U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 10:00 AM

5,193 posts, read 6,256,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I don't think you can cook them in 7 minutes like you can pasta.
Why do you need them to cook so quickly? You can cook them ahead of time and then build a bowl with some veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 10:49 AM

113 posts, read 25,715 times
Quote:
Yes, I know it's better than refined carbs, which have no nutrition except empty calories. That's why I get whole wheat. But of course we've all heard that gluten can be bad for a lot of people. I have also heard that grains aren't so good, even if whole.

I had avoided gluten for one whole year, and felt no different. So I don't think I have any problem with gluten.

And I'm not eating boatloads of whole wheat pasta, but I've had it almost every day for a couple of weeks. I didn't get tired of it yet because I make various things with it.
I want to clear up something about "gluten-free" that unfortunately has spread thru this country like an out of control forest fire. 93% of our population can not only consume gluten but actually benefit from it nutritionally. Only 1% of the population is gluten intolerant and 6% are gluten sensitive. Unfortunately mass marketing and their misinformation has put fear into a great many of Americans who now think gluten is bad.
As for carbs, the best carbs are always "whole grain", a package saying whole wheat is not the same. Look for whole grain pasta, we buy ancient grains pasta which is whole grain.....again read labels as all brands are not the same. Corporations trick consumers into thinking they are buying healthy, when in fact that product may be no healthier than plain white pasta.
And don't rely on just pasta, variety in your diet is far better than eating just a few different types foods. Nutrition varies with each food, with a wide variety it will be so much easier to get your body's nutritional needs met.
Good luck and good health to you!

Old 04-11-2019, 11:57 AM

10,590 posts, read 9,904,789 times
No, I don't think it's a bad idea. It's all about balance.

I eat carbs every single day. I eat jasmine and basmati rice, different types of pastas, all types of potatoes.

Carbs, specifically complex carbs, provide nutrition. Why does one think otherwise?

This anti-carb thing sounds exactly like the anti-fat thing and look where it got us. How about eat all macros (unless medically not able to do so) in moderate amounts?

Old 04-11-2019, 12:21 PM

3,280 posts, read 1,417,046 times
I think there is some truth that our modern grains are toxic to us. See "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD.) But what I don't get about the Paleo "ancestral" diets, is the fact that humans have always consumed starches in the forms of various tubers. They have constituted many indigenous people's mainstay for eons.

I don't know who this gal is, but she is making the point of starch in ancient diets:

https://www.foodrenegade.com/for-the-love-of-tubers/

Old 04-11-2019, 01:10 PM

22,296 posts, read 7,559,874 times
Besides the fact that I cannot do the strenuous exercise I did MOST of my life, I have to cut out foods I believe will put extra weight on me and I feel a long life of carbs/sugars did a lot of damage to my teeth and a lot of dental work to prove that, but now staying out of dental chairs and I think the foods I eat have helped me there. I get some carbs but avoid many. This is what I feel works for me.

Nothing like a juicy hamburger with the works to give me a lift.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-11-2019 at 01:22 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 03:06 PM

3,351 posts, read 2,243,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I think there is some truth that our modern grains are toxic to us. See "Wheat Belly" by William Davis, MD.) But what I don't get about the Paleo "ancestral" diets, is the fact that humans have always consumed starches in the forms of various tubers. They have constituted many indigenous people's mainstay for eons.

I don't know who this gal is, but she is making the point of starch in ancient diets:

https://www.foodrenegade.com/for-the-love-of-tubers/
Starches in the past were not full of pesticides which may be a cause of allergies and other health problems. As for them causing issues like weight gain and elevated blood sugar, exercise played the biggest part in preventing that. I'm sure humans in the past were on their feet most of the time. By the way, I got some kind of alert when clicking on your link. There is apparently a redirect to a malicious site within the site you provided.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:55 PM

15,365 posts, read 17,347,058 times
I wish I could afford a low carb diet at hhis time. I have done it and thrived on it, but right now, as a seasonal worker (wilderness guide) at a low compensation rate, I am relying on baking whole wheat loaves a few times a week just to save money, aiming at a ~$25 per week food budget.

4 cups of whole wheat flour (one loaf) provides me with about 1200 calories a day, 4 days a week. Add butter and I am not starving. the other 3-4 days a week I eat fresh vegetables and tuna, salmon, chicken thighs, or ground beef so I have pretty well rounded nutrition. One or two days a week or so I eat a restaurant (Indian buffet for the win) or fast food meal.

I feel like high energy expenditure makes up for a lot of nutritional faults, i.e. high carb, as long as you have a low glycemic load from not consuming too many simple sugars and low fiber.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:46 PM

201 posts, read 37,806 times
What is the difference between carbs and starches! What foods contain carbs and which foods contain starches I need to know the difference. And do both of these make you fat

Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM

3,903 posts, read 1,133,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Besides the fact that I cannot do the strenuous exercise I did MOST of my life, I have to cut out foods I believe will put extra weight on me and I feel a long life of carbs/sugars did a lot of damage to my teeth and a lot of dental work to prove that, but now staying out of dental chairs and I think the foods I eat have helped me there. I get some carbs but avoid many. This is what I feel works for me.

Nothing like a juicy hamburger with the works to give me a lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I wish I could afford a low carb diet at hhis time. I have done it and thrived on it, but right now, as a seasonal worker (wilderness guide) at a low compensation rate, I am relying on baking whole wheat loaves a few times a week just to save money, aiming at a ~$25 per week food budget.

4 cups of whole wheat flour (one loaf) provides me with about 1200 calories a day, 4 days a week. Add butter and I am not starving. the other 3-4 days a week I eat fresh vegetables and tuna, salmon, chicken thighs, or ground beef so I have pretty well rounded nutrition. One or two days a week or so I eat a restaurant (Indian buffet for the win) or fast food meal.

I feel like high energy expenditure makes up for a lot of nutritional faults, i.e. high carb, as long as you have a low glycemic load from not consuming too many simple sugars and low fiber.
I think so also, or I hope so. I don't like to stress about food. Anyway, the nutrition experts don't agree on what we should eat. We have to find out for ourselves if there is something that makes us feel bad.

If I had refined carbs in the day I know I would be tired soon. The whole wheat pasta has not been making me tired, so maybe it is really whole wheat (I have not yet gotten my magnifying glass to read the ingredients).

Old 04-11-2019, 06:16 PM
Status: "Whiny hipster SoyBeto for POTUS" (set 10 days ago)

16,053 posts, read 16,122,130 times
Quote:
Do you know about how long it would take to crash and burn, if someone was going to?

So far I'm ok. I have enough energy, haven't noticed any problems. But it's only a couple of weeks.

I might get really sick of whole wheat pasta eventually though.

But I always found when trying to limit carbs that it was hard to get enough calories without spending too much money.

I tried having beans every day, but I get tired of them really fast.

I would, for the most part, do exactly what you are doing.........gauge how well the diet works
according to how I felt. I would be careful to make sure i got a varied enough diet to fulfill my
micronutrient needs. If doing high-carb, I would probably buy a cheapo glucometer and do occasional checks of my blood-sugar, at various times......after meals and upon waking would be 2 good indicators of how well your body is processing all those carbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness