U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 207 times

Advertisements

I am a 37 year old female and have a lot of trouble loosing weight ( working with a nutritionist and fitness trainer for 6 months) but no success. Canít lose a single pound.i am not overweight. 5í7; 150lbs.
My metabolism got tested and is apparently well below normal for my age. Base caloric need is 1100 calories.

So my doctor tested thyroid levels...

T3 free 2.2
T4 0.9
TSH 1.7

Is this normal ... can anyone interpret these numbers before I go to the follow up?

Thank you
M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 01:44 PM

22,333 posts, read 7,568,490 times
Now to me your weight and height are not in a bad place, but that's me. On the weight issue and I've exercised all my life until the later 60's and at this point I've had to cut out a LOT of refined carbs and the sugars too and even stopped wine drinking a couple yrs ago.

I've studied the thyroid world since early 90's and found the best info from Stop The Thyroid Madness people to have the best support. There is a blog and a couple books by the blog operator. Many in the thyroid issues swear by a drop of iodine daily and that's what I've been doing for 10 yrs or so along with NT thyroid support.

They claim to be optimal, TSH needs to be very low and T3 and T4 need to be at the higher ends of the ranges.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:45 PM

5,197 posts, read 6,258,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miley881 View Post
I am a 37 year old female and have a lot of trouble loosing weight ( working with a nutritionist and fitness trainer for 6 months) but no success. Canít lose a single pound.i am not overweight. 5í7; 150lbs.
My metabolism got tested and is apparently well below normal for my age. Base caloric need is 1100 calories.

T3 free 2.2
T4 0.9
TSH 1.7

Is this normal ... can anyone interpret these numbers before I go to the follow up?

Thank you
M
The doctor that tested you should have explained those numbers to you. They should have also written you a prescription if one was indicated.

You say you are not overweight yet you cannot lose a pound. This makes zero sense.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:55 PM

2,696 posts, read 940,558 times
Quote:
I am a 37 year old female and have a lot of trouble loosing weight ( working with a nutritionist and fitness trainer for 6 months) but no success. Can’t lose a single pound.i am not overweight. 5’7; 150lbs.

T3 free 2.2
T4 0.9
TSH 1.7

A couple points: As Lucky astutely asks above, if you're not over-weight, why do you want to lose weight?

In regards metabolism, there's much more to it than thyroid function. In fact, thyroid function doesn't affect weight until it's way out of the normal range.

In regards lab values in general- they're mostly good for comparing what you are now to what you were before or what you'll be in the future. A single test has less meaning....Test values compare you to the general population. For instance- you're 5'7"-- normal but a little above the norm. That doesn't mean much by itself, but if you tell us every other female in your family is only 4'11", then maybe we ought to be checking your pituitary function.

Your thyroid tests are in the normal range, and for 99 & 44/100ths % of cases , that's means normal function-- but there's always the possibility that you make enough thyroxine, but you can't use it properly. Rare, but it happens.

Some people are just "easy keepers" as the equestrians say-- you can maintain healthy body weight with a much lower calorie intake than normal folks.-- Real easy to become obese, and maybe foretelling diabetes if you let your calorie count go up.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:08 PM

22,333 posts, read 7,568,490 times
Since we are all unique and I went thru many years on trying to get what I felt was thyroid issue, and spent plenty of time on thyroid support groups and hearing stories, it can take a lot of FINE TUNING to get to a good optimal place for each person and their body chemistry and thyroid.

It's very complex and so many I believe go undiagnosed and not getting proper doses once they get on supports.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:27 PM

5,665 posts, read 7,968,807 times
Quote:

T3 free 2.2
T4 0.9
TSH 1.7

Thank you
M
Have your anti-thyroid peroxidase tested.

Old 04-12-2019, 07:52 PM

2,696 posts, read 940,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post

How will that result change treatment?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
How will that result change treatment?
That will show of itís an autoimmune issue. I had similar issues to the OP for years before it was discovered.

Quote:
Some people with TPO antibodies may not have thyroid disease. However, the presence of TPO antibodies may increase the risk of future thyroid disorders. If you have normal thyroid function with TPO antibodies, your doctor may recommend periodic checkups to watch for future thyroid problems.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/thyroid-d...s/faq-20058114

Old 04-12-2019, 09:21 PM

29,425 posts, read 46,569,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Could you explain what that means?
And what a deficient result would be?

Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Could you explain what that means?
And what a deficient result would be?
Please see post 8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or