U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:33 AM

6 posts, read 95 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a 20 year old male and i've had undiagnosed shortness of breath for over a year now. Long story short it all started the night before I was getting a new carpet fitted. So basically I was pulling up the old one and within 10 minutes of being in the room I started getting a really heavy chest and this uncontrollable ice cold cough that came out of nowhere. The next day the cough disappeared but the SoB remained and it stayed that way for a month before eventually fading away. It wasn't long after when I went to exercise, I felt that same heavy feeling on my chest right away and again I had the symptoms for another month. I've been experiencing this horrible cycle for a year now and its affecting me on a daily basis. I've told multiple GP's this story (I presume dust/toxins went into the air and I breathed them in? hence the sudden onset of coughing) but they've all stared blankly at me which has been quite discouraging.

If I had to describe the symptoms, breathing through the nose never feels like enough and I find myself constantly taking a deep breath through the mouth or forcing a yawn. At its most severe i've also felt nauseous, light headed, Heart skips a beat: Feels like the air is quickly sucked out of me and in general just feel out of it.

I've had a ton of tests/prescriptions done since including:
-2 inhalers (Blue and Brown) but never relieved symptoms. I later had asthma ruled out by the GP
- Chest X Ray came back clear
- Blood test from upper arm came back clear
- Spirometry came back clear
- Lung function test which came back with a slight reduction of carbon dioxide due to hyperventilation, even though i didn't feel nervous during the test?
- Skin allergy tests came back positive to dust mites, grass, pollen etc.. However when I brought this up with the doctor he gave me the impression it wasn't a big deal
-Echodiagram and Heart Monitor both came back clear

So with lung and heart conditions pretty much ruled out i'm starting to run out of possible options that could be causing this. When I next speak to my GP i'm going to follow up on the allergies and also mention Acid Reflux although i'm not really convinced they could be the causes. If anybody has experienced something similar please feel free to comment below and if theres anybody who has got over SoB id appreciate some other suggestions on what to ask the GP. Sorry if this post is too long, just trying to give as much detail as possible.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

1,746 posts, read 3,225,182 times
I had shortness of breath about 15 years ago. It seemed to be caused by eating acidic food. The book I've mentioned below helped me identify and relieve the SoB. I seemed to be suffering from what the author describes as "MALS" food allergy. M for msg, A for acidic food, L for low calorie sweetener, and S for sugar. To make a long story short, avoiding certain foods relieved the symptoms. Moving to a house without a musty basement cleared the issue up entirely.

**Food Allergies: The Complete Guide to Understanding and Relieving Your Food Allergies
by William E. Walsh | Sep 15, 2000**

Acid reflux does also cause shortness of breath.

Your issue seems to have been triggered by tearing out the old carpet, have you tried staying someplace else for a while to see if your symptoms clear up?

Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

3,582 posts, read 1,501,732 times
The combination allergy + GERD can be rough, as I had it recently. If you try Zantac or Pepcid it is an H2 antagonist, which also helps with allergic reactions. Have you tried either of those to see if they help with the acid or allergies?

Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

5,248 posts, read 3,478,009 times
Anxiety is another possibility. When we are anxious, we tend to take shallow, quick breaths. Then we can get a feeling of "air hunger" which causes us to take big deep breaths and yawn, but it feels like we're not getting enough air. The deep breathing exacerbates the feeling and creates a vicious cycle. Look up overbreathing syndrome. It's related to anxiety and it can come and go.

I have had this issue and it comes back at various times. What has helped is to breathe in slowly for the count of five, hold for the count of five, exhale for the count of seven, hold for the count of seven, repeat for several minutes. The first minute or two feels uncomfortable because you feel like you want to catch a big deep breath but if you push through it, you'll start to feel better. You can also try slowly exhaling as much as you can, then taking a normal breath. Repeat for several breaths. I think the issue is that carbon dioxide starts to build up, so you need to slow down your breathing and exhale the excess CO2.

Exercise can also help. Are you walking/jogging/otherwise exercising each day? When I am active, I find that I have much less of an issue with this. Avoiding overeating, eating slowly, and controlling acid reflux also help. I started with this issue when I was 17 and about to graduate from high school. It went away after some months, then came back when I was getting ready to move out of my house and again when I started a new job and again during one of my pregnancies... Are you experiencing this while you are going through times of stress and change? If so, getting your stress under control will likely help.

Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM

2,693 posts, read 937,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb98 View Post

At its most severe i've also felt nauseous, light headed, Heart skips a beat: Feels like the air is quickly sucked out of me and in general just feel out of it.

!

Get to a cardiologist ASAP: you have sever coronary artery disease until proven otherwise.

SOB and nausea, not chest pain, are the most common complaints in angina pectoris (CAD).

edit-- I just noticed your young age-- you probably don't have arteriosclerotic disease, but could have a congenitally small coronary artery (just as bad or worse), or prolapsing mitral valve (often causes chest pain/pressure/nausea & skipped beats. It can be intermittent, so a normal echo doesn't necessarily rule it out.)

Other responses here are good explanations, but none of them are going to cause sudden death. Missing the cardiac diagnosis could.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

5,102 posts, read 7,919,271 times
Sorry about this chronic problem. Do your doctors & pulmonologist think that that single carpet-upping incident caused this chronic issue? Didn't you at least have all the windows wide open & wear a good dust mask before you pulled up the old carpeting?? You should have & don't the carpet people take care of taking up the old carpet anyway?

You can look up my threads. I developed this odd respiratory issue out of the pure blue 2 yrs ago. Nothing happened to have caused this, so I've been on the hunt for answers ever since.

Try to at least see 2 or 3 pulmonologists...one after the other if each one doesn't seem to know. Try to find a more unknown one too out of them. I got a 2nd opinion from a 2nd pulmonologist so that gave me a little more peace of mind.

Old Today, 05:04 PM

6 posts, read 95 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
I had shortness of breath about 15 years ago. It seemed to be caused by eating acidic food. The book I've mentioned below helped me identify and relieve the SoB. I seemed to be suffering from what the author describes as "MALS" food allergy. M for msg, A for acidic food, L for low calorie sweetener, and S for sugar. To make a long story short, avoiding certain foods relieved the symptoms. Moving to a house without a musty basement cleared the issue up entirely.

**Food Allergies: The Complete Guide to Understanding and Relieving Your Food Allergies
by William E. Walsh | Sep 15, 2000**

Acid reflux does also cause shortness of breath.

Your issue seems to have been triggered by tearing out the old carpet, have you tried staying someplace else for a while to see if your symptoms clear up?
Thanks for your response! I actually switched to a mainly alkaline diet and started taking apple cider vinegar a little while back but it didn't seem to make a difference. As far as staying somewhere else I went on holiday for a week last summer but the symptoms were still the same when I was out there.

Can I ask if your symptoms ever worsened during exertion/exercise? because that is the clear pattern I've been noticing. Part of me thinks that doesn't quite fit the symptoms of acid reflux.

Old Today, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 95 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The combination allergy + GERD can be rough, as I had it recently. If you try Zantac or Pepcid it is an H2 antagonist, which also helps with allergic reactions. Have you tried either of those to see if they help with the acid or allergies?
As of right now, I changed to a more healthier diet and started using natural supplements such as apple cider vinegar although they haven't made a difference. I'll keep these two in mind though I appreciate it!

Old Today, 05:13 PM

6 posts, read 95 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Anxiety is another possibility. When we are anxious, we tend to take shallow, quick breaths. Then we can get a feeling of "air hunger" which causes us to take big deep breaths and yawn, but it feels like we're not getting enough air. The deep breathing exacerbates the feeling and creates a vicious cycle. Look up overbreathing syndrome. It's related to anxiety and it can come and go.

I have had this issue and it comes back at various times. What has helped is to breathe in slowly for the count of five, hold for the count of five, exhale for the count of seven, hold for the count of seven, repeat for several minutes. The first minute or two feels uncomfortable because you feel like you want to catch a big deep breath but if you push through it, you'll start to feel better. You can also try slowly exhaling as much as you can, then taking a normal breath. Repeat for several breaths. I think the issue is that carbon dioxide starts to build up, so you need to slow down your breathing and exhale the excess CO2.

Exercise can also help. Are you walking/jogging/otherwise exercising each day? When I am active, I find that I have much less of an issue with this. Avoiding overeating, eating slowly, and controlling acid reflux also help. I started with this issue when I was 17 and about to graduate from high school. It went away after some months, then came back when I was getting ready to move out of my house and again when I started a new job and again during one of my pregnancies... Are you experiencing this while you are going through times of stress and change? If so, getting your stress under control will likely help.
I wouldn't say i'm an anxious person but when i've tried breathing techniques in the past they have helped me get a deep breath in when symptoms are most severe. That being said I can never shake the tight feeling in my chest so i'm not sure if this is the issue. Thankyou for the advise though i'll keep this in mind!

Old Today, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 95 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Get to a cardiologist ASAP: you have sever coronary artery disease until proven otherwise.

SOB and nausea, not chest pain, are the most common complaints in angina pectoris (CAD).

edit-- I just noticed your young age-- you probably don't have arteriosclerotic disease, but could have a congenitally small coronary artery (just as bad or worse), or prolapsing mitral valve (often causes chest pain/pressure/nausea & skipped beats. It can be intermittent, so a normal echo doesn't necessarily rule it out.)

Other responses here are good explanations, but none of them are going to cause sudden death. Missing the cardiac diagnosis could.
Thank you for this! I'll make sure to bring it up when I next visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness