Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Too many carbohydrate make you fat (along with calories) because your body converts them to sugar, and therefore releases insulin. Insulin makes you fat.

https://idmprogram.com/insulin-cause...al-obesity-iv/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...mones#section4
Carbs don't make you fat. Over eating does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 01:43 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Too many carbohydrate make you fat (along with calories) because your body converts them to sugar, and therefore releases insulin. Insulin makes you fat.

https://idmprogram.com/insulin-cause...al-obesity-iv/

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...mones#section4
then explain why several societies (somehow other than ours) have a higher carb diet yet no weight problems?

it's not "along with calories" it's calories, period. Excess calories means weight gain.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:29 PM

8,215 posts, read 3,413,884 times
I guess I was really thinking about complex carbohydrates, like whole wheat, as an inexpensive and convenient way to get enough calories. This post was not meant to be about dieting for losing weight.

Most cultures have a carbohydrate staple of some kind, like potatoes or rice or wheat, etc.

I have read that primitive hunter/gatherers were much healthier, in general, than ancient agricultural people. Maybe because the hunter/gatherers didn't have a lot of carbohydrates.

Of course I want to be healthy but I don't want to agonize over everything I eat. Still not sure about it all.

Paleo would be very expensive and inconvenient. Otherwise I would do that.

Old 04-12-2019, 02:43 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Too many carbs DO make you fat. If the LACK of carbs makes you lose fat, the opposite is true. Simple logic. Do low carb diets work? Can anybody actually deny that?

A note on the whole grain thing, if it's 51% whole grain it can legally be called that. Doesn't mean it's all whole grain. More BS from the food industry. As for whole wheat bread being better than white, only marginally better in EVERY respect.

Fact is, whole wheat bread (like white) has very little nutrition, most is stripped away. It has to be fortified with synthetic vitamins and minerals.

Quote:
In line with common sense, we advise manufacturers to use the words “whole grain” in the name of a product only if the product contains more whole grain than refined grain (i.e., 51% or more of the grain is whole grain).
https://wholegrainscouncil.org/resou...nment-guidance

Old 04-12-2019, 03:30 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,834,647 times
All of these fad type diets come and go. A new one comes along and everybody talks about how great it is and yet our society keeps getting more and more obese. Low/No carb diets has been one of the fads in recent years. I think it is silly for the most part. The science behind losing weight and keeping it off or never gaining it in the first place is actually pretty simple. It is really the calories that matter (the amount of energy potential in a food). If you consume more fuel (potential energy) than your body uses, it stores it as fat. So to maintain a weight you need to balance the fuel you consume and the amount you use. To lose weight you need to either consume less fuel or burn more to tip the balance. So simply put, eat less volume of food or eat foods with less energy (calories) or be more active or exercise, or a combination of the two. It really is just that simple.

The real reason low carb diets work is not because you aren't consuming carbs. It is because you are inadvertently also reducing your calorie intake. Many people when they enter into a low carb diet, also cut back on other things such as snacks and drinks throughout the day which is what results in their largest calorie reduction. They also make an effort to be more active. So it is really the effort of changing diet, being aware of what they consume and a little activity that results in the weight loss. They then go tell everybody how they lost weight "just by cutting out carbs" when in reality it is the reduction in calories along with some activity.

Old 04-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
All of these fad type diets come and go. A new one comes along and everybody talks about how great it is and yet our society keeps getting more and more obese. Low/No carb diets has been one of the fads in recent years. I think it is silly for the most part. The science behind losing weight and keeping it off or never gaining it in the first place is actually pretty simple. It is really the calories that matter (the amount of energy potential in a food). If you consume more fuel (potential energy) than your body uses, it stores it as fat. So to maintain a weight you need to balance the fuel you consume and the amount you use. To lose weight you need to either consume less fuel or burn more to tip the balance. So simply put, eat less volume of food or eat foods with less energy (calories) or be more active or exercise, or a combination of the two. It really is just that simple.

The real reason low carb diets work is not because you aren't consuming carbs. It is because you are inadvertently also reducing your calorie intake. Many people when they enter into a low carb diet, also cut back on other things such as snacks and drinks throughout the day which is what results in their largest calorie reduction. They also make an effort to be more active. So it is really the effort of changing diet, being aware of what they consume and a little activity that results in the weight loss. They then go tell everybody how they lost weight "just by cutting out carbs" when in reality it is the reduction in calories along with some activity.
This

Old 04-12-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I guess I was really thinking about complex carbohydrates, like whole wheat, as an inexpensive and convenient way to get enough calories. This post was not meant to be about dieting for losing weight.

Most cultures have a carbohydrate staple of some kind, like potatoes or rice or wheat, etc.

I have read that primitive hunter/gatherers were much healthier, in general, than ancient agricultural people. Maybe because the hunter/gatherers didn't have a lot of carbohydrates.

Of course I want to be healthy but I don't want to agonize over everything I eat. Still not sure about it all.

Paleo would be very expensive and inconvenient. Otherwise I would do that.
Well the hunter gatherers lived until their 30's or 40's so maybe they weren't so healthy. It's a romantic notion to think they are the health ideal. But that is just flawed thinking. People who follow the paleo diet or no more healthy than people who eat from all the food groups.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

What you said here is all a myth. I keep seeing this and it is false. Eating a lot of refined carbs throughout the day causes energy spikes and crashes. It can lead to metabolic syndrome and eventually diabetes 2.

Refined sugar can actually be addictive, because of the highs and lows. The body's natural appetite mechanisms can stop working correctly.

It would be very hard to become obese just by eating healthy natural food.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Well the hunter gatherers lived until their 30's or 40's so maybe they weren't so healthy. It's a romantic notion to think they are the health ideal. But that is just flawed thinking. People who follow the paleo diet or no more healthy than people who eat from all the food groups.
That is another myth, completely misleading. We should not try to live naturally, because the people who lived naturally dropped dead at 30 or 40.

NOT TRUE.

It is natural for a large percentage of babies to die, in any species. This is nature's not very nice way of keeping species healthy.

Modern medicine has made it possible for most babies to survive, partly because of antibiotics.

Therefore, the average lifespan increased dramatically in the mid 20th century.

NOT because our species became healthier, but because babies aren't dying like they used to.

So every time anyone says the primitive lifestyle was healthier, someone says what you just said.

This myth is used to promote the unhealthy modern lifestyle with all the pollution and harmful drugs. Well, if the modern lifestyle is so unhealthy, why do we live so much longer?

Our lives are longer, but definitely not healthier. There are several reasons why we live longer, the main one being low infant mortality. Also, no one is sure how long prehistoric people lived.

The more natural your diet and lifestyle is, the better. The modern industrial lifestyle is terribly unhealthy. And it is possible to live a long time in terrible health.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:04 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,220,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
That is another myth, completely misleading. We should not try to live naturally, because the people who lived naturally dropped dead at 30 or 40.

NOT TRUE.

It is natural for a large percentage of babies to die, in any species. This is nature's not very nice way of keeping species healthy.

Modern medicine has made it possible for most babies to survive, partly because of antibiotics.

Therefore, the average lifespan increased dramatically in the mid 20th century.

NOT because our species became healthier, but because babies aren't dying like they used to.

So every time anyone says the primitive lifestyle was healthier, someone says what you just said.

This myth is used to promote the unhealthy modern lifestyle with all the pollution and harmful drugs. Well, if the modern lifestyle is so unhealthy, why do we live so much longer?

Our lives are longer, but definitely not healthier. There are several reasons why we live longer, the main one being low infant mortality. Also, no one is sure how long prehistoric people lived.

The more natural your diet and lifestyle is, the better. The modern industrial lifestyle is terribly unhealthy. And it is possible to live a long time in terrible health.
Speaking of MYTHS.....here is one that you propagate every chance you get despite how many times you have been corrected regarding the fallacy of your belief....

Lifespan has increased markedly in the past 70 years.....from an average of 61 years worldwide in 1950 to an average of 75 years in 2015....those are worldwide figures so there will be variability from country to country

Still a 14 year increase over the past 70 years is significant...

The other significant factor on this data.....it is based on the expected lifespan of a 10 year old in 1950 versus a 10 year old today.....

Which means these improvements in lifespan have NOTHING to do with infant mortality.....

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/l...untry=OWID_WRL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness