Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 AM

15 posts, read 40,588 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had to deal with rude hospital staff?

Something I've noticed from hospital staff is that they love rushing you (to sign papers, to leave, etc.). They love to talk loudly and say things such as "I'm so tired of all these patients!" while looking at us waiting to be waited on.

Then another worker will make a comment such as, "Ugh, and even more patients are signing in. Now we have an extra 5 more to deal with..."

The other day, while I was in the emergency room, the person that hands out the release papers was extremely rude. While I was with the doctor, I could hear him complaining.

Once I was finished with the doctor, as I was walking up, I could still hear him complaining about being tired of patients, yada, yada.

Before I quite reached him, it sounded like he asked me for my ID. So, I said, "Sure, let me get it out of my purse." So, he rudely yelled, "NO, I said IV! I want to know about IV!!!" I apologized for the misunderstanding. He huffed and puffed.

Next, the medical assistant told me to be still as she checked my blood pressure. Then here comes Mr. Rude again. He rush read the release papers he had to give to me, then he tried forcing the papers into my hands even though he clearly saw I couldn't move one arm due to having my blood pressure taken -- my other hand that he tried forcing the papers into wasn't free either (the MA had placed that square thingy around my finger).

Finally, he just threw my papers into a basket on the side of me.

Maybe I'm just extra friendly. I've had times where nothing at all went right for long periods of time (months and years). Times where I almost wanted to commit suicide because I was dealing with so much that seemed never-ending, but I have never, ever took my problems out on customers.

I maintained a smile, remained very helpful and kept my issues inside until getting off work to deal with such stress. Why do companies allow such behavior nowadays? Why do workers not understand that they are getting paid to do a job instead of complaining 24/7 and making customers/clients uncomfortable?

How do you handle rude hospital workers or rude workers in general? Do you just deal with it as I do or do you file a complaint on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Get their names and then make a visit to the hospital administrator. I don't have much tolerance for that stuff, especially when I already don't feel well. If they're aggravated about something they can at least keep their mouth shut.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 AM

837 posts, read 1,287,344 times
Find another hospital. Healthcare professionals have to understand they aren't the last bottle of water in the desert...there's always someone else.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM

13 posts, read 21,151 times
Whether it's a generation of unprofessional behavior , staff being overwhelmed due to 12 hour shifts, too much unnecessary documentation (created by the Joint Commission think tank), and lack of supervision, ,lack of self control, loss of focus regarding voice modualtion, inability to make the transformation (demanded in patient care/caregiving) from the kind of conversation,language, and saying what you THINK outside the realm of the hospital (home ,mall,bar, car,cell,twitter talk). Hospitals are being deluged with negative feedback from in-patient questionaires complaining of noise (relentless noice from staff,carts (hard castered wheels),alarms,slaming doors,overhead messages) . Management has intitated mandatory sessions whereby video's displaying inappropriate behavior and all the various aggravating and rude behavior,but some wonder if it can change a culture of habit, personality, and questionable discipline. As a former director had it not been for staffing shortages I would have tossed half the staff out the door and sed them to piece work factory line,,where they can laugh,tell jokes,say whats on their mind etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Most hospitals are keenly interested in assuring that patients are satisfied with their care. Most will send anyone who is hospitalized a questionnaire allowing him to critique everyone from the physicians to the housekeeping staff.

If you were not offered one, ask for it. If you remember names, cite them.

Or you can just write a letter to the hospital administrator.

In general, I try to defuse rudeness with a smile and a comment to the effect that it must be a hectic day and commiserate with the complainer. DH is exceptionally good at this, which once led to us being upgraded from coach to first class on an overbooked flight because he was nice to a frazzled gate agent.

If you report bad service, I feel it is only fair to report good service, too, though. I recently dealt with an IRS rep who was friendly and knowledgeable and I thanked her. I actually told her she was damaging the bad reputation of the IRS!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,445 times
Report them to their HR or an official incharge of customer service. File a written complaint & follow up with them. If you dont remember their names, browse the hospital staff on their website to find out who was rude to you so that you can include their names in your complaints. Complain on their website, suggestion box, feedback surveys, blogs... whatever channels you can find. Their behavior is unacceptable & they should not be allowed to work in a place where sick people go for treatment. These are adult bullies who are used to throwing their weight around. Dont ignore their behavior as it only strengthens them. Do it as a service for your community.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM

4 posts, read 25,613 times
Hospitals are a place of business these days. They take everything in such a professional way they charge for every single thing they do. Even if you once did not like the food and reject they will charge you for the one you rejected and for the one you ordered for!

Old 11-28-2012, 04:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Unfortunately, it's a combination of overworked staff (I HATE that nurses have 12 hr. shifts now, last time husband was hospitilized I saw how much it had gone downhill) - BUT!!! I'm not a large person at all, but: call them out on their rudeness, report them, contact admin., etc. - MAYBE (not holding my breath) things will change with the scheduling, the people they hire (sometimes it seems like those folks just want to sit on their butts, not actually DO anything but complain) - MAYBE, if enough folks complain, things will go back to the way they used to be? People actually cared about patients (what a concept!)

Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliya87khan View Post
Hospitals are a place of business these days. They take everything in such a professional way they charge for every single thing they do. Even if you once did not like the food and reject they will charge you for the one you rejected and for the one you ordered for!
Usually meals are factored into the room charge, which is the same no matter whether you eat or are unable to eat because of the illness that caused the hospitalization. I've never been charged for meals separately.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:01 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,791,113 times
I always fill out the questionairre that is mailed to me. I tell the truth on it too. If everything is great I say so. If not, I say so and say what the problem was.

The hospital Admin has NO idea of problems unless they are told of them.
On the flip side I also let the hospital Admin know of pleasing aspects of the facility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness