U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:36 AM

396 posts, read 218,577 times

Advertisements

I have also read that talking while taking your blood pressure will cause high readings, and it always annoys me when the doctor or nurse start asking questions while they are taking a BP reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 11:38 AM

2,962 posts, read 1,329,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
And too little salt can be unhealthy.

While true, I really don't think anyone in the US runs a risk of having too little salt in their diet.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:54 AM

109 posts, read 24,235 times
Our B/P's are always in flux unless of course we never ate, drank or moved. But that in itself would be dangerous! Elevated B/P is a problem when it's high for no apparent reason! That's why the only true measure is from a "resting" read.
The most dangerous time to have high B/P is during your daily or nightly sleep. That's when our bodies are repairing themselves and when B/P is high during this time....no repairs! Trouble ahead for sure.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:09 PM

481 posts, read 192,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
120/80 is “elevated” bordering on hypertensive. It increases your stroke risk, particularly if you’re older. In 2019, pretty much any male 55+ would be put on a lightweight BP med to knock it down a bit. Just my $0.02.
Strange...maybe recommendations have changed...that was always normal when I was growing up...at any rate, the NP said it was fine, whatever it was!

Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 PM

2,962 posts, read 1,329,318 times
Quote:
120/80 is “elevated” bordering on hypertensive. It increases your stroke risk, particularly if you’re older. In 2019, pretty much any male 55+ would be put on a lightweight BP med to knock it down a bit. Just my $0.02.

Not according to this chart.

https://www.healthline.com/health/hi...ding-explained

120/80 is normal, although getting close to the next level, which is simply "elevated." Stage 1 HBP doesn't start until 130/80.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:22 PM

5,115 posts, read 4,995,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I have also read that talking while taking your blood pressure will cause high readings, and it always annoys me when the doctor or nurse start asking questions while they are taking a BP reading.
There are actually quite a few things I notice they do wrong based on recommendations on how to take BP but they all seem to do it anyway.

Quote:
They go back and forth too much. Not too long ago, they said over the age of sixty they would be more lax on what was considered "high" and now a huge percentage of the population will have high BP based on the newer guidelines. I don't buy it yet, because I think it's going to eventually swing back the other way, like so many recommendations before this.

Old 04-06-2019, 01:10 PM

1,874 posts, read 917,690 times
The whole idea of the guidelines is to make people aware of their blood pressure and the need to watch it more closely and therefore control it before it gets so high that they are at risk of heart attack or stroke.

If you want to wing it, go ahead, it's your life. I prefer to be aware and take action immediately, not wait until I'm in the grave, like my 55-year-old cousin who died of a heart attack last month. He had high cholesterol and hypertension, and he did nothing about it, refused to take a statin, refused to take a blood pressure medication.

Now he's dead at 55.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:15 PM

3,503 posts, read 2,062,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: This is a real mystery if one thinks about it long enough. And yes, so many millions on these drugs for HBP after maybe one or two readings in MD's office.

We've discussed this issue so much here and the latest is that sugars and not salts have been the culprits.
Reducing carbs and sugars dropped my BP. One of my thyroid meds increased it. Driving to my doctors office increases it (45 minutes in traffic).

When I take them at home, I take 3 readings a few minutes apart, and my machine averages them.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:15 PM

3,762 posts, read 1,111,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
While true, I really don't think anyone in the US runs a risk of having too little salt in their diet.
Sure they do, if they're on a low salt diet. Which is so often recommended.

Old 04-06-2019, 05:17 PM

3,762 posts, read 1,111,638 times
Quote:
That is ridiculous. Just another way to make sure everyone is on one drug or another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or