U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 PM

7,068 posts, read 7,994,535 times

Advertisements

Generally, younger people - under age 45 to 50 - tolerate carbs better than older people, but not always. At age 66, you are not in the younger group. As we age, we tend to put on weight and our digestive systems are less efficient.

Only you can best answer your own question - does your family have a history of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, obesity? One thing you may wish to be on the lookout for is a gradual weight gain around the middle (waistline expansion). That would be a definite sign that you should cut back on the carbs. Your waist measurement should be no more than half your height, in inches. As long as your waist stays slim, the carbs won't hurt you.

Also be aware of nutrition. Even whole wheat pasta does not contain many nutrients. Every empty calorie will replace one that could be nutritious. I have found that the least expensive protein foods are eggs, dairy, tuna, and ground beef. As we age, we need more protein, calcium, and magnesium, which those foods provide. Try a cup of cottage cheese with fruit, or a burger with sliced tomatoes, or a tuna melt with cheddar. They're all very inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 PM

6,436 posts, read 1,594,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Does anyone here think it's a bad mistake to eat a lot of carbs? I am not talking about worrying about getting fat because I exercise and I don't worry about that. I am talking about health in general.

I would rather be on the paleo diet but that is expensive and too much trouble, because I don't like spending a lot of time cooking.

And at least it's whole wheat.

Carbs are bad. Whole wheat is slightly better than processed white flour but still bad.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM

730 posts, read 215,953 times
Carbs are fantastic! I hope to never, ever, ever, ever have to go without them. They are delicious and delightful! <doing the 'I eat carbs and I love them' dance!>

I lost 30 pounds on a high carb, low fat diet back about 20 years ago. And kept it off. So there! Woo hoo!

These days I focus on protein, and as a result my carbs are a bit more moderate (150ish/day). But if I even try to ditch carbs completely, I turn into a raging lunatic. Seriously. Apparently it's not too uncommon either, because I was warned about it.

Gimme some carbs! (Mexican for dinner tonight - chips, salsa, and tacos!)

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

3,895 posts, read 1,129,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Generally, younger people - under age 45 to 50 - tolerate carbs better than older people, but not always. At age 66, you are not in the younger group. As we age, we tend to put on weight and our digestive systems are less efficient.

Only you can best answer your own question - does your family have a history of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, obesity? One thing you may wish to be on the lookout for is a gradual weight gain around the middle (waistline expansion). That would be a definite sign that you should cut back on the carbs. Your waist measurement should be no more than half your height, in inches. As long as your waist stays slim, the carbs won't hurt you.

Also be aware of nutrition. Even whole wheat pasta does not contain many nutrients. Every empty calorie will replace one that could be nutritious. I have found that the least expensive protein foods are eggs, dairy, tuna, and ground beef. As we age, we need more protein, calcium, and magnesium, which those foods provide. Try a cup of cottage cheese with fruit, or a burger with sliced tomatoes, or a tuna melt with cheddar. They're all very inexpensive.
I agree that it's better to have more protein and less carbs. And I definitely try to have a lot of protein.

Unlike most old Americans I don't think about weight at all. I have been doing moderate exercise every day all my life, so my metabolism isn't all screwed up.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM

So I guess not everyone is the same. When I don't get enough protein I can feel it.

I wish I knew of a healthier calorie source than whole wheat pasta that's as cheap and convenient. Not beans.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

7,068 posts, read 7,994,535 times
Quote:

I wish I knew of a healthier calorie source than whole wheat pasta that's as cheap and convenient. Not beans.
Try Quaker Oatmeal. No wheat, no gluten, low glycemic, made of whole oats, full of fiber. Oh - and very inexpensive!

Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM

5,191 posts, read 6,254,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Carbs are bad. Whole wheat is slightly better than processed white flour but still bad.
NO, they aren't.

Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM

5,191 posts, read 6,254,079 times
Quote:
So I guess not everyone is the same. When I don't get enough protein I can feel it.

Try quinoa or faro. Both have protein and fiber. You can cook it up and then make salads with them. I love faro for its chewy texture.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Try quinoa or faro. Both have protein and fiber. You can cook it up and then make salads with them. I love faro for its chewy texture.
I don't think you can cook them in 7 minutes like you can pasta.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Try Quaker Oatmeal. No wheat, no gluten, low glycemic, made of whole oats, full of fiber. Oh - and very inexpensive!
But it might not taste too good with Mexican cheese and tomatoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness