U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:15 AM

5,317 posts, read 6,527,005 times

Advertisements

Your weight isn't bad. But if you really think you have a thyroid issue (showing other symptoms, etc.) find a doctor who does ALL the thyroid tests (antibodies, etc.). This is just the very bare minimum of thyroid tests and doesn't tell you much. I had to go to about 6 doctors before I found one who was even willing to order the other tests, and the one I finally did find was not an endocrinologist, but a family med MD who just happens to be very knowledgeable about thyroid issues. Low and behold, when I got those results back, the numbers were off the chart. I felt like going back to all the other docs with my results and screaming at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 10:58 AM

22,356 posts, read 7,577,391 times
As far as tests and endos, I found after 10 yrs of these tests and endos, my D.O. just chose to give me a theraputic dose of Armour, no tests, nothing, and in 4 days 10 yrs of depression was lifted.

So often so many need just the smallest dose of desiccated support and don't know this. There are many otc thyroid supports on the market too. One can do their own work on the search on the alternatives for thyroid support. Maybe the OP doesn't need a script from pharma.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 519,000 times
Be careful of metabolism testing.

I have had three done.

One came back at RMR of 1200
One at 1500 and
One at 1550

Which one is right? Who knows.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:05 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,618,807 times
Your thyroid test is totally normal. It's not your thyroid. 150 for someone 67 inches is fine. But if you want to weigh less, eat fewer calories and exercise more.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:13 PM

14,607 posts, read 8,071,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Some people are just "easy keepers" as the equestrians say-- you can maintain healthy body weight with a much lower calorie intake than normal folks.-- Real easy to become obese, and maybe foretelling diabetes if you let your calorie count go up.
Anathema! How can you say that some people are just physically set up to "maintain body weight with a much lower calorie intake" - NO - you must be a lazy person who also gorges on processed food!

I'm kidding and not talking to either you or the OP directly - just noting that 90% of people will accept no other reason than lazy gluttony for being the least bit overweight.

Old 04-13-2019, 12:14 PM

3,961 posts, read 3,618,807 times
Lots of totally healthy people have anti-thyroid antibodies. It doesn't mean that they are low or high thyroid. As long as your TSH and free T4 are in the normal range, your thyroid function is fine.

Quacks (naturopaths and such) are making money off diagnosing a condition that people don't have, and "treating" it with animal-derived thyroid supplements that are digested in your stomach. These are largely ineffective, and if they DID have an effect, it would make you hyperthyroid, leading to muscle loss, tachycardia, diarrhea, and other problems.

One of the saddest things I've ever seen was a mother who had spent her child's entire childhood obsessing about her own mild hypothyroidism. She didn't have more children because of it, and ran from naturopath to chiropractor and back, obsessed with "healing" her thyroid, to try to get off thyroid replacement medication. She turned a minor medical issue into the story of her life, thus ruining her child's life. And the last time I saw her, she insisted that the child needed to be tested for thyroid antibodies too (which fortunately were negative), just in case she needed the same quackery snake oil that the naturopath had put mom on! Of course, mom wouldn't accept that the child was just healthy and normal.

Old 04-13-2019, 01:03 PM

3,427 posts, read 2,202,946 times
Reliable info here (long, but packed with information):

https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditi...roid-hormone-0
https://www.endocrineweb.com/conditi...gland-function

Dr. James Norman, who wrote both of those pages, is an extremely knowledgeable endocrinologist. He started endocrineweb years ago so he could provide evidence-based information for people with endocrine diseases.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:19 PM

2,697 posts, read 942,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
That will show of it’s an autoimmune issue. I had similar issues to the OP for years before it was discovered.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/thyroid-d...s/faq-20058114

I re-iterate: how will that affect treatment?

It won't. It's an interesting academic point if the etiology is autoimmune or not, but doesn't affect management in the least. (BTW- the OP's test results were normal, so unlikely further testing would reveal anything.)

Over weight people often blame their thyroid, but that's rarely the problem. We recently had a thread here about a study done that showed clearly that there is a big difference in "metabolism" of most heavy people compared to those that have no trouble maintaining their weight...It is genetic-- there are genes that allow some people to extract more energy more efficiently from their food, so a "normal" diet is too much for them.

Old 04-13-2019, 04:45 PM

5,665 posts, read 7,971,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I re-iterate: how will that affect treatment?

It won't. It's an interesting academic point if the etiology is autoimmune or not, but doesn't affect management in the least. (BTW- the OP's test results were normal, so unlikely further testing would reveal anything.)

Over weight people often blame their thyroid, but that's rarely the problem. We recently had a thread here about a study done that showed clearly that there is a big difference in "metabolism" of most heavy people compared to those that have no trouble maintaining their weight...It is genetic-- there are genes that allow some people to extract more energy more efficiently from their food, so a "normal" diet is too much for them.
I can only share what happened to me. I’m not a doctor. I’m guessing you have, or think you have, some sort of medical insight or issue with over weight people. Let me say this I’m 5’11” and hovered around 150 lbs. Then bam my numbers were just slightly elevated and I gained. I was running and biking 5 miles a day and eating healthy at that point but I still gained. Then I had to stop exercising because I developed POTS. I’m still the same weight I leveled at after the thyroid issue started. My numbers are now level and I’m still maintaining that same weight. I may NEVER be able to exercise again and trust me when I say calorie restriction didn’t/doesn’t work. Although the numbers test good I think my body knows. Either way I’m coming to grips with my reality and I suggest you think about the fact some people can’t help their weight. Different people react to hormone levels in different ways so don’t try the high and mighty road with me.

If the OP really thinks it’s a thyroid issue then the OP should seek a second opinion from a doctor how has knowledge of thyroid issues.

ETA: Having an autoimmune disease, which is the test I wrote about, is a big deal. Once you have one you are more likely to get another. Let me tell you they are no fun.

Last edited by Spazkat9696; 04-13-2019 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Add

Old 04-13-2019, 05:53 PM

459 posts, read 597,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miley881 View Post

So my doctor tested thyroid levels...

T3 free 2.2
T4 0.9
TSH 1.7

M
Your Free T4 is just slightly lower than most people would test and just above the minimum of normal so not the best. The Free t3 which is the active thyroid hormone and has the most to do with how you feel at 2.2 is really a poor normal. I would probably want a small dose of NDT/DTE and get the FT4 just over 1 and the FT3 into the 3's (US labs). NDT/DTE like Armour, Nature-throid, NP Thyroid, are best divided in the day with lab testing in AM before eating or taking thyroid hormone pills.

Testing for Hashimoto's and Graves (TPO-AB and also helpful TgAB) is always advisable to rule out these conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or