Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 05:35 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,405,814 times

Advertisements

Anyone else out there suffering from a Spring head cold want to join the pity party thread?

What day of your cold are you on?

Are you ticked off because you’ve already had 1,2,3 or (insert unreasonable number of head colds here) and thought that you were finally done for the season, but noooooo?

What cold remedies are you taking?

How successful have you been in convincing yourself that the cold remedies are working?

Do you have to slog to work any way? Or can you enjoy your pity party at home?

Do you have someone to make you chicken soup?

This is only my second cold this season, but I’m in Florida and it’s basically summer now, so I thought I was free and clear, but noooooo!

My husband has had three, so I shouldn’t complain — and he didn’t give this one to me.

But since I’ve had chronic (drug-induced) pancreatitis, I am supposed to avoid all medications unless I really, really need them. I’m even avoiding Cold-Eeze which I think actually work, but made me really nauseous the last time I tried them.

On the plus side, I am retired, so I can just lie in bed and throw myself a pity party in peace. 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2019, 07:36 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Feel better soon

Old 04-19-2019, 07:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
I hate colds!

OK, this is the truth, and it's held true for three years now.

Three years ago I started taking about 500 mg a day of vitamin C. Prior to this, I got a couple of colds every year and I could basically set a clock or timer with them - they lasted ten days. Every. Single. Time. Ten days. They'd start in my head and then move to my throat, then my bronchial tubes - and once or twice I even got walking pneumonia. I would often end up with a cough that lasted weeks after the cold was otherwise gone.

Started the vitamin C and I have not had one long cold since then. I HAVE gotten a minor cold - one time. One time. It lasted three days instead of ten.

I'm amazed! But very happy. Oh, and my husband, who is actually a light smoker (about two packs a week max, often less), has had the very same results. We also haven't gotten the flu in three years either, though we do get flu shots in addition to taking the vitamin C. Even with the flu shots, that we've been getting for at least ten years now, we would occasionally come down with whatever flu snuck under the fence that year. But we literally haven't been sick with anything since we started taking this vitamin C.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:20 AM

Thanks KathrynAragon, I’ll have to check that out. I suppose you have to load up on Vit C early on, not on day 4 of the cold though.

My go-to head cold cure used to be lots of fresh, chopped, raw garlic at the first sign of throat scratchiness. It almost always worked wonders for me (well, except for the social life), but now raw garlic makes me really, really nauseous ... a lot worse than the zinc in the Cold-Eeze.

But Vit C ... hmmm ... I’ll have to see if there are any side effects at high doses. I’m thinking maybe not since it’s a water-soluble Vit.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:14 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Getting the immune system strong is key and then colds/flu will not hit you. And I mean taking antioxidants every day of one's life. I do and no colds/flu in over 25 yrs.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:48 PM

Well, I don’t know. I was treated for an autoimmune disease from 2015 to 2017. That involved taking immunosuppressants. Maybe it’s good that my immune system isn’t too strong. In spite of the pity party, I’d rather have a head cold, than have my autoimmune inner ear disease come out of remission.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Oh so that's a no no, can't strengthen one's immune system if taking any of the autoimmune drugs.

If that's the case then one lives with the tradeoffs. You don't mention this in your post to Kathryn as you are discussing Vit C...which strengthens immune system.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:27 PM

388 posts, read 307,499 times
We've been up and down with colds this season. It was my first year with a baby old enough to play with other kids, so we had a lot of germ sharing going on. Like Kathryn, I've noticed that when I'm good about remembering to take my Vitamin C (500mg daily, upped to 1000mg when either I or the baby start experiencing cold symptoms) and elderberry gummies, I either avoid the cold or it only lasts a couple of days. Maybe entirely coincidental. I also tried those Cold-Eeze lozenges and while they also seemed to be somewhat effective, I really dislike the dry-mouth feeling that comes along with them, and they make me slightly nauseated, too.

Hope you are feeling better soon!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh so that's a no no, can't strengthen one's immune system if taking any of the autoimmune drugs.

If that's the case then one lives with the tradeoffs. You don't mention this in your post to Kathryn as you are discussing Vit C...which strengthens immune system.
I’m not currently taking them — the immunosuppressants that is — so I wasn’t really thinking about that until I read your post. Now that I’m off them, I’m still leery of anything that might kick my immune system into overdrive. Trade-offs as you say ...

Old 04-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I’m not currently taking them — the immunosuppressants that is — so I wasn’t really thinking about that until I read your post. Now that I’m off them, I’m still leery of anything that might kick my immune system into overdrive. Trade-offs as you say ...
I deal with OA and I don't believe that's in the autoimmune family but my neighbor was hit with RA a couple yrs ago and she's taking biologics and off and on with steroids and I had thought of gifting her with grape seed ex for 6 months or so but sounds like that's not a good idea ... glad I mentioned this here. Her health has declined so from a strong woman to a very frail one. But she can walk pretty well and I don't with the OA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness