U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-13-2019, 08:32 PM
 
Location: South Australia
377 posts, read 54,636 times
Reputation: 730

Advertisements

Didn't know where else to put this, I guess it's a form of insurance.

In Australia we have an 'opt in 'system. IE IF you want to donate your organs ,you carry a card saying so, or next of kin are asked at a hospital if possible.

The current system means that many people die waiting for transplants

What are the problems associate with an 'opt out' system? IE organ donation would be the automatic default situation. .People would need to carry a donor card opting OUT.

People would not need to give a reason. Parents would have thee right to decide for their children until their majority. If no opt out card, hospital and doctors would be obligated to check where possible whether there were religious objections.

Such a system would drastically reduce or eliminate waiting times for organ transplants.

I think it would work, but am aware the US would probably have civil liberty concerns. I'm sure some Americans would argue such a programme is in breach of the US Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2019, 01:00 AM
 
Location: on the wind
6,189 posts, read 2,467,481 times
Reputation: 21078
Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Didn't know where else to put this, I guess it's a form of insurance.

In Australia we have an 'opt in 'system. IE IF you want to donate your organs ,you carry a card saying so, or next of kin are asked at a hospital if possible.

The current system means that many people die waiting for transplants

What are the problems associate with an 'opt out' system? IE organ donation would be the automatic default situation. .People would need to carry a donor card opting OUT.

People would not need to give a reason. Parents would have thee right to decide for their children until their majority. If no opt out card, hospital and doctors would be obligated to check where possible whether there were religious objections.

Such a system would drastically reduce or eliminate waiting times for organ transplants.

I think it would work, but am aware the US would probably have civil liberty concerns. I'm sure some Americans would argue such a programme is in breach of the US Constitution.
AFAIK in most if not all US states donor status is stated on your driver's license/state ID card. Donation is voluntary...no opt in or opt out. If you don't want or can't donate there's a yes/no check box on the license application form. No need for a separate card or maintaining a separate database. DMV information is already retrievable by official authorities easily in an emergency.

There have been forum discussions about this before. Doing a forum search might pull up the previous threads. Right to privacy, concerns over prioritizing emergency medical care, and potential for abusing "warehousing" of groups of people definitely play into having a "default" system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2019, 04:58 PM
 
5,333 posts, read 6,542,076 times
Reputation: 8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
AFAIK in most if not all US states donor status is stated on your driver's license/state ID card. Donation is voluntary...no opt in or opt out. If you don't want or can't donate there's a yes/no check box on the license application form. No need for a separate card or maintaining a separate database. DMV information is already retrievable by official authorities easily in an emergency.

There have been forum discussions about this before. Doing a forum search might pull up the previous threads. Right to privacy, concerns over prioritizing emergency medical care, and potential for abusing "warehousing" of groups of people definitely play into having a "default" system.
Even if you have it on your license, if your next of kin says no to donation, your organs will not be donated.

I personally think the default should be that you are a donor unless stated otherwise. When my dad died, we donated his organs. Never even thought twice about it. He still had a traditional Orthodox Christian viewing, funeral service, and burial. I also have a cousin, 19 years old, who received a kidney just before Christmas. He's one of the lucky ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 AM
 
12,768 posts, read 15,177,077 times
Reputation: 14680
Before needing to register as a donor, people here needed only to put a little sticker on a corner of their drivers license which showed they wanted organs donated.

Almost everyone I knew had one on their license.

Now...with registration....many, many, many previous would-be donors are lost.
A lot of people shy away from "registration"...that to me is the biggest reason there are less people donating organs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 01:39 PM
 
Location: on the wind
6,189 posts, read 2,467,481 times
Reputation: 21078
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Even if you have it on your license, if your next of kin says no to donation, your organs will not be donated.
In addition to your license you should have a medical directive that also states you wish to donate. Just about all of the directive templates I've seen include this information, and are specific as to which ones and for what purpose. FWIW, no relative of mine would ever gainsay such a profound personal decision. A discussion everyone should be having with next of kin anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2019, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Upstate NY
33,783 posts, read 10,039,515 times
Reputation: 31967
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Even if you have it on your license, if your next of kin says no to donation, your organs will not be donated.

I personally think the default should be that you are a donor unless stated otherwise. When my dad died, we donated his organs. Never even thought twice about it. He still had a traditional Orthodox Christian viewing, funeral service, and burial. I also have a cousin, 19 years old, who received a kidney just before Christmas. He's one of the lucky ones.

The default should be, and that's why it is in most venues, that "you are a donor" only if you elect to be. It's a simple enough procedure, and everyone is or should be aware of that option.

The idea that ogans would be harvested from someone who did not elect to donate them is anathema to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 PM
 
5,333 posts, read 6,542,076 times
Reputation: 8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The default should be, and that's why it is in most venues, that "you are a donor" only if you elect to be. It's a simple enough procedure, and everyone is or should be aware of that option.

The idea that ogans would be harvested from someone who did not elect to donate them is anathema to me.
In the US, you are a donor only if your next of kin wants you to be. Even if you have organ donor tattooed on your forehead, if your next of kin says no, then your organs will not be donated.

Why is it anathema to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2019, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Fredericksburg, Va
5,179 posts, read 13,165,222 times
Reputation: 7337
EVERYONE should be an organ donor. So many folks NEED an organ that, if you die, you can't use. Mark it on your USA driver's license...tell your family....let your doctor know that you're willing, if you're able!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:15 PM
 
12,768 posts, read 15,177,077 times
Reputation: 14680
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
EVERYONE should be an organ donor. So many folks NEED an organ that, if you die, you can't use. Mark it on your USA driver's license...tell your family....let your doctor know that you're willing, if you're able!
I agree...I'd do everyone of those...and did.......unfortunately registration became a requirement, and that ended it for me as well as many many others I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top