Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 12:01 PM

243 posts, read 268,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You're supposed to get a tetanus booster every 10 years, oftener if you work with animals. The shot is no big deal - go get it and have some peace of mind.

An unvaccinated child recently got tetanus in Oregon.

"This child began developing symptoms six days after his accident. These included "episodes of crying, jaw clenching, and involuntary upper extremity muscle spasms, followed by arching of the neck and back (opisthotonus) and generalized spasticity," as described in the report. Then, he started having difficulty breathing, which prompted the parents to contact emergency medical services. To give you sense of the severity of his condition, he had to be airlifted to the hospital.

When he got to the hospital, he had spasms in his jaw muscles, otherwise known as trismus. Therefore, even though he was thirsty, he couldn't open his mouth to drink. Since he couldn't breathe on his own either, doctors had to sedate him, put a breathing tube down his throat, and connect him to a ventilator. They gave him 3,000 units of tetanus immune globulin, the diphtheria, tetanus, and acellular pertussis vaccine (DTaP), and antibiotics. A six-year-old on a mechanical ventilator is not a pleasant sight.

Things got worse before they got better. The neck and back arching got more severe. His heart began racing. He developed high blood pressure. His body temperature went up to 104.9° F. He continued to have muscle spasms. These situations necessitated various different medications and 44 days on the mechanical ventilator. During that time, he also couldn't eat or drink anything, relying on intravenous fluids and feeding.

Fortunately, modern medicine rescued the child. Tetanus can be deadly, with 13.2% of people who get tetanus not surviving.. But this boy survived and eventually returned to running and bicycling.

All told, this six-year-old was in the intensive care unit for 47 days, other parts of the hospital for 10 more days (for a total of 57 days in the hospital), and then at a rehabilitation center for 17 additional days. This was expensive as heck, resulting in $811,929 in hospital charges, which is much, much more than a vaccine costs. This sum did not even include other costs such as the air transport that was involved in getting him to the hospital in the first place, the stay in the rehabilitation center, and the follow-up that occurred in outpatient clinics.

Oh, guess what. After all of this happened, after seeing their child go through this ordeal, after hearing the doctors explain the risks and benefits of the tetanus vaccine, the child's family still refused to allow their child to get a second dose of the DTaP vaccine and any other recommended routine vaccine. Obviously, over $800K in medical costs and seeing their child on a ventilator was not enough to sway their minds."

Please be smarter than these parents. Get your tetanus shot.

Edited to add: Plus, do you really want to be the subject of a CD thread saying how a member was told to get a shot, didn't, was in ICU with a million dollar hospital bill and ended up being used as the next bad example?
Do I need to get the shot or booster? I had a shot a really long time ago and don’t remember getting any boosters in the last 10 years.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
Do I need to get the shot or booster? I had a shot a really long time ago and don’t remember getting any boosters in the last 10 years.
Your doctor will tell you which one you need, it'll probably be a booster. Whichever it is you still need to go to the doctor to get it and it's a minor nothing to worry about procedure.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:56 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's a myth that you get tetanus from rusty metal-- Tetanus is an anaerobic bug, so it's puncture wounds that seal themselves quickly, excluding air (with oxygen) from the inoculum that are the bigger problem-- particularly if the puncture was caused by something organic like a thorn or if a wound is contaminated with dirt- loaded with all sorts of bacteria like tetanus or anthrax.

The "tetanus booster every ten yrs" is a recommendation without any science to recommend it. Circulating levels of tetanus antibodies are next to zero just a yr or so after a vaccination, and nobody is brave enough to see how strong or effective the anamnestic response to a challenge with tetanus is in subjects yrs after their last shot.

Meanwhile, the lawyers insist everyone get a booster every ten yrs and at the time of any wound.
Well, what are the options? At least they aren't saying every 5 years...some things ya just gotta do even if the ROI doesn't quite work out...that is, unless you're willing to take the risk.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:13 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
You’ll get a TDaP - Tetanus, Diphtheria and pertussis (aka whooping cough). They’ll give you whatever dosage is appropriate based on what you’ve already had.

I’m actually going on Friday for the same thing. While immunity to the T and D part lasts 10 years, whether the P (pertussis) does is debatable. Since my last one was 8 years ago and I have my first grandchild on the way, I want to make sure I’m covered. Passing whooping cough to an infant can be fatal.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:21 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Like so many other things you have to weigh the risks for yourself. If I was someone who sat in a perfectly clean house every day doing nothing more risky than roaming the internet, never set foot into the uncontrollable bacteria-coated world outside maybe a tetanus booster would be superfluous. Frankly I'm not. I would much rather get a widely non-controversial (and apparently 100% effective) booster against a preventable infection and stop wondering, than rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills spending a month or more on a ventilator. Lying in a hospital full of sick folks until the effects of the toxin run their course isn't all that safe either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-10-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 01:26 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
OP, you already had a thread on this same subject. I am deleting your other thread but both told you the same thing. Please do not start duplicate threads.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:58 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
I made no recommendations about tetanus boosters in my previous post, only stated the "official" recommendations. The rate of symptomatic tetanus infection in the US is very low: 1 in 10 million people each year. (It is a bad infection if you get it with mortality 1 in 8 cases.)--but few people follow the recommendations about routine boosters, and the incidence is still rare.--it could be the boosters aren't doing much because the continued immunity from the first vaccine you get is good enough...And if you get a wound bad enough to seek medical attention, you should get the booster at that time.

death from tetanus -- 1 in 20,000,000 per yr
death in MVA-- 1 in 10,000 per yr.... that's 2000x more common than tetanus

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6012a1.htm

I used the word "booster" for poetic reasons-- the follow up shots are the same as the original. Most of us got dTP x 3 as young kids, then dT at age 9 & 15. Ten or more yrs later, if you ask for additional shots, you'll probably get dT again, just because the doc's office stocks that anyway and doesn't want an additional, rarely used med that will go bad before it's used up taking up space in the fridge.

Old 04-10-2019, 01:59 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Will I develop tetanus because of this event?..
No, you won't.

At age 25 you should easily be avoiding shots to the head like this. Next time, duck!

Old 04-10-2019, 02:43 PM

243 posts, read 268,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You’ll get a TDaP - Tetanus, Diphtheria and pertussis (aka whooping cough). They’ll give you whatever dosage is appropriate based on what you’ve already had.

I’m actually going on Friday for the same thing. While immunity to the T and D part lasts 10 years, whether the P (pertussis) does is debatable. Since my last one was 8 years ago and I have my first grandchild on the way, I want to make sure I’m covered. Passing whooping cough to an infant can be fatal.
Yeah I got the TDaP shot at the pharmacy. It was a booster shot.

I also wanted the TD shot but I’m only able to get one shot they said

I told the pharmacist that I got my first tetanus shot when I was a child like 20 years ago and don’t remember taking any booster shots in the last 10 years unless I had one back in high school which I can’t remember

I hope I won’t get tetanus after hitting my head on a rusted door hinge

Old 04-10-2019, 03:02 PM

233 posts, read 155,441 times
No blood, no need.......sorry you got so much fear......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness