine, at least for me. My first reading was high enough that the doc wanted me to go on BP meds....15 minutes later, using no machine and following the guidelines stated above, it was spot on "normal" 120/80. Just my two cents.
How did they take your BP?

The "old-fashioned method" is a cuff and stethoscope. The cuff does indeed squeeze your arm quite a bit (not to bursting, of course).

Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM

70,829 posts, read 82,087,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmiller9 View Post
I had my blood pressure taken for the first time in about 12 years recently, when I visited a doc for a pre-surgical evaluation. The first attempt read 142/85. A second attempt read 135/85.

I had always had low blood pressure, so I purchased the same brand digital monitor the doc was using and began taking my blood pressure. I was under stress as I prepared for surgery. Most of my readings were in the 115 - 130/ 70 - 80 range. After I did aerobic exercise, it was considerably lower (as expected), reading 100 - 110/ 55 - 70 range. The highest reading on my home monitor was 142 / 90. Just before I went into surgery, my blood pressure was 180 / 95. Five minutes later, it was 135 / 85.

Now that I've had the surgery and have been laying around doing nothing for two weeks, I'm getting low readings in the range of 100 - 120/ 55 - 75. Just now I got the lowest reading I ever had 92 / 54.

This makes me wonder if measuring blood pressure is so variable using traditional measures that doctors are highly likely to be prescribing medication when it isn't necessary. Given my initial readings, some docs would have wanted me to start blood pressure medications to LOWER my blood pressure. Given my current readings, it looks like I have borderline hypotension, LOW blood pressure.

How can doctors rely on blood pressure readings to prescribe medications?
I often wonder the same thing: normally, unless I am really upset about something my BP will range between 125 over 75 to as high as 136 over 80. I am on a mild BP med. Every time I go to WalMart I take mine: it is always about the same 185over 85. Figure that one out. I have taken it a few times after I have taken a double dose of my BP just to see and one time when I did't take my med at all.

Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

1,622 posts, read 1,508,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I often wonder the same thing: normally, unless I am really upset about something my BP will range between 125 over 75 to as high as 136 over 80. I am on a mild BP med. Every time I go to WalMart I take mine: it is always about the same 185over 85. Figure that one out. I have taken it a few times after I have taken a double dose of my BP just to see and one time when I did't take my med at all.
Walking into and around the Walmart will raise your pressure-- physical activity raises blood pressure--the better physical shape you're in the lower it will rise during physical activity. Also, those type of machines are often not very accurate-- appropriate cuff size in measuring BP is important.

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM

479 posts, read 190,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
How did they take your BP?

The "old-fashioned method" is a cuff and stethoscope. The cuff does indeed squeeze your arm quite a bit (not to bursting, of course).
LOL! It feels like it's going to burst! Yes the old method is the cuff and stethoscope. Less painful to me anyway.

Old Yesterday, 02:01 PM

22,137 posts, read 7,492,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I would not trust those monitors at Walmart and the drug stores. They are most likely not well maintained and abused by users.

Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM

1,870 posts, read 912,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
LOL! It feels like it's going to burst! Yes the old method is the cuff and stethoscope. Less painful to me anyway.

Not sure how you had yours taken then. The cuff used the old-fashioned way does squeeze your arm very tightly...it's not less painful than having your BP measured any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or