Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 10:25 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times

Advertisements

As far as I could see in this thread, no one suggested sleep apnia. One person did mention having a sleep study done. Doctors can give you a monitor that you take home and use without having to stay overnight. (I haven't had this done).
It seems likely that apnia is a reason for your condition.
I personally use Kirkland over the counter sleep aid. Works great for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 04:26 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You might see if you could get Trazodone. I know you said you do not have health insurance, but if you get a prescription the lowest GoodRx price for the most common version of trazodone is around $4.00. Good friend has severe insomnia, it helps a lot, off-label use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trazodone
My doctor just prescribed this for me on Monday. The first night was a no go, but I slept nine amazing hours last night! (although I also took an OTC sleep aid last night, I wasn't taking chances after Monday night's debacle)

I'll try to remember to report back here on my experience going forward....

[FYI - starting at a 25 mg dose]

Old 04-24-2019, 05:05 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I meditate in my own way. I am in bed, lying on my back, my arms about 30 degrees from my body. Each hand is positioned, palm up, so that my index finger is touching my thumb lightly. I close my eyes, lightly, without putting effort into it. I breath deeply a couple of times through my nose, mouth shut. I then start breathing lightly, and with my eyes shut focus on anything that appears. It could be a bright spot, or dark spot, any thing, just focus on it. Concentrate on the big breath coming through your nose, keeping your focus (with eyes shut on "the object" you see). Thoughts will rush in, but I can push them away by gently focusing back on my breath, when ever my mind starts gets active.

I don't have any mantra. I don't say anything to myself and if I do, I gently focus back on my breathing.

The first step after that - and it may take a while to teach yourself this - is to relax my forehead gently as I breath out, while still focusing on my breathing. I do this repeatedly and feel the tension being released. I have learned to do the same thing with other parts of my body, my hands, my arms, my legs, and my *******, but it took time to learn this. It involves relaxing your muscles., hard to learn.

What happens during all this, visually with my eyes shut, is that all sorts of strange objects start appearing, many geometric. I let them be. I don't necessarily have to focus on them. I just let whatever comes up be there. Eventually, I actually start seeing pictures, like a movie, and that is a signal I am going to sleep. I just let that happen.

You can do this and not sleep. You can do this and sleep for a short while. It does relax me. When I do it to sleep for a long time, I generally sleep 7-8 hours.

I've been doing this since I was 34. I'm 76, now.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
The first rule of fight club...

Old 04-24-2019, 08:35 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Surely there must be some way to see a doctor?
Go to the ER. They have to treat you and, assuming you have no assets or income, they can't charge you.

Try obvious remedies first, including getting off your devices ("blue light syndrome") and using OTC or prescription sleep aids.

But terminal insomnia is a real thing, There is actually an inheritable illness in which victims -- over multiple generations -- first go crazy and then die over a period of months to years due to lack of REM sleep.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:00 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
An emergency room will treat emergencies. The above would not be considered an emergency and it could require seeing someone long term.

I'd suggest doing a search in this forum to try to find something that might work or else somehow moving to a state with expanded medicaid. Sorry, but this is a tough one.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:14 AM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
I looked up your zip code and don't think that you are in a marijuana friendly state. See a doctor. You at least have chronic anxiety. The doc should at least give you Xanax. Talk to him/her about CBD oil also.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:58 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,322,083 times
As soon as the sun goes down- or before - have a light meal- scrambled eggs, etc
Close all curtains to exclude street lights and passing cars lights, etc.
Turn off your phones at 7 pm- or put it on do not disturb ( you can make an exception for your family emergency- tell them do not call after 7. Conversations and news could be stimulating
Stop using tv, computers and phones after 7 pm or even earlier if you can
Take a slow evening walk.
Make sure no exterior or interior noise disturbs you.
Take a warm bath in candlelight if you want before bed.
Replace all LED or CRF with incandescent light bulbs where you spend your evening and in the bedroom ( LED ARE a different spectrum lights, which is actually quite stimulating).
Remove all electronics from your bedroom- routers, cell phones, tablets and computers, tv.
The light and other things they are emitting are extremely stimulating.

Put on a pleasant music or those cd with the sounds of ocean, rain, etc- whatever you prefer.
Read a few pages of a book - ideally outside of the bedroom, but try reading in bed with a low incandescent light -it could be ok.
Take a glass of warmed milk with a teaspoon of honey in bed.
If you can not sleep- don’t stay in bed, go to another room and read or try a puzzle.

Do not get all upset about that. The worry will keep you awake. ( Uninterrupted 8 hour sleep is a relatively modern phenomenon- historians discovered based on diaries that people used to have 2 sleep periods- first right after the sundown, then people would wake up- play games, have s x, write in their diaries and go to sleep again- I am not kidding, I was surprised to learn about it as well)

Go to bed at the same time every evening in a quiet and totally dark room( black out curtains?)
Room should be cool- as cool as you can handle it- get a cosy blanket
Your pajamas and bedding should be 100% cotton or linen- natural materials and no polyester at all.
It should work after some time of this routine.
The fact that you are still alive and asking for help makes me think that your body compensates for a lack of restful sleep by taking a few short multiple naps without you realizing that...

Last edited by Nik4me; 04-24-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 04:19 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I say...let's all sing the poster a lullabye. This way he can drift off to dream land . Besides I read somewhere that boredom can put a person to sleep. So let's be boring and help this person

Old 04-24-2019, 04:29 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
There is no reason to attempt to interact with this OP.

He has serious problems, and they are not just that he cannot sleep.
At least he's not missing a heart, which you most certainly don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness