U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:06 PM

3,371 posts, read 2,254,155 times

Advertisements

Here is a comparison of the nutrition of Bulgar wheat vs Avocado. I can give other examples as necessary.

1 Cup of Cooked Bulgar
151 calories
Total Carbohydrate 33.8g
8 grams of fiber
6 grams protein
0.5 grams fat
1 milligram manganese (55 percent)
58 milligrams magnesium (15 percent)
7 milligrams iron (10 percent)
8 milligrams niacin (9 percent)
0.2 milligrams vitamin B6 (8 percent)

1 Cup of Avacado
Total Fat 21 g 32%
Saturated fat 3.1 g 15%
Polyunsaturated fat 2.7 g
Monounsaturated fat 14 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 10 mg 0%
Potassium 708 mg 20%
Total Carbohydrate 12 g 4%
Dietary fiber 10 g 40%
Sugar 1 g
Protein 2.9 g 5%
Vitamin A 4%
Vitamin C 24%
Calcium 1%
Iron 4%
Vitamin B-6 20%
Magnesium 10%

You may want to take a look at the figure for Fiber. That ought to tell you something. So much for the nutrient and fiber powerhouse of grains? If you need more minerals, spinach provides quite a few and almost no carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 02:14 PM

832 posts, read 703,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
This post was never about weight loss. I eat whatever I want and never got fat.

LOL...it's like playing telephone...it just kind of morphs into something else....but usually carbs do "fall" into the weight loss category.

We eat how we do because we did need to lose some weight, we now exercise also, but it's more for getting healthy. I went from being on oxycodone for pain to no medication except diet, vitamins and now CBD oil for sleep and some other issues. Hubby had 3 kidney surgeries due to kidney stones, so now he has to eat low oxalate, so that eliminates some foods.

Getting healthy and avoiding chronic disease is what everyone should focus on no matter what they eat. Also have the best ingredients, even if it is dessert and a "normal" diet. That's what's important.

We do occasional eat potato a few times a year in tiny amounts. Same with rice, and some gluten free pasta. I'll treat myself to an occasional dessert- so I need to be picky and determine if it's worth it. Some times yes, sometimes no. Try to save the junk for a special evening out.

A special diet is hard and it all depends on how much effect you are willing to devote to it and what you are willing to do. That's with anything.

LoL ...so you are the type of person who doesn't gain weight and can eat everything huh? You know everyone hates you, right???

Best wishes to you and happy eating.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:53 PM

15,412 posts, read 17,374,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
ROFL

Turnips and carrots are not high in starches.
You are correct, my mistake.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:08 PM

4,026 posts, read 1,156,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
LOL...it's like playing telephone...it just kind of morphs into something else....but usually carbs do "fall" into the weight loss category.

We eat how we do because we did need to lose some weight, we now exercise also, but it's more for getting healthy. I went from being on oxycodone for pain to no medication except diet, vitamins and now CBD oil for sleep and some other issues. Hubby had 3 kidney surgeries due to kidney stones, so now he has to eat low oxalate, so that eliminates some foods.

Getting healthy and avoiding chronic disease is what everyone should focus on no matter what they eat. Also have the best ingredients, even if it is dessert and a "normal" diet. That's what's important.

We do occasional eat potato a few times a year in tiny amounts. Same with rice, and some gluten free pasta. I'll treat myself to an occasional dessert- so I need to be picky and determine if it's worth it. Some times yes, sometimes no. Try to save the junk for a special evening out.

A special diet is hard and it all depends on how much effect you are willing to devote to it and what you are willing to do. That's with anything.

LoL ...so you are the type of person who doesn't gain weight and can eat everything huh? You know everyone hates you, right???

Best wishes to you and happy eating.
No, I am not that type of person. It's only because I walk, or bicycle or something, every day. Since I was a kid, I always loved exercise and being outdoors. There were several years when I was in my 20s that I didn't exercise, because no one else did. It was not in style so I followed everyone's bad example. I was out of shape, got tired walking up one flight of stairs. Not real fat but enough to not look good. Smoked cigarettes, just like everyone else.

Eventually realized I have to do what is good for me, not what everyone else does.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:10 PM

I like turnips and carrots and parsnips and potatoes. Takes a long time to cook though, so you have to think ahead. And I don't like to think ahead about food, for some reason.

But I think tomorrow I will get some of those, and stay away from whole wheat pasta for a while.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:07 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,266,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
ALL humans work this way. ALL humans have spikes in blood sugar and ALL humans require insulin to keep it under control. NOT all carbs spike blood sugar and are not all a concern. All foods except meat and fat contain carbohydrates so obviously they are not all a concern. Vegetables DO NOT spike blood sugar, even root vegetables like onions and carrots. They are low on the glycemic index. Carbs are not all to be taken at face value. Fiber is a carb and does not affect blood sugar at all. Fruits will spike blood sugar but believe it or not do not require insulin to process. Many people do not realize this. Fruits and fructose are processed in the liver.

Grains DO spike blood sugar and provoke an insulin response, therefore any nutritional benefits and fiber are negated and not worth it. Why? because you can get the same nutrients and fiber from vegetables and grains are not the nutritional powerhouses people make them out to be. That's just more food pyramid BS that I don't fall for. Many grains have to be processed in order to be consumed, you wouldn't be able to digest them otherwise. This process removes a lot of nutrients in many cases and just makes them another processed food, then the nutrients are actually added back in as in the case of bread. Wholesome grains is hogwash! they are not wholesome, we can do better than that.
There are PLENTY of people who do just fine eating those insulin spiking foods. Plus the benefits are worth it for those people like me. I want those nutrients and fiber.
You have a very myopic view. People from around the world have zero problem eating grains. You fail to understand that not everyone needs to eat the way you think they should.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
There are PLENTY of people who do just fine eating those insulin spiking foods. Plus the benefits are worth it for those people like me. I want those nutrients and fiber.
You have a very myopic view. People from around the world have zero problem eating grains. You fail to understand that not everyone needs to eat the way you think they should.
There are people who have extremely strict ideas about nutrition. No grains, no dairy, no meat. Maybe it does make you healthier, but it would take a lot of time and money and thought.

I did a strict diet for a while, trying to get rid of an allergy. It had no effect at all. My diet might even have been less healthy than now, because it was so restricted.

Now I just try to vary it. I did this whole wheat pasta thing for a while, and I do like it. But I should probably switch to something else for a while.

Old 04-15-2019, 08:18 PM

5,210 posts, read 6,266,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
There are people who have extremely strict ideas about nutrition. No grains, no dairy, no meat. Maybe it does make you healthier, but it would take a lot of time and money and thought.

I did a strict diet for a while, trying to get rid of an allergy. It had no effect at all. My diet might even have been less healthy than now, because it was so restricted.

Now I just try to vary it. I did this whole wheat pasta thing for a while, and I do like it. But I should probably switch to something else for a while.
As long as you are adding nutritious foods to your pasta like veggies, lean proteins and healthy fats there is no reason you need to give up something you enjoy that is healthy. If whole wheat pasta is your thing enjoy.
On eating healthy everyone has an opinion. All you really need to do is listen to your body. Also common sense tells us that highly processed foods are not good for us. And neither is fast food.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 AM

3,371 posts, read 2,254,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
I did address this point directly. If you chose to ignore, that's your prerogative. The same "benefits" you keep mentioning, nutrients and fiber can be gotten from vegetables and at less of cost to health. As in NO insulin spike and as a result, no weight gain. Some vegetables have more nutrients and fiber than grains and just because we are recommended 7 to 11 servings per day of grains, does not mean we need to be eating them. As proof (and I keep repeating this), look at the current state of health in this country. Is the food pyramid working? And I'm not talking about anecdotal evidence, you may be in perfect health, not overweight and just fine with grains. I speak in broader terms.

Old 04-16-2019, 11:31 AM

10,605 posts, read 9,920,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I did address this point directly. If you chose to ignore, that's your prerogative. The same "benefits" you keep mentioning, nutrients and fiber can be gotten from vegetables and at less of cost to health. As in NO insulin spike and as a result, no weight gain. Some vegetables have more nutrients and fiber than grains and just because we are recommended 7 to 11 servings per day of grains, does not mean we need to be eating them. As proof (and I keep repeating this), look at the current state of health in this country. Is the food pyramid working? And I'm not talking about anecdotal evidence, you may be in perfect health, not overweight and just fine with grains. I speak in broader terms.
The current state of health in this country has nothing to do with the food pyramid. People don't even follow that. The servings sizes of the food pyramid are rather small...do you actually think that people follow it? Heck, while some people know that it's shaped like a triangle, there are many who don't even understand it. People aren't getting fat because they eat a potato. The American populace is fat because many people eat out, consume huge portions, heap gobs of fatty sauces on their food...I can go on and on. There are those who have legit issues when it comes to weight gain, but from my common observance, it's huge portions and too many of the wrong foods (tons of refined carbs, crappy fats, etc etc) that's doing people in. Not bulgur wheat, rice, or whatever.

As anecdotal as it may be, neither me nor my family nor my friends have any insulin issues despite eating rice, potatoes, and grains. I doubt that we are outliers. Because we eat smaller portions and work out, we're doing ok.

And while an avocado is fiber rich and satisfying, I wouldn't make that claim for many vegetables, despite my love of them. If I ate just meat and vegetables with no accompanying starch (be it root vegetables, rice, or grians) I'd be hungry a couple of hours later. I eat a bag of broccoli with my meal and I can tell you, despite its 4g of fiber, it doesn't really fill me up since vegetables are mostly water. When I pair my meal with all three macros, I have a meal that lasts for hours, until the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness