U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:08 AM

53 posts, read 9,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is like medical care has become shallow and unduly sensitive at the same time. First due no harm has gone out the window. If I present to my doctor with a problem at all, she seems obsessed with going down some list that has been approved by some manager. This list is shallow and I could have gotten it off Web MD. it also typically does not make a ton of sense. Trying to fit my symptoms into the list rather than the other way around. If I have an issue that doesn't fit into that list.. I am on my own.

Assuming we agree on something we agree to the solution phase but the solution is almost always (1) a drug (usually expensive and dangerous); (2) an invasive and possibly dangerous test and or (3) some sort of surgery etc. And again, these things seem to come off a list. There is never any suggestion of a new technology to make things easier. Ever week I get an update to an app but medical procedures never get better or safer.

Before I leave the office I have a long boilerplate medical summary that frankly probably means nothing because the diagnosis is wrong in the first place. There is very little effort in actually finding out what is wrong with you and there is almost zero barrier to a dangerous and potentially life altering "solution".

Also, what is with the incompetence with regard to these offices. So often my doctors will give me a form that seems it came from 1935, the billing office cannot, ever actually get things right and the offices do not seem to care about you or anyone at all. Oh you will be in pain all weekend if I don't get this authorization in.... oh well, I leave at 4 PM. Bye! It has been my theory for a while that once you start working for a doctor or a vet you become heartless because you deal with it every day.

Ironically there still seems to be tons of people going to them and doing exactly what they say, no matter how obvious it is that medical care is making them worse. I cannot understand why. Until those people stop making excuses for them nothing will change.

It is like "do no harm" has been replaced with "do no good and charge for it".

I recently had a sinus infection. I am in my early 60s, and though it has been awhile, I have had them in the past. I know what they are, how they start, their symptoms, and their treatment.

So I went to a combined emergency/urgent care facility that was a preferred provided under my cadillac insurance program. I went during normal business hours when their urgent care side was open.

The doctor spend the entire time trying to browbeat me into a battery of tests for some sort of chronic migraine syndrome she was babbling about using their emergency care services. The cost would have been astronomical as she mentioned a "bunch of head scans, including CT". And the kicker was they said it was all covered by my insurance, but I would have to put down a deposit to proceed. I have never put down a deposit on any medical procedure under my insurance, and we have had some major medical expenses.

So I walked out.

I went to a strictly urgent care facility that was also in-network and they took care of me (yes, it was a sinus infection and treatable with an antibiotic and steroid). Simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 516,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingko View Post
It is like "do no harm" has been replaced with "do no good and charge for it".
I am stealing that one. They older I get the more I realize 50% of what they tell us to go to the doctor for can be cured by your own body. Sure, sometimes you need intervention but even that is getting scary with the general dumbing down of the population starting to infect health care.

I just try to stay away and or get my own medical tests.

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

14,918 posts, read 5,894,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seethelight View Post
It seems that almost a majority of people in this country are stupid. And they mistrust doctors? Stupid people only see themselves in others.
What do you have against stupid people? My IQ is 79. As far as doctors let's just say they are a very mixed bag.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 AM

9,564 posts, read 6,804,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
There are actually several different tests used to test for and diagnosis glaucoma. The "first step" test is the pressure test.
LOL, unfortunately I know that all too well, from personal experience as I have glaucoma.

I was just referring to that "first step" IOP check, which is a part of a complete eye exam for adults, IIRC.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM

11,625 posts, read 6,686,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
So, you prefer to diagnose yourself then? Sounds risky to me. I prefer to leave my health to the experts, and, yes, they are the experts.

Some people seem to think they don't need someone who has a medical education to diagnose and treat their illnesses, which makes me believe that some people have no idea what is even involved in getting a medical degree, which makes me believe it's pointless to argue with them.
The eye doctor's other "suggestions" to me were two surgeries on my eyes. I probably do have cataracts and floaters, but why would he suggest and why would I consider invasive eye surgeries when I have no eyesight problems affecting my daily life? I have 20/20 corrected vision which he confirmed the day of my appointment.

I couldn't disagree more with you that patients should automatically have a test/surgery only because an "expert" doctor suggested it. I'm not advocating patients dismiss a provider's suggestions for tests/surgery or self diagnose, either. We, as patients, have the responsibility to make informed risk/benefit decisions. We are making decisions about our body, or my eyes in this case, after all.

You may prefer to "leave your health to the experts", but I have always considered my health a team responsibility, me and the provider,....or at least I did until recently. Based on several recent experiences, I now feel like I'm not a person on a team, but an income stream for the provider.

Last edited by texan2yankee; Yesterday at 08:17 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

116 posts, read 46,689 times
OP, I totally agree with your original post.

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

1,474 posts, read 679,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I think the point was that if we didn’t have a system of health insurance, the treatment wouldn’t have cost $200,000 in the first place.
That wasn't what I read into the statement. I took it as "why have insurance when all of the doctors are stupid, and look at your insurance as a way to pay for their next Mercedes".

Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM

14,918 posts, read 5,894,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
So, you prefer to diagnose yourself then? Sounds risky to me. I prefer to leave my health to the experts, and, yes, they are the experts.

Some people seem to think they don't need someone who has a medical education to diagnose and treat their illnesses, which makes me believe that some people have no idea what is even involved in getting a medical degree, which makes me believe it's pointless to argue with them.
I had a recent experience with self diagnosis, and it was favorable. On Halloween 2017, I experienced the symptoms of a TIA; and self medicated by taking an aspirin, taking a nap, and a couple of months thereafter going on low-dose aspirin. I’ve since recovered most of my functions, including my tennis serve. At the time of the TIA I lost about half of the use of the right side of my body.

The symptoms of certain things are so well known that spending a few days in the hospital being “observed“ is not desirable or necessary.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM

7,671 posts, read 7,078,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The eye doctor's other "suggestions" to me were two surgeries on my eyes. I probably do have cataracts and floaters, but why would he suggest and why would I consider invasive eye surgeries when I have no eyesight problems affecting my daily life? I have 20/20 corrected vision which he confirmed the day of my appointment.

I couldn't disagree more with you that patients should automatically have a test/surgery only because an "expert" doctor suggested it. We, as patients, have the responsibility to make informed risk/benefit decisions. We are making decisions about our body, or my eyes in this case, after all.

You may prefer to "leave your health to the experts", but I have always considered my health a team responsibility, me and the provider,....or at least I did until recently. Based on several recent experiences, I now feel like I'm not a person on a team, but an income stream for the provider.
Eventually, the glasses won't be able to give you 20/20 vision because the cataracts continues to grow. My mom kept putting it off and now she can no longer safely have cataract surgery. I bought her a big screen TV and she sits about 3 feet away to watch it.

Age and other medical conditions is a consideration. If you have one eye that can see 20/20 while you're recovering from the surgery, you can still live independently. I know a neighbor who was rejected for surgery because she lived alone. She no longer can live alone, and moved out.

I would get a second opinion. A Walmart optician posts the optional exams and you can order them as you see fit. They should be able to spot the cataract in a regular eye exam since most people have them. It is matter of getting regular eye exams, tracking their growth, and making the decision to have them removed when they start to affect vision.

Maybe you should ask more questions of the doctor and not anonymous people on a forum. There is a lot of pertinent information missing from your original post.

Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM

1,840 posts, read 1,779,451 times
Just came across this thread. Stay away from ENT doctors if you can. The common surgery of turbinate reduction for breathing issues can lead to empty nose syndrome. It ultimately killed my son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness