Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM

454 posts, read 448,145 times

Advertisements

I"m a male. A few days ago I got this pain and still have it now. I do not recall if i first noticed it when waking up in the morning or it was during the day or at night. Basically imagine you are changing pants or underwear while standing up. I got this pain about 6 inches above my kneecap when i lift my leg up to change pants and its very painful. I then tried to do this with my other leg and I got the same exact issue. So right now the only way for me to have less pain when changing underwear or shorts or jeans is to switch it while sitting on my bed.

When im walking straight, there is no pain. However i do feel that after walking a bit, some pressure is being put on one side. Now when im walking up the stairs... which requires you to lift your legs up, i have incredible pain when doing this. Also imagine you are just walking from outside to a door where there is like a bump on the floor where you have to lift you leg up a bit. I get a lot of pain from that.

Does anyone know what in the world this is? I didn't have an injury that suddenly caused this.

The only thing i could think of was even though i sit on a chair all day on a computer, the difference was i think my chair was too low. Im about 5'8 and normally when im sitting on a chair, the chair has it where is the rights spot where my feet are relaxed and looking at computer. But when i was sitting on a different chair which i didnt think until recently, i thought could it be possible the chair was a bit low so thats why i have the pain now?

The other thing was the last week or so, when i took a very quick shower, few times i did not wipe myself first with a towel before putting on my boxers and shorts and then a t shirt. That is what i wear when i go to sleep. Thus i wore the clothes right after a shower and well i still have water on me. However i usually did not go to sleep right after a shower. I might have did one time, but each time i did this, i would get back on the computer for a while. So after that, surely it would have dried right?

Does anyone know what this is and know what i should do/not do? I did have to walk a lot yesterday because i flew outside the country and did lot of walking yesterday. But the walking does not hurt. Its just when i have to lift my leg up, is when its pain. Imagine you having luggage and having to lift it up on the sidewalk a bit. That is very painful. Lifting it up on the stairs when walking up the apartment... that was a lot of pain.

Now if im sitting down on chair while using computer now or lying on the bed, if i move the area of my legs below my kneecap, there doesn't seem to be any pain. Its the area above it. Did i tore something? But i didn't fall or anything at all. What is strange is its both legs i have this pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 04:58 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
OP: Our bodies are full of mysteries. I wouldn't worry about it, for me I shake things out, stretch out my ole body and keep moving. I live with so much OA body pain, so a little more here and there doesn't mean a thing in my life. You may have twisted things or like so many of us wear and tear rearing it's head. I certainly would not run to a doctor and I'm sure some will tell you to do that. You say, very painful. Really that painful? Massage the area, use a topical oil or ointment...could be a strain.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-10-2019 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-10-2019, 05:14 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
The body seems fine coping with misalignments for years, then we reach a certain age and it talks back to us,"I can't compensate anymore, I give up, fix me."
Orthodics could be the first choice as a fix to align the knees from the bottom up...etc.
$20 Walkfits found online are equivalent to $4-700 orthodics or Good Feet. Trust me, I know.
A visit to a DO or chiro to assess the feet, muscles, knees and then the hips...would be my next step....get it...step....LOL.
It is prob an easy fix.
No, you did not tear anything...not on both sides. You would feel immediately if you
tore something or even over extended or strained a tendon.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:04 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
I am not a doctor and I can't diagnose you.

One common cause of pain around the location you describe is the fascia, the thin layer of connective tissue covering the muscles, adhering where it's not supposed to.

If you have access to a roller, you can try using it all around the painful area in hopes the fascia comes "unstuck."

But you really should see your doctor.

Old 04-10-2019, 09:52 PM

I don't have a roller.

I only have this pain when im doing those movements with my leg where im using the top portion of my leg.. the upper part above the kneecap. If im walking, there is no issue. But if i have to lift my legs up... thus walk up stairs or just changing my underwear, jeans or shorts, there is pain. I have to switch underwear and shorts and pants by sitting on my bed.

Well i suddenly got it few days ago. I dont know what caused it. But does those examples i posted above... could any of those have caused it?

So what should i do or not do now? Do less walking? Don't walk up or down stairs as much? The issue is if i have to lift up my leg even a bit... imagine walking on the street and having to lift up my leg because of a crack on the street, there is pain doing so.

The thing that i feel strange is i feel also some pain on my shoulders as well now. But maybe that nervousness caused that?

Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM

Don't stop walking. You said not much pain when walking. I wonder how old you are, I'm guessing pretty young and as I've said above a lot of strange aches and pains hit our bodies in our lifetimes.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:58 PM

Im in my 30s. This happened about a week ago or so. Suddenly i have lot of pain when lifting up my leg when trying to switch underwear, shorts, jeans or just walking up the stairs. I am sitting on my bed when changing underwear and pants because if i do that, only the lower part of my leg below the kneecap moves and i dont have to move the area above my kneecap. The pain is above my kneecap... its like same area on my both legs. But do any of the things i mention as possible causes can cause this?

What can i do now? I usually am sitting on a chair while on computer almost all day. But this just suddenly happened. I didn't injure myself or anything.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post
Im in my 30s. This happened about a week ago or so. Suddenly i have lot of pain when lifting up my leg when trying to switch underwear, shorts, jeans or just walking up the stairs. I am sitting on my bed when changing underwear and pants because if i do that, only the lower part of my leg below the kneecap moves and i dont have to move the area above my kneecap. The pain is above my kneecap... its like same area on my both legs. But do any of the things i mention as possible causes can cause this?

What can i do now? I usually am sitting on a chair while on computer almost all day. But this just suddenly happened. I didn't injure myself or anything.
Well you could go to a doctor and open up a large can of worms and go on and on and on. Or perhaps that pain who feel at certain times will get less and less and then none. Or learning to live with it. And do some massage, topicals and even some otc pain med from time to time.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 04-11-2019 at 02:20 PM..

Old 04-11-2019, 02:23 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,310,540 times
Try to see your GP about this. If you have hot water bottle try to see if heat brings pain relief wrap hot bottle in cloth to diffuse heat. If heat does not work you can also try icepack, again wrap in cloth do not apply icepack straight to skin, see if it numbs it a bit. Vicks Vaporub helps for some pain relief or a mix of vaseline with eucalyptus essential oil.
There are sites like WebMD and Mayoclinic to look for information on knee leg issues.
Go to www.reddit.com/r/AskDocs and ask there with the text you posted here. Many people get good advice there.
Hope this helps and try not to lift anything too heavy until you know what it is. Pain is warning something is wrong.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:36 PM

Oh heck, my grandkids 22 and 19 are both athletic and have enough pain already for their young years. Their mother has taken them for some chiro work, DO bodywork and other alternative therapies but for them already it's wear and tear.

It's true the Vicks is a good analgesic and I use it too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness