Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 04:05 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,238,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It makes no sense, there are literally millions of doctors, and if you say you can't find one you trust, then perhaps once should look inward.
Agreed, I don't think I will ever understand why people use absolutes like "all" and "every" when talking about anything, be it healthcare, politics, sports, food, the colors of the rainbow, whatever!

Old 04-22-2019, 04:19 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I had my eyes tested today, as I have done every year since I was 6 years old, because I wear corrective lenses. the new ophthalmologist told me I didn't need a new script as my eyesight didn't change from last year, but he noticed I had "optic nerve cupping" and needed a glaucoma test. He said I may have cataracts and should consider surgery which was, surprise, his surgical specialty. I was told I also had floaters in my eyes that needed laser surgery and his good friend, surprise, did that surgery.

I am 60, and have no health issues or issues with my eyesight that affect my daily activities other than being near sighted. I took the glaucoma test reluctantly, which was negative, and told him before the test I knew I didn't have glaucoma because no other eye doctor had ever mentioned that I had even a hint of glaucoma! I declined his other suggestions.

medical providers used to care about patients. No longer. I don't trust a single one of my providers, dentist, PCP, or eye doctor, to care anything about me. they only seem to care about how much they can bilk the insurance company for useless BS.

If you have a doctor that cares about your health and not only his/her pocketbook, I envy you. I haven't had one for 12 years.
People are the same today as they were years ago. Doctors don't care any more or any less than in years past.

FYI. Taking glaucoma tests are STANDARD procedure for everyone especially after a certain age. Your mistrust of that one test is misplaced.

If you don't trust doctors, then stop seeing them. Manage your own pain and disease. Waste away and die at home. That's your option and choice to make.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM

70 posts, read 46,646 times
Geez, in reading all these posts, going to the doctor IS JUST LIKE TAKING YOUR CAR INTO THE DEALER.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:51 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,570,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People are the same today as they were years ago. Doctors don't care any more or any less than in years past.

FYI. Taking glaucoma tests are STANDARD procedure for everyone especially after a certain age. Your mistrust of that one test is misplaced.

If you don't trust doctors, then stop seeing them. Manage your own pain and disease. Waste away and die at home. That's your option and choice to make.
We'll just disagree, I believe things have changed dramatically from when I was growing up and today's medical corporations. Lots and lots of changes and all more money driven.

I can go back to the dark ages as I've lived a longer time than most here, and can still remember our town's MD and his $5 charge for an O.V. and if a person didn't even have the $5, it was on him. Can you imagine anything like that today?

And most here are not saying they distrust ALL doctors. But I believe there is a general distrust today as I hear it from many people in my life.

Old 04-22-2019, 04:58 PM

7,207 posts, read 4,473,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We'll just disagree, I believe things have changed dramatically from when I was growing up and today's medical corporations. Lots and lots of changes and all more money driven..
I don't think anyone can say that without lacking credibility. Even doctors admit things have changed drastically.

It is also not realistic to compare them to wait staff. Doctors have licensing boards and if they are sued they must comply with the standard of care. IF the standard of care becomes incompetent... your basic doctors are almost all going to be degraded and recommending procedures that may not be medically necessary.

If you don't do it, you risk your license.

It isn't like they can just do what they want.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't think anyone can say that without lacking credibility. Even doctors admit things have changed drastically.

It is also not realistic to compare them to wait staff. Doctors have licensing boards and if they are sued they must comply with the standard of care. IF the standard of care becomes incompetent... your basic doctors are almost all going to be degraded and recommending procedures that may not be medically necessary.

If you don't do it, you risk your license.

It isn't like they can just do what they want.
Oh I know of at least one doctor in my town who did some treating out the "box" and ended up losing his license. And I've seen lists of U.S. doctors who have lost their medical licenses.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:15 PM

17,336 posts, read 13,071,228 times
Quote:
Oh I know of at least one doctor in my town who did some treating out the "box" and ended up losing his license. And I've seen lists of U.S. doctors who have lost their medical licenses.
And???????????

There are always bad apples in any field.

We've all seen the lists. Tell us something useful and new.

I saw a list of a Dr here who was arrested because of a pill mill. I saw a story about Drs, pharmacists and nurses at Mt Carmel Hosp in Columbus who were allegedly ODing terminal patients to save them pain and agony. I saw an article about a Dr in Cincinnati who fled to Pakistan because he butchered patients at Cincinnati Children's and UC Hospital. Big deal, I can read a paper or watch the news.

For the overwhelming part, the medical profession is honest and wants to help patients. Some don't communicate well (if that's the case, seek out another doc) some do. Most are good, some are better and some are bad

Old 04-22-2019, 07:04 PM

I'm not talking about bad apples, I'm talking about trying to help their patients outside the standard drug world they are trained in medical school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And for trying to help, they lose their medical license.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:11 PM

5,379 posts, read 3,396,923 times
Quote:
I can go back to the dark ages as I've lived a longer time than most here, and can still remember our town's MD and his $5 charge for an O.V. and if a person didn't even have the $5, it was on him. Can you imagine anything like that today?
No, I can't imagine that today.

I bought a new car in 1975 for $1999. That isn't possible today.

I bought a condo in a nice place in 1980 for $45,000. Today that same condo sells for $200k.

I made 10,712 in 1977. Today.....

Why does it surprise you that you can't get a doctor's appt today for 5$?

Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 PM

17,336 posts, read 13,071,228 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about bad apples, I'm talking about trying to help their patients outside the standard drug world they are trained in medical school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And for trying to help, they lose their medical license.
If they lost their licence, they either were convicted of malpractice or dispensing pills or just a quack (or, all of the above)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness