Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 07:06 AM

3,681 posts, read 2,382,449 times

Advertisements

There is water in certain foods.

You haven't stated the reason why your nutritionist suggested drinking this amount.

Everyone is different.

Yes, you can drink too much water.

It goes into cells and into the loo.

I drink about 3-4 liters per day, but often drink beers out on the town in a tropical climate and sweat and increase my sodium and potassium intake, plus the gym.

What is your situation as for lifestyle, diet, and hydration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 07:21 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,655,954 times
I exercise a lot and will drink about 100 oz of water. Even then I still make a lot of trips to the restroom. I can't imagine just drinking 100 oz without going for a 5 mile run in hot temperatures or something similar. On days I'm not exercising I usually drink about 64 oz, which I still feel is more than most people.

Observing family members, it seems the average person in my family drinks about 32-40 oz of water a day. I think 100 oz of water will have anyone going to the bathroom a lot.

Once your body is fully hydrated, and you notice you are peeing perfectly clear, I don't see the benefit of continuing to chug water. Plus, I'm not so sure that it is that great for your body.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:52 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,612,883 times
If I drank water when only thirsty I'd be so dehydrated...that's why so many are, they drink only when thirsty, I don't buy that one. I know some older folks from yrs back and drank only when thirsty and their urine was a bright yellow, I don't want that color. Pale yellow or almost clear works in my body.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,435,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
If I drank water when only thirsty I'd be so dehydrated...that's why so many are, they drink only when thirsty, I don't buy that one. I know some older folks from yrs back and drank only when thirsty and their urine was a bright yellow, I don't want that color. Pale yellow or almost clear works in my body.
There's probably some other issue you are not aware of if you are never thirsty, even when dehydrated.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:46 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,612,883 times
I never said I was never thirsty, if I eat some foods that are higher in sodium content, then there is more thirst. I sip water all day as I keep a bottle going in 4 areas of my apt. And a couple times a day I have a special drink that is drank with 8 oz of water so that is 16 oz right there.

Old 04-09-2019, 12:19 PM

10,301 posts, read 10,547,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Bright yellow urine is from vitamin B2; it just means you are excreting that vitamin. I do agree your urine should be a pale yellow color. Cloudy or darker color urine is a sign of dehydration, infection, or some other type of illness.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:44 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,823,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
If this is really true, I should be a dried up husk blowing away in the wind. I have one cup of coffee, 1-2 cups of tea, about 8 oz of iced tea, and MAYBE drink a 16 oz bottle of water, each day. I feel fine and have no health problems (in my early 60's). If anyone can explain what harm is being done to my body, I will be willing to listen. But at the first mention of "flushing out toxins", I'm outta here!!

Keep in mind what The Mayo Clinic page said:

"These recommendations cover fluids from water, other beverages and food. About 20 percent of daily fluid intake usually comes from food and the rest from drinks."

Old 04-10-2019, 02:07 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,545,371 times
I don't usually drink more than one or two glasses of water a day, but my food has a lot of liquid in it. I often eat a big pot of juicy stew and a pint of non-fat, plain yogurt. And I eat many fresh fruits and vegetables. I figure I take in about 80 to 90 oz. of liquid a day and I'm very active, with hard, athletic workouts. Sometimes, on a hot summer day, I'll drink more, as needed. And I keep my diet as low-sodium as possible. Perspiration reduces your number of bathroom trips.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,734,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I started drinking more water to meet the recommendation of my nutritionist. But now I feel like I am constantly running to the bathroom. The urge and frequency is ridiculous. I'm on about 100 ounces per day at her suggestion and it just seems like too much. Do you eventually get used to this?
Well of course you're running to the bathroom all day. You're drinking a TON of water!

Stop forcing yourself to drink more than you want to, and you'll stop needing the bathroom so often.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,303,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Well of course you're running to the bathroom all day. You're drinking a TON of water!

Stop forcing yourself to drink more than you want to, and you'll stop needing the bathroom so often.
Good advise.

OP: did your doctor suggest you see the nutritionist? If not, what made you decide to see one. I am not one one though that was my major in college, many years ago, but the amount you are drinking seems way over the top. Remember, as has been mentioned here already fluid comes from many sources. My husband has kidney problems and his urologist has never suggested he drink anywhere near that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness